[net.games.hack] Throwing gems at unicorns

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (03/24/86)

In article <290@bucsd.UUCP> sam@bucsd.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:

>> How do you get close enough to a unicorn to give it a gem?  I find them
>> to be much too elusive.
>
> Patience.  You have to be in a direct firing line with her and throw the
> gem at her.  (You miss the unicorn..-more-  The unicorn graciously accepts
> your gift.)  Basically, you just have to chase her around and hope you
> catch her off guard.  Or, try to corner her into a trap.  If you have a pick-
> axe, you can make one yourself.

The way that worked slickest for me was quaffing potions of blindness
and speed (after eating an E, of course).  The speed makes it easy to
get in line with the u;  then when she teleports after you throw the
gem you can find her again and teleport to her (with the teleport control
ring) before the potion of speed wears off.  A great way to unload gems,
though it uses up food fairly fast if you use ^T.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff