[net.games.hack] PC HACK

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (04/27/85)

/-\
|@|  You are being digested by a mysterious monster -- More --
\-/

	Why wait for a PDP-11 version of HACK?   We have implemented
the 4.2BSD UN*X version 1.0.1 under MSDOS 2.x  This is a full implementation
except there are no engravings (to keep memory requirements below 256K ram).
	Saved games are machine independent and fit easily on one 360K
floppy.  To save games, you will need 2 floppies or a hard disk.  You also
need about 230,000 bytes free memory and MSDOS 2.x
	MSDOS HACK runs on IBM PC and AT, Compaq portable and Deskpro,
Tandy 1200, ITT Xtra, ATT 6300 and probably other MSDOS machines.  The
machines listed above are only the ones we've tested.  We didn't play for
very long on most of them, just made sure the basic functions worked.  The
IBM PC version has been played for about 1 month and seems to have the bugs
worked out -- we also have 2 total winners in that time.
	Screen I/O is done with LATTICE terminal independence package (TIP)
and is very fast and quite portable.  MSDOS HACK works on monochome cards
(IBM and Hercules), graphics cards (in text mode - IBM and the other
manufacturers), and the IBM enhanced graphics card on the AT.  Sorry but
color is not supported.
	HACK.LBR and HACK.DOC can be found on the following BBSs:

	Walnut Creek BBS
	(415) 937-0156
	5pm-8am M-F, 24hr SS Pacific Time

	Marin Sonoma PC Users Group
	(415) 927-1216
	same hours as above

	NICBUL (the Nicolet BBS system)
	(608) 273-5037
	6pm-8am M-F, 24hr SS Central Time

If you do not have access to the above BBSs and/or you want a full version
including engravings (you may need more than 256K ram), send a formatted
DSDD 360K floppy with return address and postage to:

	D. Kneller			E-mail address
	2 Panoramic Way #204		kneller@ucsf-cgl.ARPA
	Berkeley, CA 94704		ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
	USA

Send any comments you have to one of the E-mail addresses.

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (06/24/85)

/-\
|@|	You are being digested by a mysterious monster -- More --
\-/

This is a few words concerning the status of PC HACK 1.0.2.
I have a preliminary version I just sent out to a few people for
evaluation and bug finding.  PC HACK 1.0.2 will require 320K
of ram, MSDOS 2.x and above, 2 floppies or a hard disk, the ANSI.SYS
driver.  I've switched to ANSI for two reasons -- I will only have
to maintain 1 version and, I used the Microsoft C compiler so
might not be able to use the Lattice TIP package (I haven't checked
yet but it doesn't look like it).

Since I will be away during July, there should be enough time
for fixing any bugs that get reported and also updating to
version 1.0.3 if there are not too many changes to be made.
By changing to Microsoft, new versions should appear much more
quickly after the release of the official version.

So, if you want the latest PC HACK and don't mind waiting until
the first week of August, it will be ready then.

For people who have played the previous versions, now is your
chance to send me mail telling my what you like/dislike/want_to_change
about PC HACK.  I realize color would be a great addition, so if
you have any ideas, let me know how you think it should be done.

Have a good summer,

	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
ARPA:	kneller@ucsf-cgl.ARPA
		-or-
ARPA:	@berkeley.arpa:kneller@ucsf-cgl.arpa

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/02/85)

    For any of you who would like to play HACK version 1.03 on your PC or
compatible, I have it available on my Fido BBS, Sci-Fido, at (415)655-0667.
The full source listings are available as well, by request only.  Sci-Fido
supports 300, 1200, and 2400 baud, XMODEM, MODEM7, and KERMIT protocols.
The version of HACK that I have is the one done by Don Kneller, and is a
complete version 1.03.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (11/03/85)

In article <252@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:

>    For any of you who would like to play HACK version 1.03 on your PC or
>compatible, I have it available on my Fido BBS, Sci-Fido, at (415)655-0667.
>The full source listings are available as well, by request only.  Sci-Fido
>supports 300, 1200, and 2400 baud, XMODEM, MODEM7, and KERMIT protocols.
>The version of HACK that I have is the one done by Don Kneller, and is a
>complete version 1.03.

     I tried the number, and even tried electronic mail.  To no avail.
Any suggestions?  I really am interested in procurring a copy.

                                               Thanks,

                                                   Nadya

freak@ihlpa.UUCP (c e malloy) (11/06/85)

> In article <252@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
> >
> >    For any of you who would like to play HACK version 1.03 on your PC or
> >compatible, I have it available on my Fido BBS, Sci-Fido, at (415)655-0667.
> >The full source listings are available as well, by request only.  Sci-Fido
> >supports 300, 1200, and 2400 baud, XMODEM, MODEM7, and KERMIT protocols.
> >The version of HACK that I have is the one done by Don Kneller, and is a
> >complete version 1.03.
> >
>      I tried the number, and even tried electronic mail.  To no avail.
> Any suggestions?  I really am interested in procurring a copy.
>

>                                                Thanks,
>
>                                                    Nadya

			ME TOO!

From inside the Tesseract of
	Clancy Malloy
	(ihnp4!ihlpa!freak)

| Everyone looked up and realized that we were only tenants of this world; |
|    We have been given a new lease, and a warning, from the landlord.     |

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/08/85)

In article <860@ihlpa.UUCP>, freak@ihlpa.UUCP (c e malloy) writes:
> > In article <252@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
> > >
> > >    For any of you who would like to play HACK version 1.03 on your PC or
> > >compatible, I have it available on my Fido BBS, Sci-Fido, at (415)655-0667.
> > >
> >      I tried the number, and even tried electronic mail.  To no avail.
> > Any suggestions?  I really am interested in procurring a copy.
> >
> >                                                    Nadya
>
> 			ME TOO!
> From inside the Tesseract of
> 	Clancy Malloy
> 	(ihnp4!ihlpa!freak)

    I can only say that if you haven't been able to get on the board to
download HACK, try again!  There have been 8-15 people a day successfully
downloading it, and this takes up a LOT of time!  (P.S. - in case the
to the hours between 2:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M. Pacific Time, due to severe
flames from my regular users. )

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren
           Fido: Sci-Fido, Fidonode 125/84, (415)655-0667
           USnail: 390 Alcatraz Ave., Oakland, CA 94618

dkp@hadron.UUCP (David K. Purks) (11/12/85)

In addition to Sci-Fido, PC HACK version 1.0.3 sources are available on
FIDO-FHLMC at (202) 789-5090.