[net.games.hack] Searching for the Magic Memory Vault

df@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Fox) (08/14/85)

>> >Also, I read a scroll of magic mapping, spotted a vault, and proceeded
>> >to rim the rooms. No 'ad er um'! Is this right?
>> No that you allude to it's significance what is the 'ad er um' all about?
>
>That little note of 'ad?er?um' (or whatever it is exactly) is a marker
>for the *secret* door to the *secret* teleport #.  Once that # has been
>discovered, it is good for only one trip and must be used immediately.
>In other words, reading a scroll of magic mapping will show you the vault
>and the #, but the teleport will no longer function.

But a scroll of magic mapping does not reveal things that must be
discovering by searching. There are three things to be discovered
here - +, ^, and #. It is true the teleportation trap only works
once, but it does not have to be used immediately. Ever been
interrupted by a monster just after finding the trap but not
finding the floor beneath the trap? You must wait until you
see a flash where the trap is - this'll mean you've found the
floor and can now move onto the trap.

But to get back to my original question - has anyone yet gotten
an ad?er?um in 1.0.3?

New question: Is there a limit on the number of turns it can
take to search something out? Or this a completely random thing
every time?

Dave Fox
..!ptsfa!df

zok@avsdS.UUCP (Mark Rodal) (08/16/85)

> >> No that you allude to it's significance what is the 'ad er um' all about?

Not all levels with vaults in them have 'ad er um' in them. There is a random
chance that there won't be one. Also there is a chance that levels with
no vaults have 'ad er um'. Or so the source would seem to say.

> But to get back to my original question - has anyone yet gotten
> an ad?er?um in 1.0.3?

I have been playing 1.0.3 for a while and found 'ad?er?um' before I read
about it. But I couldn't get get out of the vault with my gold.
The old dropping your gold and picking it up doesn't work any more
and as a cave man I couldn't figure a way out. READING the sources
I found a way out, when the guard asks you who you are, tell him the right
name and he will leave you alone. I haven't done this yet so I don't know
if he leaves you a neat passage to get out with.
The name you give the guard is a REAL SPOILER and if you want to be
a real true blue hacker type 'n' now

The name is either Coresus or Kroisos , both will work.
How one would figure this out without the sources is a beyond me.

To get back to your question about 1.0.3.....Yes.

				Zok

when I roll my head across the keyboard it looks like this

f4vr5cgt6hy8jhu7y6gt5f54cvgtrde33xdw2seq56ft4gr67yght

zok@avsdS.UUCP (Mark Rodal) (08/16/85)

> I found a way out, when the guard asks you who you are, tell him the right
> name and he will leave you alone. I haven't done this yet so I don't know
> if he leaves you a neat passage to get out with.

I just tried it out the guard says ok and closes the goddam door and leaves
you stuck in the vault...... Oh well.......

			Zok

When I Bang My fist on the keyboard it looks like this

l .;szal.k salk .,osdxz .,k ldxcsz , .lkixsdz f, .lkoixsdez , .lkioxsdz

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/16/85)

I have seen a few ad?er?um's in 1.0.3 and followed the teleport
into the vault.  While s'ing for the secret door and the space
beyond I have never seen the symbol for trap appear, only the
floor-of-corridor symbol.

Since I no longer like to eat dead L's or N's (too much nuisance)
I can't find any way to rob the vault w/o a teleport scroll.
The guard seems to have wised up and now will not budge as long
as any gold is outside the vault or on the doorway of the vault.

A question:  in one game as a tourist I started without any dog.
Was there some compensatory feature which I overlooked?  There
was a Gnome next to me but it seemed hostile.  Should I have fed
it?

Does anyone know the meaning of the fortune cookie hint that says
"It is not always a good idea to whistle for your dog"?
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

brisco@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (T.p.) (08/20/85)

>The old dropping your gold and picking it up doesn't work any more
>and as a cave man I couldn't figure a way out. READING the sources
>I found a way out, when the guard asks you who you are, tell him the right
>name and he will leave you alone. I haven't done this yet so I don't know
>if he leaves you a neat passage to get out with.
>The name you give the guard is a REAL SPOILER and if you want to be
>a real true blue hacker type 'n' now
>	.
>	.
>	.
>The name is either Coresus or Kroisos , both will work.
>How one would figure this out without the sources is a beyond me.

	In hack 1.0.2 there is something similiar; if you
reply "Croeseus" (sic) you will get the message: "Oh, sorry
to have bothered you" and the guard will promptly leave you
alone.  Unfortunately, he will also close the door and
leave you no path to leave by.

	The best way OUT is to take a scroll of teleport
or some sort of teleportation (or a pick-axe!) IN with you.

				tp.
- ARPA: Brisco@rutgers					        -
- UUCP: (ihnp4!ut-sally, siesmo, allegra!packard) !topaz!brisco -

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (08/20/85)

	"Since I no longer like to eat dead L's or N's (too much
	nuisance) I can't find any way to rob the vault w/o a teleport
	scroll.  The guard seems to have wised up and now will not
	budge as long as any gold is outside the vault or on the
	doorway of the vault."

You can escape by digging a tunnel with a wang of digging or a pick-axe.

When I find a wand of wishing, my first two wishes are for "a pick-axe"
and "an expensive camera".  Wonderful tools, even in the hands of a
caveman.  The last two are generally for "a +3 elven cloak" and "a +3
crysknife".  But lately I've been finding that it's better to hold on
to these wishes; recently I was saved from starvation only by my wish
for "three food rations."

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/21/85)

In article <922@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>I have seen a few ad?er?um's in 1.0.3 and followed the teleport
>into the vault.  While s'ing for the secret door and the space
>beyond I have never seen the symbol for trap appear, only the
>floor-of-corridor symbol.

If you 's' long enuf you'll find the trap, but no need to.

>I can't find any way to rob the vault w/o a teleport scroll.

How do you rob shops without teleport? with a wand of digging of course!
Also as a speleologist you can DIG your way out -- slowly.

>A question:  in one game as a tourist I started without any dog.

It happened to me once too; never could figure the why or the wherefor...

>Does anyone know the meaning of the fortune cookie hint that says
>"It is not always a good idea to whistle for your dog"?

It might wake up sleeping monsters, e.g. N,L .
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

roy@medstar.UUCP (Roy Talledo) (08/21/85)

> But to get back to my original question - has anyone yet gotten
> an ad?er?um in 1.0.3?
>
> Dave Fox
> ..!ptsfa!df

I have gotten an ad?er?um many times in 1.0.3.  I had one game where I
discovered at least 3 vaults.

Roy
dd
--
Roy A. Talledo

Medical Systems Technology & Research (MedSTAR)
Atlanta, GA

uucp:  ..!{akgua,gatech}!medstar!roy