[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #16

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (04/03/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Tue,  2 Apr 1985       Volume 2 : Number 16

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	New Edition of the Kermit User Guide Available
	Commodore-64 Kermit Bootstrap Program in C
	PDP-11 Kermit Problems and a Fix

  UNIX KERMIT -
	Problem with C-Kermit 4.2 Connect Command
	C-Kermit 4.2 on 4.1 BSD

  MISCELLANY -
	VTAM Translate Tables for TSO-KERMIT?
	Prime Kermit Bug
	MS-KERMIT 2.26/MULTICS-KERMIT and LU.EXE (binary file)
	Kermit for DG Eclipse running Calma DOS?

Date: Mon 1 Apr 85 17:58:50-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: New Edition of the Kermit User Guide Available

The sixth edition of the Kermit User Guide is now available.  The major
difference is that most of the chapters describing the specific
implementations have been brought up to date.  The introductory and main
sections have also been fleshed out a little.  The result, unfortunately,
is substantially bigger than the previous edition.  The new User Guide can
be obtained via anonymous FTP from CU20B as KER:KUSER.DOC.  The Scribe text
formatter source is in KER:KUSER.MSS (and in all the files it "@includes").

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 85  16:53 EST
From: acdmayer@UOGUELPH.BITNET
Subject: Commodore-64 Kermit Bootstrap Program in C

Here's "c64boot.c", a program to download files to the C64, modelled on
C64BOOT.CLU, for those who don't have CLU.  Although written on a Unix
system, the C code contains no kernel calls and should be fairly portable.
Written by: Alastair Mayer, U. of Guelph, 2-Apr-85

[Ed. - It's in KER:C64BOOT.C on CU20B, available via anonymous FTP.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun Mar 24 1985 13:52:17
From: Marco Papa <papa%usc-cse.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Problem with C-Kermit 4.2

I have encountered the following problem more than once now and on two
different versions of C-Kermit (the Berkeley and PC/IX).  While in
"connect" mode, using an Hayes-compatible modem, randomly the program
stops accepting input from the keyboard.  Sometimes I can at least escape
back locally and get the C-Kermit prompt, but sometimes there is no way to
get out of it.  On the other hand characters can continue to arrive from
the line and are correctly displayed on the screen.  Very distressing
under PC/IX, most of the time I cannot escape back to the C-Kermit prompt,
and the only thing that I can do is rebooting the system.  I have seen
this to happen at least once when garbage was coming in from the line. Has
anybody experienced a similar problem?

Marco Papa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 85 02:58:08 pst
From: Ken Poulton <poulton%hplabs.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: C-Kermit on 4.1 BSD

I put C-Kermit up on 4.1 BSD.  Doing it was really pretty easy: it turns
out that the Tower OS must be a 4.1 port.  Defining a general 4.1 version
was mainly a question of selecting from the Tower, BSD4, and UXIII code
already there; I only wrote two lines of C (but did lots of ifdef changes).

I'll be sending those changes along with my other changes, hopefully next
week.

[Ed. - Once these changes arrive, it will take a good amount of time to
fit them together with all the other changes -- I've got pile of notes and
contributions over an inch thick...]

------------------------------

Date:        24 Mar 85 17:35 +0100
From:        Michael_Evans_S-E-Banken%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:     VTAM translate tables for TSO-KERMIT?

I have assembled TSO-KERMIT for MVS/XA and have now run into exactly
the problem described in the .BWR file: packets from TSO-KERMIT are
just not getting through to the terminal.

Our communications people know very little about the support of ASCII
terminals under TSO. They tolerate rather than support these as the
majority of our terminals are 3270s or compatibles, with no protocol
converters. If KERMIT is going to work, I will have to do most of the
work myself.

We are using pure IBM communications products under MVS/XA on a
3081-KX or a 3084-QX. We have very recent releases of ACF/VTAM and
ACF/NCP. I can find out the exact releases if this is needed to solve
the problem. The ASCII terminals connect either directly to the 3725
TP controllers using the NTO software or via X25 networks using the
NPSI software.

And now my question: which translate tables must be altered in order
that KERMIT will work ? I assume that we are using vanilla IBM-
supplied tables throughout. There are just so many places where
something could be going wrong that I would appreciate help in
pointing the probable places to be changed.

