[net.games.hack] confusion and scrolls

stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) (03/04/86)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR ETCHINGS ***

"  P.S.  I have a couple of questions for anyone on the net who would care to
   reply.  Have you guys tried reading other scrolls while confused?  Have
   you found any that were interesting?  I have tried confuse monster and
   fire, but neither had interesting effects.  Also, is it my imagination
   or can the Wizard teleport up and down levels, too. "

It has been reported to me by reliable sources that something rather
useful happens if you read a scroll of enchant armor while wearing
armor and confused. Try it, you'll like it.

I mentally kicked myself when I read a scroll of magic mapping immediately
I arrived in Hell. I should have waited until I was no longer confused.

Michael Stimac

barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (03/04/86)

In article <678@tymix.UUCP> stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) writes:

>I mentally kicked myself when I read a scroll of magic mapping immediately
>I arrived in Hell. I should have waited until I was no longer confused.

Yep.  The effect is less than satisfactory.  Happened to me too once.
I've decided that unless you're just looking to get from one place to
another very fast, using mapping scrolls in Hell is not such a hot idea.
This is particularly true if you're looking for that elusive wand of
wishing -- once you read the scroll of mapping, how do you tell where
you've looked and where you haven't?

Of course, this is related to your style of play, I guess.  I like
to get as far down as I can and fight my way back out, exploring
each maze level thoroughly.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

"Frankly, there's something about reality that gives me the shivering willies!"
						-- Hank the Hallucination --

-- barnett@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@im4u.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!im4u!barnett

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (03/05/86)

In article <794@im4u.UUCP> barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) writes:
>In article <678@tymix.UUCP> stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) writes:
>>
>>I mentally kicked myself when I read a scroll of magic mapping immediately
>>I arrived in Hell. I should have waited until I was no longer confused.
>>

>Yep.  The effect is less than satisfactory.  Happened to me too once.
>I've decided that unless you're just looking to get from one place to
>another very fast, using mapping scrolls in Hell is not such a hot idea.
>This is particularly true if you're looking for that elusive wand of
>wishing -- once you read the scroll of mapping, how do you tell where
>you've looked and where you haven't?

What??  I think you must have been REALLY confused to be teleported to hell
when reading a scroll of magic mapping!  My experiences are that you have to
read a scroll of teleportation while confused to be popped onto another
level.  Reading a scroll of magic mapping while confused just prints the
map all jumbled (and therefore useless).  But I've found maps invaluable
when looking for a wand on a maze level (aka hell).  First I print out
the map, then quaff an object detection, marking all the important items
with little stickers.  Then, when I've hit the space bar and the objects
disappear, I can see exactly how to get to the important stuff.  After
THE WAND, the most important things to find (as far as I'm concerned) are
the boulders.

--pat traynor--
--

uucp:  ...!harvard!bbnccv!bbncc7!ptraynor
arpa:  ptraynor@bbncc7

barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (03/06/86)

In article <2214@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:
>In article <794@im4u.UUCP> barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) writes:
>>In article <678@tymix.UUCP> stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) writes:
>>>
>>>I mentally kicked myself when I read a scroll of magic mapping immediately
>>>I arrived in Hell. I should have waited until I was no longer confused.
>>>

>What??  I think you must have been REALLY confused to be teleported to hell
>when reading a scroll of magic mapping!

(Is this confusing enough?)  Er, yes.   The intent in the original posting
(>>>) was that he read a mapping scroll imediately *after* arriving in
hell via the confusion/teleportation method.  I didn't notice that
the crucial "after" was missing from the sentence.

As far as my comments on reading vs. not reading mapping scrolls in hell,
I guess maybe I'm approaching things a little differently.  I try to
draw things out for a long as possible :-)  There's lots of valuable
stuff down in the mazes, and I include all the monsters to be killed
there as well as the $, gems, and wands in the total.  Your experience
points have some bearing on your final score, too.