[net.games.hack] Prayer

ilacqua@bucsb.UUCP (03/10/86)

>Is there anyone out there who knows what the '# pray' command do ?
>Are there more '#' commands (aside from dip and pray) ?

# pray does nothing, or as rumors says 'the "pray" commands is not yet
implemented. A quick peek at the source shows that this is the case.
There are only the two (# dip is used to make poison arrows, darts, etc.)

--

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!ilacqua
BITNET:	engemnc@bostonu

NETOPRAM@NCSUVM.BITNET (03/14/86)

While playing PC HACK (1.0.3), I was teleported to a vault (no exits, just
gold).  Having nothing to teleport me out, I # PRAYed.  I female appeared
at a door which had not previously existed (I had searched for quite some
time for one).  She asked me my name, and I replied.  She said that she
did not know me, but asked me to follow her.  I new hall appeared and
I followed her down it.  After reaching a previously existing hall, both
the female and the new hall disappeared, not to be found again.  Prayer
did not do anything in any other life-threatening situations, and I did
not get a chance to see if it would work again in the vault.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what prayer will do.

By the way, I don't remember how I knew she was female.. something she
said indicated it.

Jay (NETOPRAM at NCSUVM via BITNET)

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/15/86)

  Any time you stay in a vault long enough, a guard will come, make you drop
all your gold, and take you out through a previously non-existant, temporary
corridor. This doesn't have anything to do with praying. I have always
wondered if a wand of secret door detection would find such a corridor for
you, but I've never had the opportunity to try it. Anyone know?

--Greg

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/20/86)

In article <166@bucsb.UUCP> ilacqua@bucsb.UUCP writes:

>>Is there anyone out there who knows what the '# pray' command do ?
>>Are there more '#' commands (aside from dip and pray) ?
>
># pray does nothing, or as rumors says 'the "pray" commands is not yet
>implemented. A quick peek at the source shows that this is the case.
>There are only the two (# dip is used to make poison arrows, darts, etc.)

There is one more "#" command that I know of, besides #dip and #pray, and
that is #sort which sorts your inventory by type of object, ie. all weapons
are at the head of your inventory and all gems are at the bottom, etc.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."

In article <170@NCSUVM> NETOPRAM@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>While playing PC HACK (1.0.3), I was teleported to a vault (no exits, just
>gold).  Having nothing to teleport me out, I # PRAYed.  I female appeared
>at a door which had not previously existed (I had searched for quite some
>time for one).  She asked me my name, and I replied.  She said that she
>did not know me, but asked me to follow her.  I new hall appeared and
>I followed her down it.  After reaching a previously existing hall, both
>the female and the new hall disappeared, not to be found again.  Prayer
>did not do anything in any other life-threatening situations, and I did
>not get a chance to see if it would work again in the vault.
>
>It would be interesting to find out exactly what prayer will do.
>
>By the way, I don't remember how I knew she was female.. something she
>said indicated it.
>
>Jay (NETOPRAM at NCSUVM via BITNET)

The vault guards are standard in Hack, her/his appearance was inevitable
and would have occurred whether you prayed or not.  One side-effect of
meeting a vault guardian is that when they find you in the vault and
realize by your name that you have no business being there, is that when
they take you back to the main dungeon they relieve you of *all* your
gold not just what you picked up in the vault, assuming that you stole
it as well.  If you haven't innate teleport (ie., your level is high enough
to teleport at will, or you have eaten a leprechaun, a tengu, or a nymph)
there is *NO* way you can get out of the vault without a guard relieving
you of all your cash and leading you back to the main dungeon complex.
Possibly you can dig your way out, but I haven't tried that yet.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

If you *can* teleport, to get the guards to leave you alone until you teleport
with your ill-gotten gains back to the main complex, simply tell them when
they ask your name that it is:  "Croesus".  The derivation of this is very
obvious.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."

wohler@sri-spam.ARPA (Bill Wohler) (03/29/86)

     apologies for posting to net.games.hack but the return address was
sooooo HORRIBLE!

     could anyone who has the #sort command please mail us the
appropriate code to add it?  we sure didn't get it in
our distribution.  no six-packs awarded if the code
arrives after i make the fix myself.  :-)

     thanks much!  i can be reached at wohler@sri-spam. (arpa).

						--bw  (aka Wohlski)