[net.games.hack] Stuck at level 29 or so

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (02/27/86)

*** REPLICATE THIS LIME WITH YOUR MASSAGE ***

	I have been at this dang level for a while now & am ready for a
spoiler. I am at level 28 or 29 or so & it is a whole screen full of maze.
I don't like mazes in the first place, but there is no visible exit down.
I am pretty sure I searched the whole level.
     Any hints on how to descend farther ????
Please hurry, my food is running out, I am getting bored, and I hate mazes!

	Joseph "with the dog named 'a pig'" Judge

A pig just ate the dead lecrotta! A pig ate the tripe ration! etc, etc, etc...

--
Joseph Judge
414 Morton Hall

mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) (02/28/86)

In article <113@oucs.UUCP>, joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) writes:

> 	I have been at this dang level for a while now & am ready for a
> spoiler. I am at level 28 or 29 or so & it is a whole screen full of maze.
> I don't like mazes in the first place, but there is no visible exit down.
> I am pretty sure I searched the whole level.
>      Any hints on how to descend farther ????
> Please hurry, my food is running out, I am getting bored, and I hate mazes!

To descend into the further depths of Hack you must confuse yourself.  There
are several ways to do this and you probably already know them so I won't
list them here.  After you are confused, teleport, either ^T or wand or spell
will do.  You will then be asked to enter the level you wish to be teleported
to.  WARNING...  If you are playing 1.0.3 and you go to the lower levels
(AKA HELL) make sure you have a ring of fire resistance on or you have eaten
a dragon.  If you are not fire resistant you will be burned to a cinder.
If you are playing an earlier version the lower levels will also be mazes, but
each maze has another amulet.  Collect these for a REALLY hi score.

> 	Joseph "with the dog named 'a pig'" Judge
>
> A pig just ate the dead lecrotta! A pig ate the tripe ration! etc, etc, etc...

Cute!  Try naming your dog "the little prick".

--

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  May the Quest for the ElfSword be

odin@bucsb.UUCP (Odin) (03/01/86)

*** JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO POST TO THE NET . . . ***

There is an interesting side effect of being confused.  When you are confused
and read a scroll the effect of the scroll is altered because you "misponounce
the words".  If you quaff a potion of confusion or booze and read a scroll of
teleportation it will teleport you to a random level, and if you are wearing a
ring of teleport control at the time you will get to pick what level you want
to go to.  From the maze levels you will find that there is always a stairs up
but never one down, so in order to get the most out of my wands of wishing I
teleport down to level 39 (the lowest) and then walk up, otherwise I have found
that I tend to waste about 1/3 of my wishes on confusion potions and teleport
scrolls.  Be sure, though, that before you teleport down to level 39 you have
either eaten a dead dragon, or are wearing a ring of fire resistance, or you
will be burnt to a cinder.  In case you didn't know, there is a wand of wishing
hiding under a rock on every level of the maze, so one of the first things that
I wish for ( if I don't have it already) is a pick-axe to avoid carrying all
those wands of digging around.  Other useful things to wish for are a
+3 crysknife (make sure you spell it right) and a skeleton-key.

P.S.  I have a couple of questions for anyone on the net who would care to
 reply.  Have you guys tried reading other scrolls while confused?  Have
 you found any that were interesting?  I have tried confuse monster and
 fire, but neither had interesting effects.  Also, is it my imagination
 or can the Wizard teleport up and down levels, too.

                     -   Ben Page  -

CSNET:     odin@bu-cs
ARPANET:   odin%bu-cs@csnet-relay
UUCP:      ...harvard!bu-cs!odin
BITNET:    odin%bu-cs%csnet-relay.arpa@wiscvm

nrh@lzaz.UUCP (N. HASLOCK) (03/02/86)

In article <220@mrstve.UUCP>, mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:
> In article <113@oucs.UUCP>, joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) writes:
> >
> > I am at level 28 or 29 or so & it is a whole screen full of maze.

> To descend into the further depths of Hack you must confuse yourself.
Right.
> After you are confused, teleport, either ^T or wand or spell
> will do.
Wrong. 1.0.3 requires that you read a scroll.

