[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #7

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (02/19/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC%CU20B@COLUMBIA.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Tue, 19 Feb 1985       Volume 2 : Number  7

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
        New Release of CP/M-80 Kermit

  UNIX KERMIT -
        Os9 C-Kermit Informal Work/Dicussion List
        C-Kermit Filenames, Dialing
        Problems With C-Kermit Options

Date: 18 Feb 1985 23:39 PST
From: Charles Carvalho <CHARLES@ACC>
Subject: New Release of CP/M-80 Kermit
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B

Version 4.05 of CP/M-80 Kermit is ready for testing.  Basically, all I did
was merge the changes I've received, with minor modifications.  There will
still be further releases after this (see below).  Here are some quick notes
on what's in v4.05:

From Hal Hostetler:
    Remember the current port, and display it in the output from the
	STATUS command.
    Fix some screen positioning errors in the file transfer commands;
	clear the screen when file transfer is aborted with ^C.
    Support Lobo MAX-80 computer.

From Paul Milazzo, Rice University:
    Extend H89 support (add SET SPEED and ability to send BREAK).
    Use BDOS version number to determine proper algorithm for disk space
	calculation.  (CPM3 users no longer have to run the generic
	version)

From Joe Smith, Colorodo School of Mines:
    Support the Northstar Horizon with Northstar CP/M and SIO-4 board.

From Vanya J. Cooper,  Pima Community College:
    Fix the checks for valid characters in CP/M filenames.  The characters
	<>.,;:?*[]_%|()/\ are not permitted; lower case letters are
	converted to upper case.  If the flag "ffussy" in the linkage
	section is set (at compile time, or by patching), we are more
	liberal.  The other special characters are always permitted;
	this means you can erase those filenames with ampersands from
	within Kermit.
    Fix problems with reparsing "?" in filespecs; also check for legality
	of wildcards.
    Add a fairness count to the input loop in CONNECT mode, so that the
	keyboard doesn't get locked out when the printer is running the
	same speed as the modem line.
    Major improvements in logging: use the large buffer; allow logging
	to be suspended (<esc>Q) and resumed (<esc>R) during CONNECT mode;
	retain the logging status and filename across multiple CONNECT
	sessions, incidentally fixing the horrendous bug where a file
	could be overwritten if the FCB was reused between the LOG command
	and the CONNECT command; add the SET LOGGING ON/OFF commands to
	control logging (LOG <filespec> enables logging and specifies the
	name of the logfile; SET LOGGING ON uses the last specified logfile
	or KERMIT.LOG if none was given).  If the logfile already exists,
	it will be appended to, rather than overwritten.
    Add connect mode <esc>P command to toggle printer on and off.
    Add separate conditional for the Xerox 820; it's just different enough
	from the Kaypro to be a pain.

    The large buffer size has been dropped to 8K bytes (from 16K); this
should help the systems that counldn't transfer larger files because of
protocol timeouts while the buffer was being written to disk.  I haven't
implemented the commands to change the timeouts yet, which is the ideal
solution.  I received a fix for the DECmate to IBM problem (where the
DECmate swallows the turnaround character), but it's not in this version.

    I also have a CP4SYS for multitudes of Apple configurations, from
Jonathan Beeson and Francis Wilson of Columbia Teachers College, but it
has persuaded me that it is time to split up CP4SYS.ASM.  Not one version
per system, yet, just per family.  Most of the "inout"-type systems could
stay together, for instance; with another file for the "iobyt" systems.

    I haven't tested version 4.05 extensively, but I have verified that it
compiles for all machines.  (I've also tried assembling some configurations
with MAC80).

    The files are available via anonymous FTP from CU20B as KER:CP4*.*.
A list of the specific files is in KER:CP4AAA.HLP.  The previous version,
4.03, will still be available for a limited time as KO:CP4*.*.  Users of
Kermit on the various CP/M systems are encouraged to get the new version,
try it out, and report how or whether it works to CHARLES@ACC, cc to
Info-Kermit.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 16 Feb 85 00:54:02-PST
From: Bob Larson <BLARSON%ECLD@ECLA>
Subject: Os9 C-Kermit Informal Work/Dicussion List
To: info-kermit@CU20B

Due to the interest in os9 kermit recently generated by the new Unix
Kermit, I have created a redistribution list for people working on os9
kermit.  If you want to be added or deleted from this list, send me mail.
(There are currently six people on this list... pretty big for an obscure
os.)  To mail to the list, send it to me and I will remail it to the list
if it is of general interest.

Systems currently represented:  3 coco's, 2 non-coco 6809 (1 level 1,
1 level ?), and 1 os9/68000.  Locations range from Los Angeles to Germany.
Networks include arpanet, csnet, and usenet.

Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa
Csnet(?): Blarson%Usc-Ecl.Arpa@Csnet-relay
Uucp(??): {ucbvax,seismo,harvard,uw-beaver}!blarson{@,%}Usc-Ecl.Arpa
Others: Your guess is probably better than mine

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 85 11:09:53 pst
From: Mark Seager <seager@lll-crg.ARPA>
To: SY.FDC@CU20B
Subject: C-Kermit Filenames, Dialing

	I put the new version of C-Kermit up on our Vax 11/780 running
UNIX 4.2 bsd last week.  A few users have complained that kermit is
messing around with the file names and they would like the ability to turn
this "feature" off.  Could another option be added so that no filename
translation is done?

[Ed. - You can disable the filename conversion with "set file naming literal"
-- see the documentation.]

	Also, how does one establish a connection with another host
with kermit over a modem line?  I know how to get tip to dial another host
and so forth, but when you exit tip our system hanges up the line.

[Ed. - To do dialing, just give the "connect" command, then type the
appropriate dialing commands directly to your modem (e.g. "ATD765-4321"
for a Hayes-like modem), wait for a successful return code (for Hayes, a
"1") then you're connected.  No support is included for manipulating
dialers, since there are too many different kinds, and the program is big
enough (too big) already.  By the way, even Kermit may give you some
trouble with hanging up.  The next release (this week or next, I hope)
should work better -- no hanging up until the program terminates, or the
line is changed.]
			Thanks,
			Mark (seager@lll-crg.ARPA)

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 15 Feb 85 23:30:25 CST
From: Paul Milazzo <milazzo@rice.ARPA>
Subject:  Problems With C-Kermit Options
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA

I really like the new C Kermit, but I have a small problem with it.  At
first glance, there doesn't seem to be any way to set block check type
on the command line, or binary mode in the interactive mode.  I finally
tried "kermit -i", and then set block check type to 3 in interactive
mode, and sent a file to my CP/M system.  Sadly, the resulting file was
somehow garbaged.

Am I missing something?

				Thanks,
				Paul G. Milazzo <milazzo@rice.ARPA>
				Dept. of Computer Science
				Rice University, Houston, TX

[Ed. - It's true, there's no block-check changing option on the command
line.  Easy to add, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.  In
interactive mode, use "set block-check 3" and "set file type binary".
It's in the documentation.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------