[net.games.hack] several queries

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (12/17/85)

I cannot read this group but I can still post messages here.  Does anybody
know:
1) If there's any way to prevent being turned to stone by a cockatrice
once the process has started?
2) Where (what level?) is the Amulet on?
3) Where do you find the postman?  A "strings" applied to Hack showed me
that such a thing exists, and so do the messages in the fortune cookies,
but I have never found one.  I even tried sending myself a mail message;
it didn't work.

Please reply by mail.
--
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa
      ...allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_akaa

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (12/19/85)

In article <1461@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) writes:
>I cannot read this group but I can still post messages here.  Does anybody
>know:
>1) If there's any way to prevent being turned to stone by a cockatrice
>once the process has started?

Eat an acid blob (dead, of course)

>2) Where (what level?) is the Amulet on?

29 or 30, I think.

>3) Where do you find the postman?  A "strings" applied to Hack showed me
>that such a thing exists, and so do the messages in the fortune cookies,
>but I have never found one.  I even tried sending myself a mail message;
>it didn't work.

Sending a mail message to yourself will work, but you must have your
MAIL environment variable set to your mail spool file (e.g.
/usr/spool/mail/ins_akaa)

When you receive mail while playing hack, the postman will give you
"a scroll of mail" which, when read, will through you into the Unix(*)
mail program.

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS (jbs@mit-eddie)