[net.games.hack] Getting past level 27

golde@uw-beaver (Helmut Golde) (11/14/85)

In a previous message, I asked how to get past level 27.  I recieved
three letters in return, informing me that I needed a ring of teleport
control, and scroll of teleport, and a potion of confusion.
(thanx guys ;-])

Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
complete red herring?

Thanx in advance,
-- Peter Golde

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (11/15/85)

In article <1718@uw-beaver>, golde@uw-beaver (Helmut Golde) writes:
> In a previous message, I asked how to get past level 27.  I recieved
> three letters in return, informing me that I needed a ring of teleport
> control, and scroll of teleport, and a potion of confusion.
> (thanx guys ;-])
>
> Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
> a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
> complete red herring?

Use wand of digging, from Minotaur, to break apart immovable rocks on
the maze level.  (Push rocks that can be moved). Under one of these
rocks will be a wand of wishing.  You can use this if your luck is
high enough (go throw some gems at a Unicorn if not, good way to catch
up with a unicorn is to drink a potion of speed), to wish for whatever
you don't have.  (i.e. ring of teleport control).  It's also useful to
get a potion/wand of levitation, to get over the moat to the
hellhound and the Wizard.

Any other questions?  I "broke" hack at work last summer, when someone
made it so a) all items are known and b) after eating a dead giant
rat, you go to 31st level.  Yes, it was cheating, but yes, it was FUN.

				-andy

|  Andrew S. Gerber    MIT '87    Systems Manager,  Visible Language Workshop |
|  gerber@mit-athena.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-mc.MIT.EDU   |
|  {decvax, mit-eddie}!mit-amt!gerber   {decvax, mit-eddie}!mit-athena!gerber |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Well we know where we're goin'        |   And we're not little children     |
| But we don't know where we've been.   |   And we know what we want.	      |
| And we know what we're knowing        |   And the future is certain	      |
| But we can't say what we've seen.     |   Give us time to work it out.      |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|   "Road to Nowhere", Talking Heads, from the album "Little Creatures"       |
|		Copyright 1985, Talking Heads, EMI Records		      |

linder@aecom.UUCP (Andrew Linder) (11/17/85)

> In a previous message, I asked how to get past level 27.  I recieved
> three letters in return, informing me that I needed a ring of teleport
> control, and scroll of teleport, and a potion of confusion.
> (thanx guys ;-])
>
> Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
> a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
> complete red herring?
>
> Thanx in advance,
> -- Peter Golde

Once when i was on the maze level i fell through a trap door to level 28.
After i few seconds i realized it looked exactly like level 27! I didn't
look for another amulet but when i went up, the up staircase was in the same
place proving that the two levels we're identical. Pretty weird huh???

					Andrew Linder
						AECOM

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (11/18/85)

> In a previous message, I asked how to get past level 27.  I recieved
> three letters in return, informing me that I needed a ring of teleport
> control, and scroll of teleport, and a potion of confusion.
> (thanx guys ;-])
>
> Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
> a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
> complete red herring?
>
> Thanx in advance,
> -- Peter Golde

Maybe you could wish for those things which you don't have.
"But I don't have a wand of wishing!"
You don't explore levels completely, do you?
--

	--Kevin Chu
	..!{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (11/19/85)

>Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
>a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
>complete red herring?
>-- Peter Golde
***
I wouldn't think so.  What happens when you fire it downward?
	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,certes,isi}!wjvax!ron

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (11/29/85)

In article <600@wjvax.UUCP> ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) writes:
>>Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
>>a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
>>complete red herring?
>>-- Peter Golde
>***
>I wouldn't think so.  What happens when you fire it downward?

Nothing. "The floor here seems too hard to dig in."
--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)
------

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (11/30/85)

> >Is there NO other way to get past level 27?  What if you haven't found
> >a rung of teleport control yet?  Is the Minotaur's wand of digging a
> >complete red herring?
> >-- Peter Golde
> ***
> I wouldn't think so.  What happens when you fire it downward?

You probably get a face full of dust.  Anyway, level 28 is the same as 27, so
it wouldn't do any good.

Hint:  You DO (can) use the wand of digging.
       You don't have to leave level 27
       Search EVERYWHERE (very important)
       potion of object detection couldn't hurt

--
-- ucdavis!vega!ccs020@ucb-vax.arpa