[net.games.hack] New Player

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (10/17/85)

I'm new to playing hack and I was wondering if anyone has any good
hints or informations that will help me get my characters past the
first couple levels. Some questions below, in particular.

   How do you keep a Wizard alive, while amassing ExpPts by killing
     monsters without using up all charges in wands, especially before
     even knowing what the wand type?

   Do you get ExpPts for creatures your dog kills? How do you give
     your dog a tripe ration? How to you tame a dog? Avoid running
     into him?

   What character is best for a new player? What are the REAL advantages
     of each character class?

   How strong are the various monsters (i.e. HP)? How many ExpPts
     for killing one?

These are just a sample of some questions. I would appreciate any help
I could get so that my character has a chance to get a respectable score
and get past level 3 and Experience Level 3. Thanks.

					Scott A. Stewart
					LMSC - Sunnyvale

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (10/22/85)

It seems to me, Mr. Wong, that you have missed at least part of the point of
the game. Exploring options and discovering the relative strengths and weakness-
es of various creatures in the HACK environment was designed to be a part of
the challenge!

Here's a hint though: You don't get somethin' fer nothin'

Here's another: Be nice to the shopkeepers *heheh*

			     skippin' o'er th' timelines ag'in
			     the ever-present whisper spirit

"... where ever you go; there you are !"  >>> Buckaroo Banzai

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (10/22/85)

In article <652@leadsv.UUCP> sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) writes:
>I'm new to playing hack and I was wondering if anyone has any good
>hints or informations that will help me get my characters past the
>first couple levels. Some questions below, in particular.
>
>   How do you keep a Wizard alive, while amassing ExpPts by killing
>     monsters without using up all charges in wands, especially before
>     even knowing what the wand type?

Keeping a Wizard alive is tough, but not quite as tough as a Tourist or
Speleologist.  You should want to test your wands anyway.  Or if you
find a scroll of identify...

>   Do you get ExpPts for creatures your dog kills? How do you give
>     your dog a tripe ration? How to you tame a dog? Avoid running
>     into him?

Yes, you get experience points for killing your dog.  He is a monster just
like the rest of them.  But you also *lose* luck points.  And if you eat
him, it acts like a ring of aggravate monster that you can never take off...

>   What character is best for a new player? What are the REAL advantages
>     of each character class?

I would syggest the Caveman, for his brute strength and high strength points.

>   How strong are the various monsters (i.e. HP)? How many ExpPts
>     for killing one?

	 can only suggest HACKHINTS for this one.  Ask around, I am sure
someone will give you a copy.
--nadya

freak@ihlpa.UUCP (c e malloy) (10/29/85)

> In article <652@leadsv.UUCP> sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) writes:
> 	 can only suggest HACKHINTS for this one.  Ask around, I am sure
> someone will give you a copy.
> --nadya

	Why not post them yourself.  I am sure that there are others
that would like to see them also.  And if you don't have them then maybe
someone who does will post them.

From inside the Tesseract of
	Clancy Malloy
	(ihnp4!ihlpa!freak)

| Everyone looked up and realized that we were only tenants of this world; |
|    We have been given a new lease, and a warning, from the landlord.     |

jpn@teddy.UUCP (10/31/85)

>> 	 can only suggest HACKHINTS for this one.  Ask around, I am sure
>> someone will give you a copy.
>
>	Why not post them yourself.  I am sure that there are others
>that would like to see them also.  And if you don't have them then maybe
>someone who does will post them.

Please don't post this.  This is a file which comes with every source copy
of HACK, and is probably on your machine already.  Just ask the person who
maintains HACK at your site.

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (11/05/85)

In article <> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>>> 	 can only suggest HACKHINTS for this one.  Ask around, I am sure
>>> someone will give you a copy.
>>	Why not post them yourself.  I am sure that there are others
>>that would like to see them also.  And if you don't have them then maybe
>>someone who does will post them.
>Please don't post this.  This is a file which comes with every source copy
>of HACK, and is probably on your machine already.  Just ask the person who
>maintains HACK at your site.

Please do post this.  This is a file which did not come with any source
copy of Hack that got to Proper UNIX, and I'm sure plenty of other people
would like to see it.