[net.games.hack] Why wasn't I invulnerable?

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (10/21/85)

Ok, I got a wand of wishing!  After Christmas was over, I was the prowd
owner of:
a +4 plate mail (being worn)
a +4 helmet (being worn)
a +4 shield (being worn)
a +4 elven cloak (being worn)
3 +7 crysknives (weapon in hand)
a +2 ring of increase damage (on left hand)
a +1 ring of protection (on right hand)

Not too long after that, I came upon David's treasure zoo.  I was kicking
butt like nobody's business and after eating four Wraiths, found myself at
experience level 12 with 89 hit points and 18/76 strong.

Several dungeon levels later, I started noticing that I wasn't as tough as I
thought.  As a matter of fact, I was having a really rough time with every-
one.  I survived, but it was taking three or four direct hits to put away
monsters as mundane as Yetis and killer bees.  If not for the incredible
armor class of -21 I would not have gotten as far as I did.

Finally, I stumbled into a land of the dead of sorts.  I was surrounded by
Vampires, said goodbye to all of my levels and was put away.
With this awesome array of weapons and armor, why was I having such a hard
time?  Does your armor class and/or weapon power wrap-around after getting
to a certain level?  Does the game decide that you are just too powerful
and boost the monsters to match you?

Perhaps next time I'll wish for 52 scrolls of genocide.

--pat traynor--

arpa->  ptraynor@bbnccv.arpa

rossj@dartvax.UUCP (Ross Jacobs) (10/22/85)

In article <333@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:

>Ok, I got a wand of wishing!  After Christmas was over, I was the prowd
>owner of:
>a +4 plate mail (being worn)
>a +4 helmet (being worn)
>a +4 shield (being worn)
>a +4 elven cloak (being worn)
>3 +7 crysknives (weapon in hand)
>a +2 ring of increase damage (on left hand)
>a +1 ring of protection (on right hand)
>
>Not too long after that, I came upon David's treasure zoo.  I was kicking
>butt like nobody's business and after eating four Wraiths, found myself at
>experience level 12 with 89 hit points and 18/76 strong.
>
>Several dungeon levels later, I started noticing that I wasn't as tough as I
>thought.  As a matter of fact, I was having a really rough time with every-
>one.  I survived, but it was taking three or four direct hits to put away
>monsters as mundane as Yetis and killer bees.  If not for the incredible
>armor class of -21 I would not have gotten as far as I did.
>
>Finally, I stumbled into a land of the dead of sorts.  I was surrounded by
>Vampires, said goodbye to all of my levels and was put away.
>With this awesome array of weapons and armor, why was I having such a hard
>time?  Does your armor class and/or weapon power wrap-around after getting
>to a certain level?  Does the game decide that you are just too powerful
>and boost the monsters to match you?
>
>Perhaps next time I'll wish for 52 scrolls of genocide.

      Ah yes, a wand of wishing.  Fun aren't they? Maybe, Pat, but it's all
a question of what you wish for that can lead to the amulet.  First thing that
I wish for all depends on what my current status is.  If I have good armor,
I really dont need a +7 plate mail.  If I have an enchanted two-handed sword
or a crysknife, I dont need another crysknife.  It might sound silly to you,
but if I have a lot of goodies already, I wish for a clove of garlic.  Might
sound silly....but what killed you? Genociding vamipres isnt a bad idea either.

     Monsters do get meaner after a point. Of course.  But something that is a
must after level, say, 15, is a nurse.  Find a nurse.  Go empty handed and take
off all your armor.  89 hit points just ain't enough. What she does is beat on
you if you are wearing armor or wielding a weapon, but if you're naked and
defenseless, she heals you....then raises your maximum hit points(!).  Running
into an n is something you need....if you have a wand of polymorph and some timeto kill, just zap around. Maybe you'll get lucky. It's the only way you can get above 150 hit points. Which you're gonna need in the maze and thereabouts.

     One more thing. Yetis and killer bees ae by no means mundane. A poison     sting can mess you up. The things to watch for are ettins, trappers, demons,
dragons, etc.  But remember, while you may have wailed on quasits, jaguars,
zombies, and orcs, the monsters do get meaner and meaner.  Remember the kobold
that gave you trouble on level 3? He's cake compared to a run-in with a purple
worm's digestive tract.

     By the way, 3 potions of gain level or gain strength are good ideas when
you have a wish or two.  Also--the best weapon in the dungeon isn't your
crysknife.  Try a heavy iron ball.  Ever been hit by a refrigerator?

                                         --Ross

                                           Ross Jacobs
                                    {ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!rossj
                                      ARPA:  rossj%dartmouth@csnet-relay
                                     CSNET:  rossj@dartmouth

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (10/23/85)

In article <333@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:

>Ok, I got a wand of wishing!  After Christmas was over, I was the prowd
>owner of:
>a +4 plate mail (being worn)
>a +4 helmet (being worn)
>a +4 shield (being worn)
>a +4 elven cloak (being worn)
>3 +7 crysknives (weapon in hand)
>a +2 ring of increase damage (on left hand)
>a +1 ring of protection (on right hand)
>
>Not too long after that, I came upon David's treasure zoo.  I was kicking
>butt like nobody's business and after eating four Wraiths, found myself at
>experience level 12 with 89 hit points and 18/76 strong.

Not bad...

