[net.games.hack] Over enchanted armor

miller@nlm-mcs.ARPA (Nancy Miller) (01/17/86)

> (hack 1.0.2)
>
> I had something interesting happen the other day. I was cruising along
> around level 25 or so, wearing the following: +0 Plate mail, +0 gloves,
> a +1 shield, and a +3 elven cloak. My total armor class was something
> around -5 or -6 (gloves may have been +1). At any rate, I found another
> scroll of enchant armor and read it and this is what happened:
>
> "Your elven cloak glows violently green for a moment--more--
>  Your elven cloak has vaninshed..."
>
> Interesting, eh? Back to -1 armor class. Has this ever happened to
> anyone before? I suppose you can't enchant armor past +3....
>
>  --
> * Isaac Salzman (Gumby)

I have wished for +7 plate mail and gotten it.  But I get a similar message
when I read a scroll of enchant armor that affected it.  It appears that for
each type of armor there is a maximum enchantment value.  Lately I've been
wishing for +6 plate mail when I haven't yet seen a scroll of enchant armor.

 __ __
 <> <>

  `-'
Nancy Miller
(miller@nlm-mcs.arpa)

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (01/18/86)

[]

	"It appears that for each type of armor there is a maximum
	enchantment value."

It's been a few months since I looked at the source code, but I believe
that the actual mechanism is that whenever you try to enchant an item
to greater than +3, there is a random chance that the item will
evaporate.  This is true of weapons as well as armor.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

rjk@mrstve.UUCP (Richard Kuhns) (01/20/86)

In article <602@nlm-mcs.ARPA> miller@nlm-mcs.ARPA (Nancy Miller) writes:
>> (hack 1.0.2)
>>
>> I had something interesting happen the other day. I was cruising along
>> around level 25 or so, wearing the following: +0 Plate mail, +0 gloves,
>> a +1 shield, and a +3 elven cloak. My total armor class was something
>> around -5 or -6 (gloves may have been +1). At any rate, I found another
>> scroll of enchant armor and read it and this is what happened:
>>
>> "Your elven cloak glows violently green for a moment--more--
>>  Your elven cloak has vaninshed..."
>>
>> Interesting, eh? Back to -1 armor class. Has this ever happened to
>> anyone before? I suppose you can't enchant armor past +3....
>>
>>  --
>> * Isaac Salzman (Gumby)
>
>I have wished for +7 plate mail and gotten it.  But I get a similar message
>when I read a scroll of enchant armor that affected it.  It appears that for
>each type of armor there is a maximum enchantment value.  Lately I've been
>wishing for +6 plate mail when I haven't yet seen a scroll of enchant armor.
>--

From examining the code, it appears that when _reading a scroll of enchant
armor_, there is a random chance (based on current +) that your armor will
evaporate if it's currently +3 or better.
--
Rich Kuhns		{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk