[net.games.hack] drowning and teleportation

barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) (02/06/86)

***

In the two best games I have played to date, I have died in the same
way:  I have used the CTRL-T command to escape from a particular monster
I did not wish to kill (like a nurse or dog) and landed in a pool.
One time it was a pool in a swamp, the other time was in the moat on
a maze level.  "You land in a pool, more ...  You drown".  I had no
opportunity to do anything more after teleporting, and I wasn't able
to teleport away from the pool.

However, in another game, I had eaten a Leprechaun with the usual
results.  At one point my character had randomly teleported (no action
on my part) and landed in a pool in a swamp.  I got "You land in a
pool. ... You attempt to cast a spell of teleportation. More - "
and I teleported out of the pool.  Again, I did not do anything directly,
the program did all the actions.

My question is, why don't I have the opportunity to teleport out of
a pool if I land in one?  Or maybe there is an opportunity and I'm
not seeing it?  Why this seeming inconsistency between my direct action
and some randomly generated action?

--
-------------------------

decvax!{cca!emacs,wanginst}!infinet!barnes 		Jim Barnes

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (02/10/86)

You will only teleport out of drowning in a pool if you have "intrinsic
teleportation".  This means that you have eaten a beastie like a
leprechaun or are wearing a ring of teleportation.  Simply having the
ability to control-T isn't enough.

You may also have to be wearing a ring of teleport control; I'm not
sure ... I never eat the 'L' until I acquire the ring.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

maartenj@ark.UUCP (Maarten Jan Huisjes) (02/21/86)

In article <1803@hammer.UUCP> andrew@hammer.UUCP writes:
>You will only teleport out of drowning in a pool if you have "intrinsic
>teleportation".  This means that you have eaten a beastie like a
>leprechaun or are wearing a ring of teleportation.  Simply having the
>ability to control-T isn't enough.
>
>You may also have to be wearing a ring of teleport control; I'm not
>sure ... I never eat the 'L' until I acquire the ring.

Nope just plain "luck".
--

			Maarten Jan  Huisjes.  (maartenj@vu44.UUCP)
			{seismo|decvax|philabs}!mcvax!vu44!maartenj