[net.games.hack] Who is Elbereth?

dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) (03/14/86)

I'm relatively new to hack.  I've heard people say something about
Elbereth and I've read a fortune cookie about naming your sword
Elbereth, but I really don't know what it all means.  I would be most
grateful for an explanation.

Also, when you get teleported into the bank vault and the guard asks you
who you are, is there any name which you can give him to make him let
you go?

					Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
APRA:    dlnash@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  cceu001@utadnx

Elbereth is the name we use for Varda Starkindler.  Indeed, that
is what the name means: `el' star + `bereth' maker.  Varda is one
of the Maiar, or more specifically, the Valar.  But no doubt that
is not what you meant.  In the game `hack', `E'ngraving the name
Elbereth on the floor keeps monsters at bay.  But beware; words
written in dust may fade away, in time.  As for the vault guard,
try giving the name Croesus.
--
Lindor, alias Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/21/86)

In article <3060@ut-ngp.UUCP> dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) writes:
>I'm relatively new to hack.  I've heard people say something about
>Elbereth and I've read a fortune cookie about naming your sword
>Elbereth, but I really don't know what it all means.  I would be most
>grateful for an explanation.
>
>Also, when you get teleported into the bank vault and the guard asks you
>who you are, is there any name which you can give him to make him let
>you go?
>
>					Don Nash

Firstly, name *only* a single two-handed sword:  Orcrist (it means
"Orc Cleaver" in Sindarin).
Elbereth ("Star-Queen", Sindarin) is the short form of what the Grey Elves
called this being, her full name being, in their language: Elbereth
Gilthoniel ("Star-Queen, Kindler (of Stars)).  She was one of the greatest
forces for good on Middle-Earth and was worshiped as a goddess by both
elves and men.  All that was Evil feared her.  She was one of the Valar,
who helped the One create the Universe, after which she and the other
Valar and the Maiar (a less powerful group) came to Middle-Earth to
live, though they live apart from men.
The name you should give to the Vault Guardian is:  Croesus.  (
(get the joke?)
Be seeing you...

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."
---"Never appeal to a man's "better nature".  He may not have one.
    Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."