[net.games.hack] a QUESTion

yossi@Shasta.ARPA (Joseph Friedman) (03/13/86)

[]
I recall that when I saw the sources of hack version 1.0.1 (about six
months ago), I noticed that there were many `#ifdef QUEST's, and it
seemed that you could compile hack with `-DQUEST' and get a different
game.  I tried that and got compilation(!) errors.  Tried to make some
cludges in order to allow compilation, but it failed to execute.  Does
anybody know anything about the game `quest'?

Yossi Friedman

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (03/18/86)

In article <152@Shasta.ARPA> yossi@su-Shasta.ARPA (Joseph Friedman) writes:
>I recall that when I saw the sources of hack version 1.0.1 (about six
>months ago), I noticed that there were many `#ifdef QUEST's, and it
>seemed that you could compile hack with `-DQUEST' and get a different
>game.  I tried that and got compilation(!) errors.  Tried to make some
>cludges in order to allow compilation, but it failed to execute.  Does
>anybody know anything about the game `quest'?

when net.games.hack was first created, this was one of the earliest
questions.  quest requires additional files that were never distributed
with any version of hack.  the only difference between quest and hack
is that quest has irregularly shaped rooms.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (03/19/86)

What does a ring of searching do?

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (03/26/86)

In article <4586@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> brisco@topaz.UUCP writes:

>	I actually got QUEST up and running on one of our local machines
>here.  It took a little source hacking (had to change only about 3 files)
>and took me about 3 hours of distracted effort.
>
>	All in all what I got was a huge executable, a game *very* much
>like hack and some wasted time. I eventually trashed the game as not
>to many people were playing - I also had hack up.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that they can create Quest
by defining QUEST in the Hack sources. This is not the case;
defining QUEST basically cuts away a bit of the sources, and there
are other modules, specific to Quest, that should replace these.
I have not yet distributed these Quest-specific modules.