[net.games.hack] Hack status line "Str 18/96" -- What is a "flail"

boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) (09/18/85)

..    ..    ..    ..    ..    ..

What does the 96 in "Str 18/96" mean on the hack status line?

What is a "flail"?     I have one.  What do I do with it?  What is it?

Thanks,

gab

--

              #=====#
               !   !

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (09/20/85)

In article <> boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) writes:
>What does the 96 in "Str 18/96" mean on the hack status line?
>What is a "flail"?     I have one.  What do I do with it?  What is it?

"Str 18/96".  That sounds like AD&D to me.  In Advanced Dungeons and Dragons,
which Rogue and Hack are based upon, statistics are Strength, Intelligence,
Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma.  They all run from 3 to 18.
However, if you are a fighter (in AD&D, I don't play hack until I can get
it to compile here), then you can have exceptional strength, which is from
1 to 100, or, as the percentile dice are 0 to 9, 01 to 00.  18/00 is the
highest possible strength in AD&D without magical enhancement (like girdles
of giant strength).  I suggest drinking many potions of gain strength to
go up to exceptional strength (it does that in rogue 3.6.1) if you don't
start out that way.
  I think a flail is a nasty weapon that you flail around and hurt people
with, don't have the PHB within reach here.  Try looking in the Player's
Handbook from TSR.
						Carl Greenberg
						AD&D Player