		The Mad Englishman

barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (03/02/86)

In article <220@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:
>To descend into the further depths of Hack you must confuse yourself.  There
>are several ways to do this and you probably already know them so I won't
>list them here.  After you are confused, teleport, either ^T or wand or spell
>will do.  You will then be asked to enter the level you wish to be teleported
>to.

A couple of points here.  Using ^T to teleport while confused does not
(in Hack 1.0.2) have the effect of sending you to some other level.
The only method of teleportation I have found which does this is reading
a scroll of teleportation.  As for the wand of teleportation, as far as
I know, that only works on *other* creatures, not the Hacker himself.
(Unless you can bounce it off the wall at yourself.  Anyone know if
this works?)  As mentioned in another response to the original message,
you also need a ring of teleport control to avoid winding up on some
randomly selected level and to get the question about what level you
want to go to.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

"Frankly, there's something about reality that gives me the shivering willies!"
						-- Hank the Hallucination --

-- barnett@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@im4u.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!im4u!barnett

rjk@mrstve.UUCP (Richard Kuhns) (03/03/86)

In article <162@bucsb.UUCP> odin@bucsb.UUCP writes:
>*** JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO POST TO THE NET . . . ***
>
>There is an interesting side effect of being confused.  When you are confused
>and read a scroll the effect of the scroll is altered because you "misponounce
>the words".  If you quaff a potion of confusion or booze and read a scroll of
>
> etc...
>
>P.S.  I have a couple of questions for anyone on the net who would care to
> reply.  Have you guys tried reading other scrolls while confused?  Have
> you found any that were interesting?  I have tried confuse monster and
> fire, but neither had interesting effects.  Also, is it my imagination
> or can the Wizard teleport up and down levels, too.

Yeah, reading a scroll of enhance armor/weapon when confused won't raise
your armor/weapon, but it will make it rust resistant (a la leather).
--
Rich Kuhns		{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk

bruce@stc.co.uk (03/04/86)

In article <220@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP writes:
>To descend into the further depths of Hack you must confuse yourself.  There
>are several ways to do this and you probably already know them so I won't
>list them here.  After you are confused, teleport, either ^T or wand or spell
>will do.  You will then be asked to enter the level you wish to be teleported
>to.

Wrong!! I got caught out on this when I first attempted descending to the
lower maze levels.  You're right about getting confused but to teleport
through levels you must read a scroll of teleportation.  What happens is
that you mispronounce the magic words and alter the function of the scroll.
You must also be wearing a ring of teleport control if you wish to be
asked for the level to which you want to be teleported.

This is true for version 1.0.3.
--

Regards,
Bruce Munro.  <bruce@stc.UUCP>

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (03/04/86)

In article <162@bucsb.UUCP> odin@bucsb.UUCP (Odin) writes:

>P.S.  I have a couple of questions for anyone on the net who would care to
> reply.  Have you guys tried reading other scrolls while confused?
>
>                     -   Ben Page  -
>
>CSNET:     odin@bu-cs
>ARPANET:   odin%bu-cs@csnet-relay
>UUCP:      ...harvard!bu-cs!odin
>BITNET:    odin%bu-cs%csnet-relay.arpa@wiscvm

Ben, I tried replying to you via your arpa address and I got it back...

What's the deal?  This is (some of) what came back to me:

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON%bostonu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 11:28:59 EST
From: Pat Traynor <ptraynor@bbncc7.ARPA>
Subject: Reading scrolls while confused
To: odin%bu-cs@csnet-relay

--

uucp:  ...!harvard!bbnccv!bbncc7!ptraynor
arpa:  ptraynor@bbncc7

dturner@imagen.UUCP (Alai) (03/04/86)

> +3 crysknife (make sure you spell it right) and a skeleton-key.

what dose that do ??

--
	If you push somthing hard enough it will fall over
	  -fud's first law .

Name:	David Turner
Mail:	6259 Rainbow dr. San Jose , Ca
        95129
AT&T:	(408) 725-1974
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!dturner