[net.games.hack] hack bugs

barnes@vger.UUCP (Steve Barnes) (01/18/86)

[]
My appologies if these bugs are old news...  I've noticed
several in our version of hack.

1) "Full Moon tonight, you feel lucky!" - when this message
   is printed, your luck is incremented by one.  This means
   you can save your game, and restart it, thereby raising
   your luck as high as you want.

2) Polymorph wands - a "feature" of this game is that you
   can polymorph a wand, and it will turn into a different
   wand, fully charged.  What this means is that you can
   collect 5 or 6 wands, lay them out in a line, and start
   polymorphing.  Unless you are unlucky, you will get at
   least one polymorph wand before you run out of charges.
   Continuing this process indefinatly, you can get all sorts
   or great stuff - wishing wands, summon monster wands
   (kill the summoned monsters and take their stuff)...
   Technically this isn't a bug, but it makes the game much
   too easy.  My suggestion is to keep charges constant when
   polymorphing wands, making the problem less severe (with
   special allowances for wishing wands...  no more than 3 charges).

3) Engraving.  When you engrave using your hands, your weapon
   is automatically un-wielded.  Great way to un-wield
   cursed weapons...

4) The hell hound - you can throw food at him, and he becomes
   your friend.  Seems a bit silly to me.

These are all the bugs that come to mind.  I'm also bothered
by the morality enforced by luck.  By killing or eating your
dog, you loose luck.  *Everybody* loves to kill their dog...

				Steven Barnes
				ucbvax!ucscc!vger!barnes

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (01/19/86)

In article <302@vger.UUCP> barnes@vger.UUCP (Steve Barnes) writes:
>[]
>My appologies if these bugs are old news...  I've noticed
>several in our version of hack.
>
>1) "Full Moon tonight, you feel lucky!" - when this message
>   is printed, your luck is incremented by one.  This means
>   you can save your game, and restart it, thereby raising
>   your luck as high as you want.
Was fixed in 1.03.  The quick fix is to decrement your luck
before saving the game if there is a full moon.

>2) Polymorph wands - a "feature" of this game is that you
>   can polymorph a wand, and it will turn into a different
>   wand, fully charged.
I just posted a bug fix, which also fixes the bug of polymorphed
piles of gems having the weight of 1 gem.

>3) Engraving.  When you engrave using your hands, your weapon
>   is automatically un-wielded.  Great way to un-wield
>   cursed weapons...
Was fixed in 1.03.  The fix checks if you're wielding a cursed
weapon and forces you to use it.

>4) The hell hound - you can throw food at him, and he becomes
>   your friend.  Seems a bit silly to me.
Perhaps he was very hungry.

--
	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller

deg@druhi.UUCP (GillespieD) (01/20/86)

>1) "Full Moon tonight, you feel lucky!" - when this message
>   is printed, your luck is incremented by one.  This means
>   you can save your game, and restart it, thereby raising
>   your luck as high as you want.

Actually, everytime a game is saved, the luck is decremented by
one.  Thus, you can only get one luck point, and only when the
moon is full.

dianeh@ISM780.UUCP (01/21/86)

>>3) Engraving.  When you engrave using your hands, your weapon
>>   is automatically un-wielded.  Great way to un-wield
>>   cursed weapons...
>Was fixed in 1.03.  The fix checks if you're wielding a cursed
>weapon and forces you to use it.

Not true in the 1.0.3 version that we have here. I use this "bug" to check
on the cursedness of all the items in my pack -- e.g., if I wield a ring
and it welds itself to my hand, I know not to put that ring on until I have
a remove curse scroll, then I can just unwield it by 'E'ngraving. Yeah, it
probably *is* a bug, but sometimes you just *need* those little critters,
you know.

Diane Holt
Interactive Systems Corp.
ima!ism780!dianeh

"You was a good ol' wagon, but you done broke down."

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (01/27/86)

I have two related suggestions for hack.  Potions of healing and nurse blows
should fix xan leg damage.

--
Laura Creighton
sun!hoptoad!laura		(note new address!  l5 will still