[net.games.hack] "Stuck at level 29 or so"

hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ted Hopp) (03/03/86)

> P.S.  I have a couple of questions for anyone on the net who would care to
>  reply.  Have you guys tried reading other scrolls while confused?  Have
>  you found any that were interesting?  I have tried confuse monster and
>  fire, but neither had interesting effects.  Also, is it my imagination
>  or can the Wizard teleport up and down levels, too.
>
>                      -   Ben Page  -

A scroll of enchant {armor,weapon} will make your {armor,weapon} corrosion
resistant if you read the scroll while confused.  Likewise, a scroll of
destroy armor or damage weapon will turn the item back to being
rustable (yech - what a word!) if read when confused.  Things I'm not
sure of: a scroll of detection (food/gold/objects/monsters) will give
nonsense detection if read while confused, and a scroll of mapping will
give you a partial map if read while confused.  (Does a scroll
of amnesia make you forget only part of the map?)

Neither a Wizard nor any other character can teleport between levels
as a talent.  Wizards can teleport at will when they reach experience
level 6 and other characters at experience level 10, given the proper
conditions (spoiler on request).  The only thing that triggers a
between-level teleport is a scroll of teleportation.  An interesting
adventure is to teleport to a negative level (-1 will do).

--

Ted Hopp	{seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!hopp

odin@bucsb.UUCP (Odin) (03/06/86)

Thanks for the tips on the other scrolls, but you seem to have a
misapprehension as to the Wizard I was refering to .  It was not the
class, but the Wizard of Yendor.  I had just killed Cerberus, and I
was all set to trash the wizard, but I couldn't find him anywhere on
the level, even after quaffing a potion of blindness, nor could I
find the amulet.  Ascending to the 38th level I noticed the wizard
standing right next to me.  I got one blow in before he disappeared
on me again.  I repeated this a couple of times before I got smart
and popped him one from a polymorph wand.  I found the amulet on his
body.  This has occured only that once (to me at least) and I wonder
whether it is a bug or a feature?

                     -   Ben Page  -

CSNET:     odin@bu-cs
ARPANET:   odin%bu-cs@csnet-relay
UUCP:      ...harvard!bu-cs!odin
BITNET:    odin%bu-cs%csnet-relay.arpa@wiscvm

barnett@im4u.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (03/06/86)

In article <163@bucsb.UUCP> odin@bucsb.UUCP (Odin) writes:
>I had just killed Cerberus, and I
>was all set to trash the wizard, but I couldn't find him anywhere on
>the level, even after quaffing a potion of blindness, nor could I
>find the amulet.  Ascending to the 38th level I noticed the wizard
>standing right next to me.  I got one blow in before he disappeared
>on me again.
>
>                     -   Ben Page  -

This happened to me the first time I ever got that far, too.  Since then,
I always break into the vault from the right-hand side, so that I
deal with the wizard first.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

"Frankly, there's something about reality that gives me the shivering willies!"
						-- Hank the Hallucination --

-- barnett@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@im4u.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!im4u!barnett

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (03/06/86)

> level 6 and other characters at experience level 10, given the proper
> conditions (spoiler on request).  The only thing that triggers a
> between-level teleport is a scroll of teleportation.  An interesting

     I drank the booze (tasted like liquid fire) and read the scroll of
teleportation (you mispronounce the words) and was wearing the ring of
teleportation and POOF* I ended up at level 15!!!! no chance to tell it
where to go.  Also my levels now (around level 25~29) are alternating
between mazes and regular levels (w/rooms) The only way to getpast the
maze levels is to go up to the regular one before it and fall through
a trapdoor (drops you 2 levels down)
PROBLEM:
     There are no trap doors in the regular level I am on now!!!!

(hey what's that proper condition for regylar player to teleport)
I'm about ready to give up and start over or a new game totally.

Bye for now,
		Joseph Judge

--
Joseph Judge
414 Morton Hall

hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (03/11/86)

> > level 6 and other characters at experience level 10, given the proper
> > conditions (spoiler on request).  The only thing that triggers a
> > between-level teleport is a scroll of teleportation.  An interesting
> >
>      I drank the booze (tasted like liquid fire) and read the scroll of
> teleportation (you mispronounce the words) and was wearing the ring of
> teleportation and POOF* I ended up at level 15!!!! no chance to tell it
> where to go.

You have to be wearing a ring of teleport control to control where you go.
A ring of teleportation is useful for teleporting at will, but doesn't help
you at all in controlling where you go.

>	        Also my levels now (around level 25~29) are alternating
> between mazes and regular levels (w/rooms) The only way to getpast the
> maze levels is to go up to the regular one before it and fall through
> a trapdoor (drops you 2 levels down)
> PROBLEM:
>      There are no trap doors in the regular level I am on now!!!!

You can always create one with a wand of digging or a pick axe.  (Wish
for a pick axe if you have a wand of wishing and no wand of digging.)

> (hey what's that proper condition for regylar player to teleport)

You seem to have them -- experience, ring of teleportation, strength,
enough food in your belly.
--

Ted Hopp	{seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!hopp