[net.games.hack] shopkeepers abandoning their shops?

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (09/30/85)

I recently played a game as a spelunker in which shopkeepers seemed to
be sleeping in rooms other than their shops.  I carefully went nowhere
near the shopkeepers, looted the shops (the loot wasn't marked
"unpaid", it was free for the asking), then ran for the stairs down.
In the first case, the shopkeeper left his shop before I got to him; in
the second case, I visited the shop once and met the keeper, left to
kill some monsters, then returned to find an empty shop.

Has anyone else seen this?  I've played a lot of games from this binary
(hack version 1.0.3 with two unrelated mods), but have only encountered
this behavior during one game.  I am quite sure that no ghost levels
were involved, as I play on a single-user workstation (no load average
blues!) and had just deleted the old bones files before beginning.

Is it a feature or a bug?

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

In article <1787@orca.UUCP> andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>I recently played a game as a spelunker in which shopkeepers seemed to
>be sleeping in rooms other than their shops.  I carefully went nowhere
>near the shopkeepers, looted the shops (the loot wasn't marked
>"unpaid", it was free for the asking), then ran for the stairs down.
>In the first case, the shopkeeper left his shop before I got to him; in
>the second case, I visited the shop once and met the keeper, left to
>kill some monsters, then returned to find an empty shop.
>
>Is it a feature or a bug?

	Its a feature. When a shop is looted a shopkeeper will
sometimes chase after the robber and follow him around saying
something about paying up. If the level is or becomes a ghost level
the next person into that level will find the keeper out of his shop.
Don't worry too much about him tho, unless he is actually in your way,
since only being attacked will wake him up.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

bw@hp-pcd.UUCP (bw) (10/08/85)

Being the proud possessor of a ring of conflict early on in a game, I robbed
an antique shop and found Manlobbi following me, reminding me of things left
undone.  If I didn't bump into him, all he would do is ask that stupid
question over and over.  So just for kicks, I put on my ring of conflict
and stayed close to Manlobbi.

You guessed it!  Manlobbi became my bodyguard. He's much more efficient than a
dog and doesn't eat the prey.  I took him down a level with me and found
another shop.  I cleaned out the shop while the tough-guy competition took
place in the corner.

Now here is a way to cream the shopkeeper and take his gold without losing
luck points. (It seems that killing humans is unlucky--is this right?)
Anyway, enter the shop with your bodyguard, engrave Elbereth and stand
adjacent to the conflict. When one shopkeeper falls, jump on his pot of
gold.  You'd better do it fast because the victor heads for the spoils.

Whoever wins the conflict is your friend.  You can always have a bodyguard
with you.  I haven't taken him into the zoo yet...

Bill Wilhelmi
Corvallis, Orygun
hplabs!hp-pcd!bw