[net.games.hack] fake amulet.

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (01/23/86)

In article <618@tymix.UUCP> stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) writes:
>Several weeks ago I posted the outcome of a game in which I had
>retrieved the amulet, only to find out upon leaving the dungeon
>that it was a cheap, imitation amulet, worth only a couple of Zorkmids.
>I had read a scroll of mapping to find the Wizard and his Hound.
>In the middle of the moat I noticed an "@" which I did not go near.

Someone had been on the maze level before you and had died (drowned I
suppose).  Magic mapping shows ghosts as '@', even on normal levels.
The previous player left a bones file.  However, when HACK creates the
bones file, if there is an real amulet on the level the amulet is made
into a cheap imitation.

Whenever you go to a different level, HACK checks if you've been there yet.
If not, 1 time out of 3 HACK checks for a bones file.  If there is a bones
file, you get put on that "ghost" level.  If neither of the cases are true,
HACK creates a new level.

If the real amulet has not yet been created, when you arrive at a level
lower than 29 and HACK must *create* a level, it creates a "moat" level
and notes that the amulet has been created.  However, since you landed
on a ghost level, the real "moat" level has not yet been built and the
real amulet has not yet been created.  If you'd have walked up the
stairs to level 38, and if HACK didn't find another bones file, you
would have again seen a "moat" level, but the amulet on this level
would have been the true amulet.
--
	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller