[net.theater] Props update

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (05/17/85)

   Well, folks, it's been kind of quiet on net.theater lately.  I've gotten a
few responses to my prop query and here are the totals so far in our "Name the
Play with the Most Difficult Prop List" contest:

Two votes for You Can't Take it With You

Two votes for Sleuth

One vote for Sweeney Todd (along with a dissenting vote)

One vote for Deathtrap

One vote for The Ride Across Lake Constance (costumes--not props)

Let's get some more replies.  Post them or mail them to udenva!showard

PS  While we're doing You Can't Take it With You, we're also wondering about
this:  what's the (non-musical) play with the largest cast?  YCTIWY has 19,
I think Witness for the Prosecution and Inherit the Wind have more, but I'm
not sure.  Let's get this one going.

--Mr. Blore, aka the DJ who would not die,
                                          aka Steve Howard
 ...udenva!showard

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/24/85)

In article <669@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:

>PS  While we're doing You Can't Take it With You, we're also wondering about
>this:  what's the (non-musical) play with the largest cast?

Eugene O'Neill wrote some really strange plays during the 1920s, some of which
required huge casts.  In particular, I remember reading "Lazarus Laughed", which
called for a cast in the neighborhood of 100, what with the pseudo-Greek chorus
and all.  What's more, some poor costumer had to provide masks for each and
every cast member.  I don't know if "Lazarus Laughed" ever was produced, but
it certainly sounds expensive.  It's not, unfortunately, very good.

Many Shakespearean plays require very large casts, as well, even without the
hoards of extras which add to the atmosphere.  This is why doubling of actors
in several parts is so popular in Shakespearean productions.  I was in a
production of "Macbeth" which had at least 25 speaking performers, many doing
several parts.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

grl@charm.UUCP (George Lake) (05/31/85)

	Inherit the wind is a good candidate for a cast
intensive drama.  Crowd and courtroom scenes.