[net.games.hack] Unicorns, discoveries of wands and potions

df@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Fox) (08/30/85)

In article <249@utflis.UUCP> chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
>I've got a question of my own: do unicorns never stay in your
>"line of direct throw"? They seem to jump about everywhere except where
>you can throw something directly at them.

In the one game I encountered unicorns, I was successful
in one or two throws, then the unicorn teleported.
Does the thrown gem have to have been discovered in order to gain luck?

Whatever luck I gained didn't help me against &s (demons).
I didn't have wand of cancellation, and even though I had good strength,
weapons, and armor on level 23, they eventually pummeled me.
Any strategies on fighting these?

I've come to the conclusion that the best monster to test wands on is
a floating eye. About the worst thing to do to a monster is turn him
invisible. But this led to finally finding a positive use for this wand -
if you can't see the eye, you can't be frozen by its gaze. Stomp.

Love the new #dip command for avoiding poison potions. And it's a
double bonus because whatever weapon you dip gets enchanted +1.

Dave Fox
..!ptsfa!df            "I had to get up anyways"

beyer@fluke.UUCP (09/06/85)

In article <839@ptsfa.UUCP> df@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Fox) writes:
>In the one game I encountered unicorns, I was successful
>in one or two throws, then the unicorn teleported.
>Does the thrown gem have to have been discovered in order to gain luck?

In the last game I played, I was on level 28 (my third maze), and I was
throwing gems at unicorns with no problems. Everytime one would end up next
to me,  I'd throw it any gem that wasn't identified. The message "...accepts
grateful gift..." would print. At another stage in the game, I threw a
onyx gem and the same message appeared. So I guess the my luck went up!

Now I've got some questions.

 ***** SPOILER ****

	1.	What's the method of going down through the mazes?
		I had my potion of confusion, ring of Teleport control,
		ring of teleport, and I had even eaten t's, L's etc..

		Nothing would work, is there some order to it?

	2.	The floor in the maze is too tough to dig down in, so with
		my pick-axe I dug into the wall until I was I couldn't go
		any further (Got message Clank?). I tried to dig down, but
		had no luck. When I was in this situation, a dragon got next
		to me and blew his fire. I got a bunch of errors, saying I's
		better quit and that they game was broken! I think this was
		caused by being off of the maze and having the monster after
		me. Has anyone else run into this same thing?

I ended up going up the stairs to a level with rooms, and digging a hole.
Then I kept going back up to this level and going through this hole, which
was now a trap door. This was the only was I could get past maze level 26.

Any help with the above questions would be most appreciated!

{uw-beaver,decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,ssc-vax}!fluke!beyer
               Jeff Beyer; John Fluke Mfg. Co MS 223B;
                   PO Box C9090 Everett WA 98206
                          (206) 356-5986