[net.games.hack] How do gost levels work?

boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) (09/24/85)

..     ..     ..     ..     ..     ..     ..

I just had a level with 2 ghost's and 3 dog's.  What a mess.  If there is a
bones_?? file in .../hack, what/when/where will there be a ghost on the ??
level.  I had 2 ghost's hitting me at the same time (2 dogs also!).  What is
the MAX number of ghosts per level?

If I polymorph the ghost(s) and kill its new form, is this no longer a ghost
level according to bones_?? ?

I have 11 bones_?? files [from 2-22].  Is this an excessive number?

Do bones_?? files ever go away?  When?

What kind of "getting killed" creates a bones_?? file?

Thanks,

gab

--

              #=====#
               !   !

In article <5581@fortune.UUCP> boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) writes:
>..     ..     ..     ..     ..     ..     ..
>
>I just had a level with 2 ghost's and 3 dog's.  What a mess.  If there is a
>bones_?? file in .../hack, what/when/where will there be a ghost on the ??
>level.  I had 2 ghost's hitting me at the same time (2 dogs also!).  What is
>the MAX number of ghosts per level?

	There will be a ghost on a ghost level for *every* character
killed on that level. Once a bones file is created it "captures" all
deaths, so there is *no* maximum. The ghost(s) will be located at the
spot they were killed on, unless they were killed on the stairs, in
which case they are deflected one position to the side.

>If I polymorph the ghost(s) and kill its new form, is this no longer a ghost
>level according to bones_?? ?
>Do bones_?? files ever go away?  When?

	I believe when the *last* ghost on a level goes away the bone
file disapears. BTW, if you have a good enough weapon or are high
enough in level you can actually hit and kill a ghost!

>I have 11 bones_?? files [from 2-22].  Is this an excessive number?

	Not if you play alot.

>What kind of "getting killed" creates a bones_?? file?

	It is random, every time you are killed on a non-ghost level
it "rolls" dice to determine whether to create a bones file. In fact
entering an existing ghost level is random also. That is, say there is
a bones file for level 4. When you go down the stairs to level 4 there
is a 25% chance that you will end up in the ghost level and a 75%
chance you will get a "new"(ghost-free) level 4.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa