[net.games.hack] Wands of Wishing dont like me!

bull@onion.cs.reading.UUCP.UUCP (03/25/86)

Xpath: ukc eagle

I found a wand of wishing in a shop I had just looted and teleported out of.
When I used it I had four wishes.

1) I wished for '3 wands of polymorth' - I got one wand of fire;
2) I wished for 'a +5 crysknife' - I got a cursed (-1) crysknife;
3) I wished for 'a +4 leather armor' - I got a +0 leather armor;
4) I wished for '3 scrolls of genocide' - I got a scroll of bad armor;

Any ideas? I was very inexperience (ie level 5) does this have a bearing on
it. I've use wishing wands before and they've worked (most of the time). Or
are there such things as dud wands of wishing?

                    stephen bull

mail: bull@onion.cs.reading.ac.uk

argv@sri-spam.ARPA (AAAARRRRGGGGv) (03/28/86)

In article <199@onion.cs.reading.UUCP>, bull@onion.cs.reading.UUCP (Stephen) writes:
> 1) I wished for '3 wands of polymorth' - I got one wand of fire;
> 2) I wished for 'a +5 crysknife' - I got a cursed (-1) crysknife;
> 3) I wished for 'a +4 leather armor' - I got a +0 leather armor;
> 4) I wished for '3 scrolls of genocide' - I got a scroll of bad armor;

You can't wish for anything over 3.  that is, wishing for +5 crysknife
gives you a cursed crysknife.  if it *is* three that you are wishing
for, there is a random chance that you won't get what you want. safest
best is to wish for +2 stuff.  or, 2 scrolls of...  etc.

Never wish for wands.

Also, not many people know the power of empty wands.  If you've been using
a wand and it is now empty, just keep zapping it until it "wrests one more
spell out of the worn out wand."  If you like, Elbereth will keep you safe
while you do this.

merlin@hope.UUCP (Mike Sullivan) (03/28/86)

> 1) I wished for '3 wands of polymorth' - I got one wand of fire;
> 2) I wished for 'a +5 crysknife' - I got a cursed (-1) crysknife;
> 3) I wished for 'a +4 leather armor' - I got a +0 leather armor;
> 4) I wished for '3 scrolls of genocide' - I got a scroll of bad armor;

Someone has probably already answered this, and I'm sure many others will
after me, but here goes.

Wishing for "+" anything or more than one of something will only result
in your receiving one of the item, usually +0 but sometimes cursed.
This happened in 2) and 3) above.  In 1) the program couldn't find any
item in your wish, i.e. "wands of polymorph" is not an item, but
"wand of polymorph" is.  In 4), the same thing happened, you wished
for "3 scrolls of genocide". The "3" wouldn't have mattered, had you
spelled it "3 scroll of genocide".  I believe that even something
like this "adjakfjalkfaf ring of teleport control adf:lkjkjflkdjf" would
net you a ring of teleport control.  Remember, you can only wish for
one item, and you must spell it the exact way it would be given had
you identified it.
   Mike

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (03/29/86)

In article <199@onion.cs.reading.UUCP> bull@onion.UUCP (Stephen) writes:
>I found a wand of wishing in a shop I had just looted and teleported out of.
>When I used it I had four wishes.
>1) I wished for '3 wands of polymorth' - I got one wand of fire;
If you spell it wrong, you get the wrong thing.  "polymorph"
>2) I wished for 'a +5 crysknife' - I got a cursed (-1) crysknife;
Maximum enchantment on things is (I believe) +3.  Could be your game
doesn't want you making extravagant wishes.
>3) I wished for 'a +4 leather armor' - I got a +0 leather armor;
Again, the +3 maximum.  At +4 it cycles round to zero again.
>4) I wished for '3 scrolls of genocide' - I got a scroll of bad armor;
You must've spelled genocide wrong, or perhaps the wand is programmed
to say "pppphhhhhhrrrrttt" when you want to kill everything in existence.
							Carl Greenberg

king@h-sc1.UUCP (03/29/86)

> In article <199@onion.cs.reading.UUCP>, bull@onion.cs.reading.UUCP (Stephen) writes:
> > 1) I wished for '3 wands of polymorth' - I got one wand of fire;
> > 2) I wished for 'a +5 crysknife' - I got a cursed (-1) crysknife;
> > 3) I wished for 'a +4 leather armor' - I got a +0 leather armor;
> > 4) I wished for '3 scrolls of genocide' - I got a scroll of bad armor;
>
> You can't wish for anything over 3.  that is, wishing for +5 crysknife
> gives you a cursed crysknife.  if it *is* three that you are wishing
> for, there is a random chance that you won't get what you want. safest
> best is to wish for +2 stuff.  or, 2 scrolls of...  etc.

I agree about not wishing for more than 3, but item (4) seems strange; is
it bad luck?  That's what I would have assumed, but I'm no source reader.

> Never wish for wands.
I disagree; I never get more than one at a time, but its a great time to get a wand of polymorph, and the more you have, the more you get.
Finding a big cane shop spells "p-a-r-t-y" to me.

> Also, not many people know the power of empty wands.  If you've been using
> a wand and it is now empty, just keep zapping it until it "wrests one more
> spell out of the worn out wand."  If you like, Elbereth will keep you safe
> while you do this.

Absolutely!   But it takes up to 100+ zaps....

wutka@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark Wutka) (03/29/86)

In article <1011@h-sc1.UUCP>, king@h-sc1.UUCP (jon king) writes:

> > Also, not many people know the power of empty wands.  If you've been using
> > a wand and it is now empty, just keep zapping it until it "wrests one more
> > spell out of the worn out wand."  If you like, Elbereth will keep you safe
> > while you do this.
>
> Absolutely!   But it takes up to 100+ zaps....

 Not necessarily!!!!!   I have had games where I have wrested the last spell
with just 10 or 15 zaps several times!!

Also, your luck has MUCH to do with wishing for things. If your luck is too low
then you may wish for a +3 crysknife and get a -3 crysknife.
As long as I don't do anything to lower my luck I don't have ANY bad luck with
wands of wishing...except that sometimes the armor I wish for is cursed...but
is still +3!!
Also, if your luck is too low, when you wrest that last spell from a wand of wishing
it will say "Unfortunately, nothing happens"

I finally test my theory that you could escape the dungeon WITH the amulet after only
descending a few levels and then wishing for the Amulet and polymorphing from a
cheap, plastic imitation into the REAL thing!!  I did it and only descended to
level 5!!

--
Mark Wutka
Office of Computing Services

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!wutka
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!wutka

Official member of NERDS (NERDS Existing in a Recursively Defined System)