[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V1 #46

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (12/31/84)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC%CU20B@COLUMBIA.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Mon, 31 Dec 1984       Volume 1 : Number 46

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
        Kermit for MUSIC
	More Kermit Articles
        UUCP Kermit Distribution Instructions

  MISCELLANY -
        Kermit over Arpanet/Milnet TAC's
        P/OS Kermit V1.0 Terminal Emulation
        Suggestions for CP/M-80 Kermit

Date: Wed 26 Dec 84 15:08:18-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit for MUSIC
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA

A version of Kermit for the McGill University System for Interactive
Computing (MUSIC), a timesharing system for IBM 370-series mainframes, has
been contributed by Marie Schriefer of Indiana/Purdue University.  It is
based on the VM/CMS version of Kermit and has about the same capabilities
(lacking only the ability to do wildcard SENDs).  The files are available
via anonymous FTP from host CU20B, under KER:IMUSIC.ASM (source) and
KER:IMUSIC.DOC (documentation).

------------------------------

Date: Fri 28 Dec 84 11:08:18-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: More Kermit Articles
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA

PC TECH JOURNAL has a feature article on Kermit by Augie Hansen, starting
on page 110 of the January 1985 issue.  This article came as a surprise to
us, but considering that we weren't asked about the material it's
unexpectedly accurate (if somewhat dated).  It's mostly a rehash of
material from our BYTE article (June and July 1984), the manuals, and some
tidbits gleaned from source code.  There are just a few nits worth
picking:

. Kermit is not in the public domain.  Most Kermit programs are
  copyrighted, but come with permission to copy and redistribute them
  freely, so long as it's not for profit.

. Most major Kermit implementations are now capable of user/server
  operation.

. Figure 4 is a "transaction diagram", but it omits one of the most
  important features of a Kermit transaction -- the epilogue, in which the
  EOT packet tells the recipient that the transaction has ended (e.g. that
  all files in the group have been sent).

An accompanying article on p.130 describes a product called "Telios", one
of the many commercial programs appearing on the market that include
Kermit, Xmodem, terminal emulation, and modem control (dialing, scripts,
etc).  A similar product, "MLink", was announced on page 221 of December
1984 Data Communications.

PC Magazine for January 1985 has a feature article on Micro-Mainframe
communications by Bill Catchings (SY.WBC3), and an accompanying article
"The Async Link" by Frank Derfler surveys several asynchronous protocols,
including Kermit, and even provides a reader service number to circle on
the bubble card (gasp!).

------------------------------

Date:     19 Dec 84 11:41:42-CST (Wed)
From:     Mark Vasoll <vasoll%okstate.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To:       Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject:  UUCP Kermit Distribution Instructions

   You need to set up "okstate" as a site in your "L.sys" UUCP dialing file
using the information listed below.  You can then issue the following
command on your system:

	uucp okstate\!/u/kermit/cpm\* /usr/spool/uucppublic

   (this example will retrieve the CP/M version of Kermit)

I chose "/usr/spool/uucppublic" as the destination on your system since
the destination must be WIDE OPEN (drwxrwxrwx) to everyone.  You should
not remove files from your uucppublic until the entire transfer is complete
including any redials that are necessary.  If you do remove some files
our system may retransmit them, resulting in a higher phone bill for
you.

   There are 2 files available that contain information about the entire
distribution.  We recommend that you retrieve these files first.  They
are "00readme.txt" which explains the file name conventions used, and
"00directory" which is a complete listing (by name) of all files in the
distribution.  These files will enable you to choose the right files
the first time to save those high dollar phone bills.

- UUCP Login information -

	UUCP distribution of Kermit is provided as a public service of:

	Oklahoma State University
	Department of Computing and Information Sciences
	Stillwater, Oklahoma

UUCP login information for site:  okstate

Phone number :  (405) 624-6953  (one line only)
Login name   :  uucpker
Password     :  thefrog
Hours        :  10:00pm - 10:00am central time (7 day per week)
Problem      :  okstate!uucp-support  (UUCP)
  reports    :  uucp-support%okstate@csnet-relay  (ARPA)

The phone number is for 300/1200 baud (bell compatible).

Mark Vasoll
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

       ...!ihnp4!umn-cs!isucs1!\
UUCP:     ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!ea! > okstate!vasoll
       ...!convex!ctvax!uokvax!/

ARPA:  vasoll%okstate.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

P.S. -- The system Okstate will be down from 8 a.m. on January 8th until 5 p.m.
on January 9th to make some changes in our configuration.  When services resume
on January 9th no changes should be evident to our UUCP connections.

