[net.games.hack] What is 'Charon's boat'?

boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) (09/10/85)

..     ..     ..     ..     ..     ..

I have this line in my score file.  I made number 4 on the list.

4 4122  boozer-W quit on dungeon level 7 while already on Charon's boat.

This is a strange entry.  No Hp entry or Max Hp entry.

I was loosing to a beatle.  I quit during a 'MORE' while I had fainted due to
hunger.  The beatle was killing me as I slept.  I quit with a pending MORE on
the screen and got the Charon's boat message.

Any ideas??

gab

--

              #=====#
               !   !

qwerty@drutx.UUCP (Brian Jones) (09/11/85)

Charon ('kar-en) :son of Erebus who in Greek myth ferries the souls
of the dead over the river Styx.

I suspect the next message after the More was one of your expiration,
and that the quit recognized you for what you were - dead.

Just speculation.
--

Brian Jones  aka  {ihnp4,}!drutx!qwerty  @  AT&T-IS, Denver

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (09/12/85)

Charon was the boatkeeper on the river Styx that took the dead across to
Hades. (I'm probably mixing Greek and Roman here.) Subject of a few songs
and quite a few myths. Anyhow, it means that you were already dead when
you quit out of the game to save yourself from losing points.

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (09/12/85)

Charon is the guy who takes the dead across the river Styx to
the land of the dead (you remember the story).  It can be very
convenient to control-c out of a -more- when you suspect you
are going to die if you hit return...you don't get that 10%
taken away.  It's a good thing you DID quit when you did, or you
wouldda been a dead duck.

--
"Ya know, I really *love* a phone tent."
Shelli Meyers

olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson) (09/12/85)

Glenn Boozer writes :

> I have this line in my score file.  I made number 4 on the list.
>
> 4 4122  boozer-W quit on dungeon level 7 while already on Charon's boat.
> I was loosing to a beatle.  I quit during a 'MORE' while I had fainted due to
> hunger.  The beatle was killing me as I slept.  I quit with a pending MORE on
> the screen and got the Charon's boat message.
>
> Any ideas??

  In Greek mythology, Charon is the guy who ferries your soul across the river
Styx to Hades in his rowboat.  You are, of course, dead...  In some
accounts you have to pay for the privilege, which may have something to
do with the custom of putting coins on dead people's eyes - or is that some
other mythology?  In any event, hack had apparently already rolled the dice
and decided that you were going to die, hence the "Charon's boat" message.

- tom (no END of cute hacks in hack!) olson

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (09/13/85)

> I have this line in my score file.  I made number 4 on the list.
>
> 4 4122  boozer-W quit on dungeon level 7 while already on Charon's boat.
>

> This is a strange entry.  No Hp entry or Max Hp entry.
>
> I was loosing to a beatle.  I quit during a 'MORE' while I had fainted due to
> hunger.  The beatle was killing me as I slept.  I quit with a pending MORE on
> the screen and got the Charon's boat message.
>           {ihnp4, ucbvax!dual}!fortune!sixpack!boozer

Look to Greek mythology for an answer.  Charon was the ferryman who
took you over the river Styx, to the land of the dead.  The remark
was probably due to the fact that you were already almost dead,
i.e. on Charon's boat.

			Lord Kahless

richl@lumiere.UUCP (Rick Lindsley) (09/13/85)

It means you were already dead, but just hadn't been notified! When you
quit, you had probably just taken your fatal blow.

Rick Lindsley

gdmr@cstvax.UUCP (George D M Ross) (09/14/85)

In article <5540@fortune.UUCP> boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) writes:
>4 4122  boozer-W quit on dungeon level 7 while already on Charon's boat.
>I was loosing to a beatle.  I quit during a 'MORE' while I had fainted due to
>hunger.  The beatle was killing me as I slept.  I quit with a pending MORE on
>the screen and got the Charon's boat message.
>Any ideas??

Sounds like you'd succumbed to the beatle (which one of them was it, BTW :-)
and your soul was already on its way across the Styx when you quit....
--
George D M Ross, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh
Phone: +44 31-667 1081 x2730

lum@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) (09/15/85)

After reading about a dozen replies to this question, I vote that it
be added to the list of questions *not* to be asked that is published
(with the answers) monthly in net.announce.newusers.  Anyone want to
nominate other frequently asked and answered questions for that honor?

Lum Johnson ..!cbsogd!osu-eddie!lum or lum@osu-eddie.uucp

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (09/16/85)

***

> 4 4122  boozer-W quit on dungeon level 7 while already on Charon's boat.
>
> I was loosing to a beatle.  I quit during a 'MORE' while I had fainted due to
> hunger.  The beatle was killing me as I slept.  I quit with a pending MORE on
> the screen and got the Charon's boat message.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> gab

In Greek mythology, Charon is the boatman who ferries the dead over
the river Styx into the Underworld.  Being "in Charon's boat" is
therefore like having "one foot in the grave". (as you did)
Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al  |   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al
"Death is Nature's way of telling us to slow down"