[net.games.hack] "Rock-a-bye shopkeeper..." & some hints

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (01/09/86)

In article <623@ark.UUCP> boomsma@ark.UUCP (Boomsma Raoul) writes:
>>If there's a wand of paralysation, it would be nice to hit a
>>shopkeeper with..  Then get the hell out in a hurry..
>
>There is something like a wand of sleep, which has a paralyzing
>effect. This is a very difficult way to rob a shop, since the
>shopkeeper will block the doorway or stay out off the wand's
>rays.

Anyone who plays billiards should have no trouble getting past a shop-
keeper.  You all know that the clever shopkeeper always ducks out of
your direct firing line if you are >= 3 spaces away from him.  But if
you bank the sleep ray off a wall:

Manlobbi gets angry! --more--

	-----+---
	|...@...|
	|....\..|
	|.....\.|
	|......\|
	|.......|
	|....../|
	|...../.|
	|....@..|
	---------

Manlobbi is angry, but has entered la-la land, and from my experience,
stays there for quite a while.  On one occasion, I zapped him off the
wall, but the ray bounced again and hit my dog.  I hung around for about
1000 moves (till I was out of food) waiting for the dog to wake up
before I gave up on him.  The shopkeeper also remained asleep.

Extra household hint:  Don't waste those wands of polymorph on monsters.
polymorph lousy wands (make invisible, create monster) into useful tools
(death, fire, digging, polymorph).  I find that a wand of polymorph can
transform five wands if they are lined up in a row and you zap down the
line.

--pat traynor--

arpa:  ptraynor@bbnccv
uucp:  ...harvard!bbnccv!ptraynor

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (01/10/86)

In article <1443@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:
> Extra household hint:  Don't waste those wands of polymorph on monsters.
> polymorph lousy wands (make invisible, create monster) into useful tools
> (death, fire, digging, polymorph).  I find that a wand of polymorph can
> transform five wands if they are lined up in a row and you zap down the
> line.

Actually, if you have a sufficiently large number of wands, including
polymorph, you can produce an unlimited number of wands of wishing that
way.  Keep zapping wands, removing wands of polymorph and wishing as they
are created.  When a wand of wishing or polymorph is used up, put it in the
pile to be zapped.  If you need more wands, use a wand of wishing to create
wands of polymorph.  Your limitation is food: but you can eat things that
attack while you are zapping, or create food with the wands of wishing.
It's time consuming and tedious, but once I worked up to about a dozen
wands of wishing starting from one and about ten assorted wands.  I checked
the sources, and the probabilities in my version give a definite edge.

This might be something to fix for the next version.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (01/11/86)

[]

	"I hung around for about 1000 moves (till I was out of food)
	waiting for the dog to wake up before I gave up on him.  The
	shopkeeper also remained asleep."

You can wake up your dog by wielding nothing and hitting her.

	"I find that a wand of polymorph can transform five wands if
	they are lined up in a row and you zap down the line."

You can also pile all the wands in the same square.  You can polymorph
things other than wands, like weapons (all those unused darts and
arrows), rings (lose that ring of hunger), scrolls (curse weapon), and
potions.  An object will always changed to another object (possibly the
same) of that class, with the interesting exception that rocks will
change to gems.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]