Please note that UUCP Kermit distribution will not be available during this
time, but will resume on January 9th at 5 p.m.

------------------------------

From: Jim Guyton <guyton@rand-unix>
Date: 23 Dec 84 22:17:32 PST (Sun)
To: Info-Kermit-request@columbia-20
Subject: Kermit over Arpanet/Milnet TAC's

Excuse me if this is already documented, but it might be worth a
note in the Kermit user's manual on how to run kermit over TAC's.

What I've read / figured-out is  ...

 1) Use the "@B O S" and "@B I S" commands to the tac
    to get into binary mode, and

 2) Reduce the size of the send buffer (by "set send packet-size 25"
    to the ibm pc version of kermit).

This combination just worked over a two-network hop (milnet-arpanet-randnet)
but that a packetsize of 96 was too big for the tac took me by surprise.

Anyway, just fyi ...

-- Jim

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 84 19:46:25 EST
From: D. M. Rosenblum <DR01@CMU-CC-TE>
Subject: P/OS Kermit V1.0 terminal emulation
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B

Several months ago I included a question about a problem with P/OS Kermit V1.0
terminal emulation in a long message asking various Kermit questions.  I never
heard anything more about it.  I'm wondering if you could either include this
message in the next Info-Kermit digest, or pass it on to the folks at Stevens
who take care of P/OS Kermit.  (Note to anyone at Stevens who is reading this
as a result of either method of transmission: the system I work on here at
C-MU is on the same DECNET as the Stevens machines, so anyone who is qualified
and willing to discuss this should be able to send me mail, to DR01@CMCCTE.)

The problem is that if I am doing terminal emulation in P/OS Kermit V1.0 and I
connect to a VAX-11/780 running VMS V3.7, and I do a SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE, I
get a "%SYSTEM-W-DEVREQERR Device request error" message, and the terminal
type is not set (it remains at the system default, viz. Unknown).  I have to
do a SET TERMINAL/DEVICE=VT100 to set the device, which is annoying because my
LOGIN.COM is set up to do an automatic SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE.  Is it possible
that I have some parameters set incorrectly?  The settings that I use (for the
ones that seem to be at all possibly relevant) are:

Line: Receive speed	4800	Terminal: Local echo			Off
      Transmit speed	4800		  Transparent function keys	Off
      Parity		None		  IBM-Flag			Off
      XON/XOFF		ENABLED		  7-Bit character codes		On

Any advice that anyone reading this can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 26 Dec 84 10:48:12 EST
From: rmcqueen(Robert C McQueen)%sitvxa.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
To: dr01@CMU-CC-TE, SY.FDC@CU20B

Problem:
        SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE gives an error message under VMS version 3.7
        for PRO/Kermit terminal emulation.

Diagnosis:
        PRO/Kermit always responds that it is a Pro350 to the terminal id
        request.  PRO/Communications has the option of responding as if it
        were a VT102, VT125 or Professional.

Cure:
        [Sorry, but...]  It is my understanding that VMS 4.0 will support the
        new terminal types (VT2xx and Professional).

- Bob McQueen

------------------------------

Date: 27 Dec 1984 0520-EST
From: LCG.KERMIT
To: EIBEN
Subject: Suggestions for CP/M-80 Kermit

      Suggestions for KERMIT-80:

Send XON before any NAK packet.

Read 64 file names at a time.

Change INTCHR in CP4TT.ASM to not ignore modem when waiting for ^\S.

If "P" or ^P is typed after the ESCape char, toggle SET PRINTER ON/OFF ala CPM.

Add "DELete" as synonym for "ERA".

Call the DIR routine in ERAse to tell user what files were deleted.

Add "REMOTE DIR" and related commands.

Add "REMOTE SET FILE BYTE-SIZE 8" command (for talking to KERMIT-10/20).

Put 8080/Z80 test in init code, MOVER in independent part.

      Suggestion for VT180:

When DEBUG is on, set the limited scrolling region to lines 13-24 and set
jump scroll.  Show the text of the file being transmitted or received in
this area, with all characters execpt TAB, CR, and LF in # form.
Because the serial line to the VT100 screen is always faster than the
line to the modem, it is possible to send 1 character to the VT100 each
time through the loop that checks on the modem and not lose any characters
from the modem (provided that the user does not type Control-S).

Joe Smith, CSM COmputing Center (303)273-3448 (303)986-8366

[Ed. - Good suggestions; most of these have been on the list for some time.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------