[net.games.hack] Neophyte hack player would like help

james@ur-laser.uucp (James Chavin) (08/20/85)

     I have just starting playing Hack and I have several elementary questions.

1:  Which type of charactor is the best to use?

2:  What are gems for, and how does one use them?

3:  How does one use wands?

4:  Does a wizard have any magical abilities, and if so, how does one use them?

5:  Sometimes my charctor seems to start in a closed system.  In one or two
    rooms from which there is no exit.  What is the procedure when there appears
    to be no further places to move to?

6:  Is there a way by which one can know the properties of a ring or a potion
    before using it?   Do the colors of the potion mean anything?

Thanks in advance,

James Chavin
Laboratory for Laser Energetics
University of Rochester
250 East River Road
Rochester, New York 14623
{allegra,seismo} !rochester!ur-laser!james

christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) (08/23/85)

In article <299@ur-laser.uucp> of Tue, 20-Aug-85 23:28:59 GMT
james@ur-laser.uucp (James Chavin) writes:

>1:  Which type of charactor is the best to use?

They've all got advantages and disadvantages, and it's hard too
determine a "best" one. Many players at our site prefer the wizard.

>2:  What are gems for, and how does one use them?

You can sell them too the shopkeepers, by dropping them in a shop, and
you can throw them at unicorns, thereby increasing your luck. (Luck is
a property of your character, and affects a lot of things, among them
the chance of hiting monsters.)

>3:  How does one use wands?

With the z command. Some wands are good for atacking monsters, and
require a direction, other work without a supplied direction.

>4: Does a wizard have any magical abilities, and if so, how does one use them?

No, he only starts out with some magical items.

>5: Sometimes my charcter seems to start in a closed system.  In one or two
>   rooms from which there is no exit. What is the procedure when there appears
>    to be no further places to move to?

Search for secret doors with the s command. On low levels some ten s
are usually needed to detect a (secret) door.

>6:  Is there a way by which one can know the properties of a ring or a potion
>    before using it?   Do the colors of the potion mean anything?

No too both questions, though,
all potions, scrolls, rings and wands of the same "class" have the same
color, name or material. You could call a "class" something with the c
command and all items of that "class" will show up called <something>
(e.g. a green potion called foobar). When you use some items (thoose
whose effect is obvious (e.g. potion)) hack will tell you there "real"
names, and the same thing will happen if you identify them with a
scroll of identification.
--
Snail Mail: Christer Johansson	    Net Mail: seismo!mcvax!enea!kuling!christer
            Sernandersv. 9:134

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/26/85)

In article <781@kuling.UUCP> christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) writes:

>>4: Does a wizard have any magical abilities, and if so, how does one use them?
>
>No, he only starts out with some magical items.

Not quite true; a wizard can use a magic whistle and can teleport(^T)
much sooner than the other chars.

In the case of the magic whistle, its magical effect manifests itself
whenever a wizard uses it ("a strange whistling sound" and voila`!
Rover is there right beside you).  For the other chars, they must wait
until their experience levels is >= 9 before the whistle, if it is a
magical one, will produce the "strange whistling sound".

For ^T, a wizard can teleport after experience level >= 6,(provided a
teleporting creature has been eaten, ie one of L,N,t) but the other
chars must wait until their exp.level >= 10 before ^T works for them.

>>2:  What are gems for, and how does one use them?
>
>You can sell them too the shopkeepers, by dropping them in a shop, and
>you can throw them at unicorns, thereby increasing your luck.

I've got a question of my own: do unicorns never stay in your
"line of direct throw"? They seem to jump about everywhere except where
you can throw something directly at them.

--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto