[net.games.hack] Killer nurses

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (03/11/86)

Something odd happened to me in a recent game that I was hoping someone on
the net could explain.

Playing as a caveman, I found a wand. Not knowing what it was, I zapped a
homonculous that was clobbering me. It turned out that the wand was a wand
of polymorph and I had polymorphed the 'h' into a nurse.

With only a couple of hit points left, I was hit by the nurse. Instead of
getting better, however, I was killed.

What happened? Is a polymorphed nurse not the real thing?

(I am playing an early copy of PC-HACK version 1.0.3.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Give an ape control of its environment and it will fill the world with bananas.

her3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (03/11/86)

I suppose the real question here is "were you wearing any armour?"
nurses are really mean if you're wearing armour.

I Have read that eating acid blobs will keep you from turning to stone.
I have eaten several suffered serious strength decrease (no ring of poison resistance) and severe hit's. (v 1.03) any one know what's going on?

Drew Herman
her3%sphinx@gargoyle

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (03/12/86)

In article <187@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>With only a couple of hit points left, I was hit by the nurse. Instead of
>getting better, however, I was killed.
>
>What happened? Is a polymorphed nurse not the real thing?

The thing with nurses is that in order for them to give you hit
points, you have to be empty handed, and totally naked.  Otherwise,
they blow you away.

--
"Spontaneity is our middle name."
Shelli Meyers

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (03/12/86)

In article <187@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:

>Playing as a caveman, I found a wand. Not knowing what it was, I zapped a
>homonculous that was clobbering me. It turned out that the wand was a wand
>of polymorph and I had polymorphed the 'h' into a nurse.
>
>With only a couple of hit points left, I was hit by the nurse. Instead of
>getting better, however, I was killed.
>
>What happened? Is a polymorphed nurse not the real thing?

A nurse is a monster that will kill you.  A nurse does not help you.
A polymorphed homonculous into a nurse will kill you, becasue it is a
nurse.

Especially since the nurse is a very high-level monster.

|  Andrew S. Gerber    		MIT '87             Visible Language Workshop |
|  gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-mc.lcs.mit.edu, gerber@athena.mit.edu   |
|  UUCP: decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber   decvax!mit-eddie!mit-athena!gerber |

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (03/13/86)

In article <105@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> gerber@mit-amt.UUCP (Andrew S. Gerber,,,2256511) writes:
>In article <187@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>
>>Playing as a caveman, I found a wand. Not knowing what it was, I zapped a
>>homonculous that was clobbering me. It turned out that the wand was a wand
>>of polymorph and I had polymorphed the 'h' into a nurse.
>>
>>With only a couple of hit points left, I was hit by the nurse. Instead of
>>getting better, however, I was killed.
>>
>>What happened? Is a polymorphed nurse not the real thing?
>>

>A nurse is a monster that will kill you.  A nurse does not help you.
>A polymorphed homonculous into a nurse will kill you, becasue it is a
>nurse.
>
>Especially since the nurse is a very high-level monster.

This is wrong, I know.  Please don't flame at me.  It has to do with
the fact that I learned how to play HACK's high levels with a version
of HACK which raised you up 30 levels upon eating a dead giant rat.
And also it didn't care if you were hungry.  So, whenever I saw a
nurse, I killed it.

Perhaps the original poster still had armor on?

wutka@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark Wutka) (03/13/86)

In article <187@moncol.UUCP>, john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:

> With only a couple of hit points left, I was hit by the nurse. Instead of
> getting better, however, I was killed.
>
> What happened? Is a polymorphed nurse not the real thing?

  If you want a nurse to raise your hit points you need to take off all
your clothes (isn't that just like a nurse?) and unwield your weapon.

--
Mark Wutka
Office of Computing Services

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!wutka
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!wutka

Official member of NERDS (NERDS Existing in a Recursively Defined System)

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (03/16/86)

> A nurse is a monster that will kill you.  A nurse does not help you.
> A polymorphed homonculous into a nurse will kill you, becasue it is a
> nurse.
>
> Especially since the nurse is a very high-level monster.

   I beg to differ. A nurse will kick your butt BUT she will also give you
many hit points. You just have to know how to approach her - naked!
Thats right Take off all armour, wield nothing, and let her hit you.
(I hope you don't mind)

	Joseph Judge

--
Joseph Judge
C.S Department

All the same, we take our chances,
Laughed at by time, tricked by circumstances,
Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose.