[net.games.hack] fake amulet and wand of cancellation

stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) (01/23/86)

>>Several weeks ago I posted the outcome of a game in which I had
>>retrieved the amulet, only to find out upon leaving the dungeon
>>that it was a cheap, imitation amulet, worth only a couple of Zorkmids.

>A wand of cancellation zapped over the Amulet will do this.  I bet this is how
>you killed the wizard!  You probably entered the moat from the left rather
>than from the right as I guess the wand of cancellation would have hit the hell
>hound rather than the amulet had you not killed it first.

No, I never used a wand of cancellation. I doubt that a wand of
cancellation would kill the wizard, anyway. Actually, I killed him
with a wand of fire. I seldom bother toting wands of cancellation
around with me.

>>1) I had taken advantage of the postman. Maybe the game punishes the
>>player for this by making the real amulet into a fake ???

>No.  I presume you mean you sold a scroll of mail to the shopkeeper?  If not,
>nothing you do to the postmaster damages your chances.

Actually I was trying to be discrete, and not reveal a spoiler (?).
I was referring to killing the postman when he tries to deliver the
scroll of mail.

>>2) I had read a scroll of mapping to find the Wizard and his Hound.

>You didn't *have* to.

Agreed, not necessary, but a scroll of magic mapping is a wonderful convenience!

>>In the middle of the moat I noticed an "@" which I did not go near.

>This is a bug.  It doesn't happen on my version (1.0.3 on 4.2BSD on a VAX).
>Maybe the game was corrupted?

According to private mail which I received from Don Kneller, the
@ appearing for a ghost is NOT a bug. I don't know why the ghost
appeared as an @ this one time, though. Don also revealed to me
why the amulet was fake, which I will not do at this time. I feel
it is up to him to decide if this should be public knowledge.
There is a hint in what I have said above, though.

I'd like to thank all the people who replied to my plea, either with
posted articles, or by mail. I expect to get the genuine amulet up
to the light of day in the very near future!

Michael Stimac
...hplabs!oliveb!tymix!stimac

cs2532bn@unmc.UUCP (01/25/86)

In article <> stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) writes:
>>>Several weeks ago I posted the outcome of a game in which I had
>>>retrieved the amulet, only to find out upon leaving the dungeon
>>>that it was a cheap, imitation amulet, worth only a couple of Zorkmids.
>
>>A wand of cancellation zapped over the Amulet will do this.  I bet this is how
>>you killed the wizard!  You probably entered the moat from the left rather
		.
		.
		.

This is a little off the subject, but still has a lot to do with the zapping
amulets.
Anyway, I found a way the theoretically win on level 1.  I haven't been able
to win on lev 1, but have been able to on level 6 after getting a wand shop.
It would be possible to win on lev 2 if you use wizards and get bones files
and a wand of polymorph.

You can polymorph wands until you get a wand of wishing.  Wish for the amulet.
Big deal, eh?  a cheap imitation...well, just use your friendly wand of
polymorph on it and <poof>...the real mccoy.

Maybe not as fun, and it's only worth 5000 zm....not as much as 3 diamonds.

						leach
		     {...decvax!unmvax!unmc!cs2532bn}