The TSO command TERMINAL has an operand CHAR which allows specific
translations to be specified. However setting values with this does
not seem to have the desired effect. The only hint is in the TSO
Command Language Reference which under the CHAR operand says "Do not
select characters which may be device control characters". I assume
this refers to CTRL-characters such as <CTRL-A>.

[Ed. - The IBM mainframe Kermit programs contain their own EBCDIC/ASCII
translate tables.  Data goes in and out of the program in EBCDIC, but ASCII
is used internally so that the checksum can be computed correctly.  When
the IBM system sends Kermit's EBCDIC packets out an ASCII line, it
translates from EBCDIC to ASCII (and conversely for incoming packets).
Thus, Kermit's translate table must agree with the system's.  If it
doesn't, then the Kermit translate table can be changed.  But note that
Kermit's table is invertible; if your system's table is not invertible,
you could have big trouble.  Kermit's table corresponds to the one given
in the IBM System/370 Reference Summary, GX20-1850-5.]

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 29 Mar 85 12:08:07 PST
From:     walton%deimos@cit-hamlet.arpa
Subject:  PDP-11 Kermit

The version of Kermit-11 currently sent by KERMSRV is T2.24.  I have
installed this on our PDP-11/44 running RSX-11M-Plus version 2.1, and have
two bugs to report, one of which I fixed.

(1) In the subroutine assdev::, the starting label $1 is attached to the
statement after the save registers statement.  It should, of course, be
attached to the save statement, otherwise the subsequent unsave sticks
garbage into the registers and corrupts the stack pointer.  Unfortunately,
this did not fix the other problem, which is:

(2) Packet receiving is totally dysfunctional when Kermit-11 is operating
in local mode.  We have a hard-wired dialout modem connected to one of our
terminal lines (without the DSR and DTR lines hooked into our DZ11).
Version 2.11 of Kermit-11 sent and received files just dandy over this line,
but its terminal emulation was awful.  Version 2.24 fixed up the terminal
emulation and added several more Kermit commands, but in the process
broke the file transfer.  Debug mode of both Kermits confirms that packets
sent by Kermit-11 are received by the remote Kermit, but the reverse is
not true.

------------------------------

DATE: FRIDAY, 29 MAR 1985
FROM: BRIAN AT UOFT02
TO: SY.FDC AT CU20B
SUBJECT: kermit and rsx

Thanks for forwarding the note.  The thing regarding rsx ASSDEV:: routine
is odd, it must have been there since summer and no one caught it.
Regarding packet transfer, that's the first I've heard of it; too often
RSX systems seem to have quirks that are unique to the site -- it could be
a config problem.  After fixing the stack register save junk, I ran
Kermit-11 under RSX-11/M+ v2.1 on an 11/44 hardwired to a Rainbow at 9600
baud.  No problems were encounted using either the 11/44 or the Rainbow as
servers.

For those who need to know, in ASSDEV: move the 1$: to the save <r1,r2,r3>
line.  Only affects RSX (not P/OS) and only when the SET LINE command is
used.  File is K11M41.MAC

                                                brian nelson
                                                brian@uoft02.bitnet

[Ed. - The aforementioned fix is installed in K11M41.MAC on CU20B and
on BITNET KERMSRV.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 24 Mar 85 23:14:41-PST
From: Bob Larson <BLARSON%ECLD@ECLA>
Subject: Prime kermit bug
To: info-kermit@CU20B.ARPA

Prime Kermit is quoting the 8-bit character even when 8-bit quoting is not
being done.  Using defaults, this causes ampersands ('&') to be received
as lower case f's by some versions of kermit, e.g. the old Unix Kermit
that is the base of the current os9 kermit effort.

------------------------------

Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 85 14:32 EST
From:  "Eric J. Swenson" <Swenson@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  MS-KERMIT 2.26/MULTICS-KERMIT and LU.EXE (binary file)

I cannot seem to be able to transfer LU.EXE (on Multics) to my Z100
using MS-KERMIT 2.6.  MULTICS-KERMIT claims "wrong packet type" and
MS-KERMIT claims "unable to receive data".  I have indicated to
MULTICS-KERMIT that it should use binary mode, rather than text mode.

What am I doing wrong?

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 1985 2135-PST
From: FAE.WU at Ames-VMSB
Subject: Kermit for DG Eclipse running Calma DOS?
To: INFO-KERMIT at CU20B

Does anyone have a version of kermit for a Data General Eclipse running
Calma DOS?

Alex Woo

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------