[net.games.hack] A bug?

dino@bucsb.UUCP (T.H.) (02/28/86)

I was playing 'hack' the other day when I was about to starve to death.
I went into a shop and steped on a food ration.  I was too weak to
pick up the food ration so I ate it off the floor.  I went to the
entrance of the shop and paid the shopkeeper but it said "You don't owe
<shop keepers name> anything."  I thought this was strange so I ate
another food ration off the floor and the same happened again.

This is an older version of hack.  The one where you can unweild cursed
objects by writing on the floor.  Has anybody run into this before?

Tim

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (03/08/86)

In article <161@bucsb.UUCP> dino@bucsb.UUCP (T.H.) writes:
>I was playing 'hack' the other day when I was about to starve to death.
>I went into a shop and steped on a food ration.  I was too weak to
>pick up the food ration so I ate it off the floor.  I went to the
>entrance of the shop and paid the shopkeeper but it said "You don't owe
><shop keepers name> anything."  I thought this was strange so I ate
>another food ration off the floor and the same happened again.

That's in the newest version (1.0.3) as well.  Think of it as a feature.
You can eat things even when you can't pick them up; without this feature
it would be very difficult to eat dragon corpses.  It's something
the shopkeeper doesn't catch.  He also doesn't charge you for what the dog
eats.

--
- Joe Buck <ihnp4!pesnta!epimass!jbuck>
This sentence is false.

kitten@hao.UUCP (03/12/86)

> In article <161@bucsb.UUCP> dino@bucsb.UUCP (T.H.) writes:
> >I was playing 'hack' the other day when I was about to starve to death.
> >I went into a shop and steped on a food ration.  I was too weak to
> >pick up the food ration so I ate it off the floor.  I went to the
> >entrance of the shop and paid the shopkeeper but it said "You don't owe
> ><shop keepers name> anything."  I thought this was strange so I ate
> >another food ration off the floor and the same happened again.
>
> That's in the newest version (1.0.3) as well.  Think of it as a feature.
> You can eat things even when you can't pick them up; without this feature
> it would be very difficult to eat dragon corpses.  It's something
> the shopkeeper doesn't catch.  He also doesn't charge you for what the dog
> eats.
I'm surprised to hear someone say the shopkeeper doesn't charge you for what
the dog eats...I've been killed when the dog started eating tripe rations.
(the shopkeeper gets angry).  My question is how do you go about eating off
the floor?  Please be specific, and send the information to the below address.
Thanx much.

{ucbvax!hplabs | nbires | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		               !hao!kitten

CSNET: kitten@NCAR  ARPA: kitten%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (03/18/86)

In article <161@bucsb.UUCP> dino@bucsb.UUCP (T.H.) writes:
> >I was playing 'hack' the other day when I was about to starve to death.
> >I went into a shop and steped on a food ration.  I was too weak to
> >pick up the food ration so I ate it off the floor.  I went to the
> >entrance of the shop and paid the shopkeeper but it said "You don't owe
> ><shop keepers name> anything."  I thought this was strange so I ate
> >another food ration off the floor and the same happened again.
>
> That's in the newest version (1.0.3) as well.  Think of it as a feature.
> You can eat things even when you can't pick them up; without this feature
> it would be very difficult to eat dragon corpses.  It's something
> the shopkeeper doesn't catch.  He also doesn't charge you for what the dog
> eats.

The "you don't owe anything" message must have come because you were
holding no other food rations. In a recent game, I tried it and the
following happened... I ate one food ration off his floor, but was
holding 4 (already paid for- I had them when I came in). He charged me for
the four I was holding.

This is in PC-Hack 1.0.3. (an early version).

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Give an ape control of its environment and it will fill the world with bananas.