[net.games.hack] Polymorphing

robert@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (03/20/86)

I polymorphed my dog into a Troll once, which worked pretty well. My
character got killed eventually, and a new character (with a
different name, by the way) encountered "Bowser."  Old Bowser was
still a Troll, all right, but I couldn't make friends with him by
throwing food to him.  Bowser took my character apart in a couple of
rounds, and that's the last I saw of either of them.
--

	Robert Plamondon
	UUCP: {turtlevax, cae780}!weitek!robert

	"How about a little fire, Scarecrow?"

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (03/22/86)

In article <449@snow.warwick.UUCP> sfsoc@warwick.UUCP (Science Fiction + Fantasy Society) writes:
>In article <187@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP writes:
>>Something odd happened to me in a recent game that I was hoping someone on
>>the net could explain.
>>Playing as a caveman, I found a wand. Not knowing what it was, I zapped a
>>homonculous that was clobbering me. It turned out that the wand was a wand
>>of polymorph and I had polymorphed the 'h' into a nurse.
>>With only a couple of hit points left, I was hit by the nurse. Instead of
>>getting better, however, I was killed.
>>What happened? Is a polymorphed nurse not the real thing?
>  I think (and someone will probably verify this from source) that polymorph-
>ing creatures only alters the mode of attack, and probably hit points. I
>once polymorphed a shopkeeper into a xorn; when the xorn killed me, it took my
>possessions! This would indicate that it was still attacking as a shopkeeper?
>Does anyone have similar experiences? What about polymorphing the dog into
>something more useful? Does it still attack as a dog?
I have successfully utilised a wand of polymorph to do some fun things.  My
dog has been a fog cloud, a Gnome, a long worm, and a demon before.  I liked
it best when he was a demon- made for a really nasty pet.  And it still ate
tripe rations.  When I turned a shopkeeper into a quivering blob, he still
got angry, but when I killed him I had an ordinary corpse...  With all the
gold, of course, hee hee.  Didn't lose any powers, either, I don't think.
								Carl Greenberg

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/22/86)

> Does anyone have similar experiences? What about polymorphing the dog into
> something more useful? Does it still attack as a dog?

  I have often wondered the same. I once saw my dog, which I had
polymorphed into a Purple worm, get killed by an imp. Needless
to say, I was a bit mystified. I doubt a real P could be killed
by an i, so I wonder.

--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same; no one left to place or take the
blame; Will we leave this place an empty stone, or a shining ball of earth,
we can call our home"

merlin@hope.UUCP (Mike Sullivan) (03/22/86)

Since everyone is on the subject of
polymorph wands, why don't you forget
about polymorphing monsters (as they
may not appreciate your gift of power),
and polymorph items?

For example, if you have many useless
wands, and a polymorph wand, why not
line them up and polymorph away until
you get wishing wands!  Or, if you
need some good armor, gather all the
useless armor you can find, line it up,
and presto chango, a whole new wardrobe!

   A suggestion from
	 Merlin

   "Please don't ask for credit because
    having your throat torn out by a
    savage bird while a disembodied hand
    smashes your head against the bar
    often offends."

corwin@hope.UUCP (03/26/86)

> > Does anyone have similar experiences? What about polymorphing the dog into
> > something more useful? Does it still attack as a dog?
> >
>   I have often wondered the same. I once saw my dog, which I had
> polymorphed into a Purple worm, get killed by an imp. Needless
> to say, I was a bit mystified. I doubt a real P could be killed
> by an i, so I wonder.

Strange, I had a pet Purple worm that very nicely trashed a shopkeeper
for me.  When I finaly killed it, it shot me up to about level 7.
-cory

merlin@hope.UUCP (03/26/86)

> > > Does anyone have similar experiences? What about polymorphing the dog into
> > > something more useful? Does it still attack as a dog?
> > >
> >   I have often wondered the same. I once saw my dog, which I had
> > polymorphed into a Purple worm, get killed by an imp. Needless
> > to say, I was a bit mystified. I doubt a real P could be killed
> > by an i, so I wonder.
> >
> Strange, I had a pet Purple worm that very nicely trashed a shopkeeper
> for me.  When I finaly killed it, it shot me up to about level 7.
> -cory

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH CORWIN'S HEAD ***

That's very interesting, but it was still a dog so why did you kill it?