[net.games.hack] Happy Hacking

nrh@lzaz.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) (11/22/85)

Since I acquired my very own set of these imaginary 1.0.3 sources
I have been happily hacking them to pieces.

I got peeved that I couldn't tell where I was when I couldn't see
myself so now my cursor shows where I am, even invisible.

I died a few times, picking up corpses of cockatrices so I added
an option 'pickup'. If set, everything is as it was. If negated,
I have to explicitly pick things up, but moving onto a spot
fakes a look ( ':' command ) so that I know "everything" that is
there.

I am now planning to age inherent abilities, and add teleport
control and speed as the special effects of some appropriate
beasties.

Anyone interested?
{ihnp4|vax135|allegra}!lznv!nrh
	Nigel		The Mad Englishman or
			The Madly Maundering Mumbler in the Wildernesses

Everything you have read here is a figment of your imagination.
Noone else in the universe currently subscribes to these opinions.

"Its the rope, you know. You can't get it, you know."

freak@ihlpa.UUCP (Malloy) (11/22/85)

> Since I acquired my very own set of these imaginary 1.0.3 sources
> I have been happily hacking them to pieces.
>
> I got peeved that I couldn't tell where I was when I couldn't see
> myself so now my cursor shows where I am, even invisible.
>
> I died a few times, picking up corpses of cockatrices so I added
> an option 'pickup'. If set, everything is as it was. If negated,
> I have to explicitly pick things up, but moving onto a spot
> fakes a look ( ':' command ) so that I know "everything" that is
> there.
>
> I am now planning to age inherent abilities, and add teleport
> control and speed as the special effects of some appropriate
> beasties.
>
> Anyone interested?
> --
> --
> {ihnp4|vax135|allegra}!lznv!nrh
> 	Nigel		The Mad Englishman or
> 			The Madly Maundering Mumbler in the Wildernesses
>
> Everything you have read here is a figment of your imagination.
> Noone else in the universe currently subscribes to these opinions.
>
> "Its the rope, you know. You can't get it, you know."

	I tried to send mail to Nigel, but my system couldn't find you. So,
YES, YES and YES.  I would love a copy.  Also I would LOVE the source. Either
before or after the modifications.  If you want blank disks, let me know.

From inside the Tesseract of
	Clancy Malloy
	(ihnp4!ihlpa!freak)

| Everyone looked up and realized that we were only tenants of this world; |
|    We have been given a new lease, and a warning, from the landlord.     |

Mail Address:
		Clancy Malloy
		6813 harvest Avenue
		Woodridge, IL 60517
			Work Phone:  (312) 979-3559

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/24/85)

In article <419@lzaz.UUCP>, nrh@lzaz.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) writes:

> I got peeved that I couldn't tell where I was when I couldn't see
> myself so now my cursor shows where I am, even invisible.

    Why stop there?  Why not make all the monsters on a level visible
ALL the time, or -2 leather armor totally invulnerable, or, better yet,
why not just have the game say "I KNOW WHEN I'M BEATEN - YOU WIN" as
soon as you start? :-)

    Seriously, though, "pickup" is a good idea (Don Kneller implemented
it in PC-HACK), and one he did, which I think was even better, was "caution"
which keeps you from killing your doggie by mistake. (Hit your dog, it asks
if you really want to attack before attacking.)

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

wanner@ethz.UUCP (Juerg Wanner) (11/26/85)

In article <419@lzaz.UUCP> nrh@lzaz.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) writes:

>Since I acquired my very own set of these imaginary 1.0.3 sources
>I have been happily hacking them to pieces.
>
>I have to explicitly pick things up, but moving onto a spot
>fakes a look ( ':' command ) so that I know "everything" that is
>there.

	You try to feel what is lying here on the floor.

	Touching the dead cockatrice is a fatal mistake ...

--
 Juerg Wanner		Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Computer Science

 ..cernvax!ethz!wanner (UUCP)                       vlsi@czheth5a (BITNET/EARN)