>Several dungeon levels later, I started noticing that I wasn't as tough as I
>thought.  As a matter of fact, I was having a really rough time with every-
>one.  I survived, but it was taking three or four direct hits to put away
>monsters as mundane as Yetis and killer bees.  If not for the incredible
>armor class of -21 I would not have gotten as far as I did.

Brute strength alone does not a winner make...

>Finally, I stumbled into a land of the dead of sorts.  I was surrounded by
>Vampires, said goodbye to all of my levels and was put away.

No wonder at all...

>With this awesome array of weapons and armor, why was I having such a hard
>time?  Does your armor class and/or weapon power wrap-around after getting
>to a certain level?  Does the game decide that you are just too powerful
>and boost the monsters to match you?

No wrap-around, but just because you think you are powerful doesn't
mean you can forget about using your head.  If you had thought before
dying, writing "Elbereth" in the dust and throwing missiles might have
saved you.  Also, I didn't see you mention magic items like potions of
gain level, potions of gain strength, wand of death, wand of fire, scrolls
of genocide, and scrolls of tame monster.  These are important items,
and should not be forgotten the next time you happen to run across
a wand of wishing.  Sure, there are plenty of things to wish for, but
you have to decide what to get.  I just thought I would make a few
minor suggestions.  They always workedd for me...

>Perhaps next time I'll wish for 52 scrolls of genocide.

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

--nadya

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/24/85)

>In article <333@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:
>>
>>Ok, I got a wand of wishing!  After Christmas was over, I was the prowd
>>owner of:
[Many wonderful magical items.]

>>Not too long after that, I came upon David's treasure zoo.  I was kicking
>>butt like nobody's business and after eating four Wraiths, found myself at
>>experience level 12 with 89 hit points and 18/76 strong.
>>
>>Several dungeon levels later, I started noticing that I wasn't as tough as I
>>thought.  As a matter of fact, I was having a really rough time with every-
>>one.  I survived, but it was taking three or four direct hits to put away
>>monsters as mundane as Yetis and killer bees.  If not for the incredible
>>armor class of -21 I would not have gotten as far as I did.

You had so many magic items, I'm assuming that you squeezed the extra wishes
out of your wands of wishing, and wished for extra wands of wishing.
I believe that squeezing the extra wish out costs you one luck point from
your total; receiving a fully-charged wand of wishing from a wish does the
same, too.
So by the time you finished you were pretty down on luck.  Had you killed any
defenseless monsters, or your dog, or something?

>>Perhaps next time I'll wish for 52 scrolls of genocide.

Never thought of that... would be nice, though, wouldn't it?

G. T. Samson
Microwizard Evil, Inc.
gts@wjh12.HARVARD.edu

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (10/25/85)

In article <631@h-sc1.UUCP> gts@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (G. T. Samson) writes:
>>In article <333@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:
>>>
>>>Ok, I got a wand of wishing!  After Christmas was over, I was the prowd
>>>owner of:
>[Many wonderful magical items.]
>>>
>>>Not too long after that, I came upon David's treasure zoo.  I was kicking
>>>butt like nobody's business and after eating four Wraiths, found myself at
>>>experience level 12 with 89 hit points and 18/76 strong.
>>>
>>>Several dungeon levels later, I started noticing that I wasn't as tough as I
>>>thought.  As a matter of fact, I was having a really rough time with every-
>>>one.  I survived, but it was taking three or four direct hits to put away
>>>monsters as mundane as Yetis and killer bees.  If not for the incredible
>>>armor class of -21 I would not have gotten as far as I did.
>>>
>You had so many magic items, I'm assuming that you squeezed the extra wishes
>out of your wands of wishing, and wished for extra wands of wishing.
>I believe that squeezing the extra wish out costs you one luck point from
>your total; receiving a fully-charged wand of wishing from a wish does the
>same, too.
>So by the time you finished you were pretty down on luck.  Had you killed any
>defenseless monsters, or your dog, or something?

Yes, that is exactly what I did.  After wasting every shopkeeper I came
accross (lots of loot & experience points) I accidentally killed my dog
while I was blind (I hadn't eaten a Floating Eye yet).  If that wasn't
bad enough, I mistook a unicorn for an Umber Hulk and death-rayed five
luck points.  From then on, I landed about one in every thirty blows.

So let that be a lesson for you youngsters:
"Do unto others before \e\r\o\f\e\b as you would have them do unto you..."
Don't piss off the shopkeepers (Someone gave a great method of getting all
their money, not too long ago).
BE NICE TO THE UNICORNS!!
Luck plays an important part in the game.

Thanks for the tip, G.T. Sampson!

--pat traynor--

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/27/85)

>>Perhaps next time I'll wish for 52 scrolls of genocide.
>
>Would be nice, wouldn't it?

Sounds boring to me.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Analysis, Spock?"
"Very bad poetry, sir."

bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (10/29/85)

having lots of metal doesn't do diddly-squat against magic.
remember you are in a "magic" dungeon so magic is ALWAYS
stronger than metal once you get to a reasonable level > 8.
it's better to piss off shopkeepers and let them follow you
around.  then get a "ring of conflict" and watch your new
"slave" kill everything in sight including other shopkeepers
and vault guards.
or feed your puppy everything in sight.  once puppy becomes
a "large dog" your luck points increase bigtime.