[net.games.hack] Who is Croesus?

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/27/86)

> The name you should give to the Vault Guardian is:  Croesus.  (
> (get the joke?)

  I must be really dumb, because everyone is acting like this is so obvious,
but no, I don't get the joke.

--Greg

robert@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (03/29/86)

In article <2027@hao.UUCP>, woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>   I must be really dumb, because everyone is acting like this is so obvious,
> but no, I don't get the joke.
>
> --Greg

Croesus was the King of Lydia, and got lots of free press from
Herodotus.  He was famous mostly for his wealth, which is where the
cliche "rich as Croesus" and the joke in HACK come from.
--

	Robert Plamondon
	UUCP: {turtlevax, cae780}!weitek!robert

	"How about a little fire, Scarecrow?"

king@h-sc1.UUCP (03/29/86)

> > The name you should give to the Vault Guardian is:  Croesus.  (
> > (get the joke?)
>
>   I must be really dumb, because everyone is acting like this is so obvious,
> but no, I don't get the joke.

There is an expression common to certain parts of the country,
	"Rich as Croesus"
(pronounced usually "kreesis")
He was a tyrant in ancient Greece who was extremely wealthy and very proud of it.  Find a copy of Plutarch's Lives (Plutarch was a Roman biographer).  I believe
Croesus was mentioned in reference to the life of Solon, but an index will probably tell you.  Basically, he was the example of pride going before the fall.
He eventually lost everything and grovelled pathetically.
Life's tough for greek tyrants.

	Jon King
	Harvard University Department of Trivia
	My opinions are not necessarily my own.

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/30/86)

In article <2027@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>> The name you should give to the Vault Guardian is:  Croesus.  (
>> (get the joke?)
>
>  I must be really dumb, because everyone is acting like this is so obvious,
>but no, I don't get the joke.
>
>--Greg

Croesus (or Kroisos) was the last King of Lydia around 550 BC.  His wealth
was proverbial.  He was a client of the Oracle at Delphi, where a number of
his gifts to the Oracle were seen by Herodotus.  Fragments of columns from
the temple of Artemis at Ephesus have upon them a dedication by Croesus in
Greek.  He is a historical personage, not a mythic one, so digging out a
Greek mythology book will not help you much.  It is thought that Aesop (as
in Aesop's Fables) worked for Croesus, as well.
--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."
---"Never appeal to a man's "better nature".  He may not have one.
    Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."