[net.theater] New Play: Knots

wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) (02/05/85)

	Well, this is the second time I have
posted an article wondering what happened to
all those copies of Knot that I sent out a
couple of months ago.
	To refresh the memories of net.theater
readers, I posted an article a while back
asking for people to read the first act of a
play that I am writing.  Low and behold, I got
lots of response and sent out 20+ copies of the
first act.  About a month and a half go by and
no one has written me back.  So I send out a
note bitching about the lack of response and
get a stack of notes saying, "Gee, I haven't
gotten around to reading it yet" along with
another ten requests for copies, making a grand
total of 30+ that I have sent out into the
blue.
	Another month has passed and I *still*
haven't gotten anyone to write back and tell me
just what the hell they think of the first act.
Maybe this should be telling me something.  On
the other hand, seeing how dead things are in
net.theater perhaps no one is interested
anymore.
	Whatever the case, if you are one of
the people who got a copy and you bothered to
read it, please send me a little something
describing your reactions.  As I said before, I
don't care if you think it was garbage.  What
is important is *why* you thought it was
garbage.  Don't be afraid of hurting my
feelings; this is not the first play I have
written and your dislike for it will not make
it my last.
	A note on progress:  I am now working
on the third and final act.  The second act is
fairly polished and I am willing to send it out
for perusal.  It explains a lot, so those of
you who were confused by the first act might
take a look at the second (people around here
were grabbing it out of my hands to find out
what happens next).  The only condition is that
I won't send you a copy of act two until you
write to me what you thought of act one.
	I'm kind of sad to see this newsgroup
withering.  I suppose it's possible that the
people who have access to the net are not on
the average extremely interested in theatre.
Well, I'm one serious (read starving)
actor/director/playwright who is willing to
discuss more than anecdotes.

				Bill Baker
				tektronix!reed!wab

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/07/85)

In article <896@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) writes:

>	Well, this is the second time I have
>posted an article wondering what happened to
>all those copies of Knot that I sent out a
>couple of months ago.
>
>Maybe this should be telling me something.

I haven't read Knot(s), so I can't say anything specifically about it,
but recently I attended one of the Playworks series at the Berkeley
Repertory Theatre.  These are plays under development, semi-staged by
real actors and watched by about 50 people.  A discussion follows.

The play we saw was an allegory about the Japanese internment during
WW II.  A young Japanese man who identifies with Godzilla has a
love/hate relationship with his weird white landlady.  I found it
mysogonistic, shallow, and almost totally without merit, and I'm sure
many of the others watching it felt the same way.  Nonetheless, in the
discussion that followed, it was discussed as though it had been a
serious work.  Comments focused on technical or structural points, and
no one even hinted that they thought it was junk.

This a long way of getting around to saying that perhaps the inhabitants
of USENET are too polite to say anything negative about anyone else's
creative efforts { :-) }.

Getting back to Knots, perhaps the
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

aeq@pucc-h (The Blackguard of the West) (02/09/85)

I am posting this to net.theater because apparently my mail has not gotten
through.  Twice I have requested a copy of this new play.  I have never
received a copy, though apparently (according to a previous posting) the
requests of several others at Purdue have gotten through.  (I hope that I
was not deliberately deprived of the opportunity to read this because of
some misconception of me as one who was guaranteed to provide only destructive
criticism!)  I would appreciate receiving copies of acts 1 and 2 now that
they're ready.  Thanks.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) (02/13/85)

> In article <896@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) writes:
> >
> >	Well, this is the second time I have
> >posted an article wondering what happened to
> >all those copies of Knot that I sent out a
> >couple of months ago.
> >
> >Maybe this should be telling me something.
>
> I haven't read Knot(s), so I can't say anything specifically about it,
> but recently I attended one of the Playworks series at the Berkeley
> Repertory Theatre.  These are plays under development, semi-staged by
> real actors and watched by about 50 people.  A discussion follows.
>
> The play we saw was an allegory about the Japanese internment during
> WW II.  A young Japanese man who identifies with Godzilla has a
> love/hate relationship with his weird white landlady.  I found it
> mysogonistic, shallow, and almost totally without merit, and I'm sure
> many of the others watching it felt the same way.  Nonetheless, in the
> discussion that followed, it was discussed as though it had been a
> serious work.  Comments focused on technical or structural points, and
> no one even hinted that they thought it was junk.
>
> This a long way of getting around to saying that perhaps the inhabitants
> of USENET are too polite to say anything negative about anyone else's
> creative efforts { :-) }.
>
> Getting back to Knots, perhaps the
> --
> Richard Mateosian
> {allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

	Boy, when they start comparing your work to Godzilla drama, it's
time to give up the ship.  Maybe I should go into advertising...
	A more temperamental artist might be irked at the above,
but I'm willing to believe that Mr. Mateosian's symbology is
sincere.  However, the suggestion that readers of my play are
universally aghast and wish to have nothing to do with the kind of
twisted junkie who writes such trash is, perhaps, not valid.  I
have said time and again that I don't care if you think
Knot is suitable only for wrapping fish.  What I want to know is
why you think so.  Believe me, I have had my baptism of fire
already.
	An update:  My last posting garnered about ten more
requests for copies of the third act and *no* replies from previous
receivers.  Am I kidding myself?  Is Knot so bad that reading it
can kill you on the spot?  Somehow I doubt this.  One gentleman
asked why I didn't just mail these people a plea for an answer.  To
be truthful, I removed the old requests so that
I don't have a record anymore.  The real reason,
though, is to shame someone into replying.  Hey, I think this
newsgroup is a great idea; why don't we make it happen for real.

					Bill Baker
					tektronix!reed!wab