[net.games.hack] Rookie requests help

hartsoug@oberon.UUCP (Mike Hartsough) (02/08/86)

An open letter to any Hack Masters out there:

My highest Hack (1.03) score ever is 7500+ (Fell down the stairs while
wielding a dead cocatrice). As you can see, I can really use some help.

I have a gamed saved at this moment, and I am at a loss for how to
proceed in my present situation. So here's how I stand:

I'm in a cane shop. I've already killed off a couple shopkeepers on
previous levels, and looted their shops after their demise (I managed
to "identify" wands of sleep and magic missile early on). I am currently
carrying my maximum load of items, some of which are: approx 8 rings
(only one is known, "see invisible"), several wands (only 2 are known),
2-handed sword, whistle, potion of confusion...

I have just started to run around the shop, picking up wands and zapping
them to see what happens. The wand in hand at the moment, when fired,
makes all of the other wands in the direction of fire disappear, leaving
a clear path. Question: is this a wand of "teleport", or "make invisible"?

Second question: I read something on this board a while back about turning
monsters into your own personal hitmen. I recall that it had something to
do with confusion and whistles, but I've gotten myself killed off a number
of times trying to implement the algorithm. What is the correct method?

Third: #dip...must I be wielding the potion? the arrows? should the potion
be on the floor? I've attempted to dip arrows into known poisons, but no
luck.

Fourth: When playing at home, over a modem, there are several commands which,
upon completion, cause my character to move down (J) 1-3 spaces. Two of
these are: 'D'rop, and Engrave. It's quite infuriating to 'E' Elbereth,
and the moment you're done, your character leaves that space and gets
clobbered. Additionally, even if you go to the bottom of a room (with
reference to the screen) and Engrave (I got smart), none of the
monsters will respect Elbereth. Is this a bug, a feature, or is my
vt100 emulation poor (My Comm. S-ware is Hayes Smartcom II).

Well, this message is long enough, and should stimulate a lot of
discussion.

See ya,

--

	Michael J. Hartsough

It is to the interest of the commonwealth of mankind that there should
be someone who is unconquered, someone against whom fortune has no power.
			---- Seneca
That's why I'm here.

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) (02/11/86)

In article <197@oberon.UUCP> hartsoug@oberon.UUCP writes:
>I'm in a cane shop. I've already killed off a couple shopkeepers on

Don't kill off shopkeepers or you kill your luck (amongst other things).  At
least polymorph them first.  My favourite trick is to eat a L or N to make me a
teleporter.  Once I find a ring of teleport control (they are quite common) the
world's me oyster.  The shopkeeper keeps chasing me, but I lead him far away
from the stairs, wait 'til I teleport, go to the stairs and leave him behind.

>a clear path. Question: is this a wand of "teleport", or "make invisible"?

Walk over them and see if they're still there.

>Second question: I read something on this board a while back about turning
>monsters into your own personal hitmen. I recall that it had something to
>do with confusion and whistles, but I've gotten myself killed off a number
>of times trying to implement the algorithm. What is the correct method?

Best to keep your wands of polymorph for turning rocks into gems.  Remember,
if your "dog" kills things, you don't get the credit.

>Third: #dip...must I be wielding the potion? the arrows?

Dip either arrows, darts or crossbow bolts into a potion.  If it's a potion of
sickness, the weapon will be enchanted and the potion will disappear.  If not,
there will be no effect whatever.  I use this to find out which potion is the
potion of sickness.
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%comp.lancs.ac.uk@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,