[net.games.hack] confused in hell with a magic map

stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) (03/07/86)

*** POLYMORPH THIS LINE WITH YOUR WAND ***

>In article <794@im4u.UUCP> barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) writes:
>>In article <678@tymix.UUCP> stimac@tymix.UUCP (Michael Stimac) writes:
>>>
>>>I mentally kicked myself when I read a scroll of magic mapping immediately
>>>I arrived in Hell. I should have waited until I was no longer confused.
>>>

>>Yep.  The effect is less than satisfactory.  Happened to me too once.
>>I've decided that unless you're just looking to get from one place to
>>another very fast, using mapping scrolls in Hell is not such a hot idea.
>>This is particularly true if you're looking for that elusive wand of
>>wishing -- once you read the scroll of mapping, how do you tell where
>>you've looked and where you haven't?
>>

>What??  I think you must have been REALLY confused to be teleported to hell
>when reading a scroll of magic mapping!  My experiences are that you have to
>read a scroll of teleportation while confused to be popped onto another
>level.  Reading a scroll of magic mapping while confused just prints the
>map all jumbled (and therefore useless).  ....

"What??", indeed!!! Where did I say that reading a scroll of magic mapping
transported me to hell?

My experience of reading magic mapping scrolls while confused is that
they print a random subset of the whole map, NOT "the map all jumbled
(and therefor useless)".  The subset is correct, not jumbled, and is
less useful than the entire map, but hardly useless.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get REALLY confused while
playing hack ...  :-)

Michael Stimac