[net.games.hack] How to get to experience level 11+ instantly

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (08/28/85)

If the hack on your system has the mail daemon implemented,
it is easy to get a big score and to get lots of experience.
Shortly after entering hack, do a shell escape (type !) and
send mail to yourself.  Then exit your shell (do it pretty
fast -- I'm not sure if it matters) and continue your game.
When the mail daemon (looks like a '2') runs up to you and says,
"hello <your name>, I have some mail for you -- more", turn
off your terminal (generate a hangup signal).  This saves
your game.  When you restart the game, the mail daemon will
be standing next to you.  One hit should kill it, and it is
worth a LOT of points.

Turning off the terminal is also handy when you step into a
sleeping gas trap with monsters around.

Actually this is a bug.  The restore utility should probably
check for these (and other?) situations to prevent this
kind of cheating.

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

"I'd never THINK of taking advantage of hack bugs..."

aer@alice.UucP (y) (08/30/85)

Did anyone ever notice how naming your dog "Lucky" increases one's luck severalfold?

And would someone please post the # commands and ^ (control - I mean) commands
that are available?
Thanx in advance.

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (09/07/85)

I tried sending myself mail, but the "2" never appeared.  What do
I have to do to get this to happen?

Thanks,

--Lynn
...tymix!figmo

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (09/07/85)

> I tried sending myself mail, but the "2" never appeared.  What do
> I have to do to get this to happen?

You have to set the environment variable "MAIL" before playing.
It should be set to wherever your mail is kept by the system
(possibly /usr/mail/tymix or /usr/spool/mail/tymix).
Also, your hack must be compiled with "scrolls of mail" enabled
(ask the person that installed hack).

I should have mentioned this before, sorry.

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (09/07/85)

In article <835@whuxlm.UUCP> wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) writes:
>> I tried sending myself mail, but the "2" never appeared.  What do
>> I have to do to get this to happen?
>
>You have to set the environment variable "MAIL" before playing.
>It should be set to wherever your mail is kept by the system
>(possibly /usr/mail/tymix or /usr/spool/mail/tymix).
>Also, your hack must be compiled with "scrolls of mail" enabled
>(ask the person that installed hack).

You also need to do a "biff n" if your system supports it. Otherwise, instead
of a "2" chasing you, you'll get the usual notification that you have mail.
(At least this is what happens in our implementation on 4.1 BSD...)
The following is a csh script (if you don't have csh, chances are you don't
have biff either :-) ), which we use to start hack up, instead of the one
provided in the distribution (which I beleive contains some errors).
You can use this instead, by replacing the correct paths for the hack
directory and executable.
-----CUT HERE-----
#!/bin/csh -f
setenv HACK /usr/games/hack
setenv HACKDIR /usr/games/lib/hackdir
setenv MAIL /usr/spool/mail/$USER
/usr/ucb/biff n
set b=$status
$HACK $*
if ($b == 0) biff y
-----CUT HERE-----
--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)
------

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (09/10/85)

To get the trick with mail to work ('2's showing up and killing them.) you
have to have a flag set when you compile hack. Talk to whomever compiled
hack and your site and complain. (Noone here complain, it's not going in.)

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson