[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #18

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (04/05/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu,  4 Apr 1985       Volume 2 : Number 18

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	New Kermit for Honeywell CP6
	New Release of Kermit for Intel ISIS MDS System
	New Release of Apollo/Aegis Pascal Kermit
	Kermit for Sanyo 1100 MBC with CP/M-80 2.2

  MISCELLANY -
	UK Kermit Resposibilities
	Need KERMIT for DG/One
	Unix Questions
	MS-KERMIT 2.26/Multics-KERMIT
	KERMIT on M6800

Date: Thu 4 Apr 85 17:05:13-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: New Kermit for Honeywell CP6

Contributed by Cheryl Ann Poostay of Bucknell University, this new Kermit
implementation is based upon the University of Toronto Pascal VMS Kermit,
and provides the basic remote Kermit services.  The files are in
KER:HCP6*.*, available, as usual, via anonymous FTP from host CU20B.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 4 Apr 85 17:02:50-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: New Release of Kermit for Intel ISIS MDS System

Submitted by Teresa Koo of Intel in Santa Clara, this releases fixes some
problems in the previous release (for instance, the previous release could
not send files to VMS), and adds some new documentation (the previous
release had none).  The files are in KER:MDS*.* on CU20B.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 4 Apr 85 17:06:59-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: New Release of Apollo/Aegis Pascal Kermit

From Steve Case of Control Data, this new release fixes some bugs and adds
a SET FILE_TYPE command to allow transfer of binary files.  The new
version (2.6) replaces the old one (2.3) as KER:APOLLO.* on CU20B.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 4 Apr 85 18:06:17-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit for Sanyo 1100 MBC with CP/M-80 2.2

Contributed by Randall Simmons of Southwest Texas State University, this
implementation is based on version 3.6 of CP/M-80 Kermit.  Since the main
Kermit distribution area is very tight on space, the files have been
placed in KE:CPMSYO.* (note, KE:, not KER:) on CU20B.  Perhaps someone who
has a Sanyo 1100 will move this support into the current version of
CP/M-80 "modular" Kermit (version 4.05).

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 3 Apr 85 11:50:32 BST
From:     Chris-on-Fridays <cjk@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject:  UK Kermit Resposibilities

Kermiteers:

     A meeting was held in the bar at Sheffield last Monday evening, at
which there were a number of Kermit-interested people present.  We
threshed out some policy about who looks after what.  The effect is:-

1.  Lancaster will look after Kermit sources and try to keep a list of
who-has-what.  They will get new tapes from Columbia about 4 times a year,
and pull in other stuff by ARPA-ftp.  They will keep all this (or as much
as possible) online and available by NIFTP or Kermit.  The "who-has-what"
is really a list of names of those who have running binaries on
transferrable media, and are willing to supply floppies etc.

interested parties in UK (and possibly Europe if we have connectivity).
Anybody who wants his/her name added to or deleted from this list, mail me
(cjk@ucl-cs).  Anybody who wants to distribute info to the UK Kermit
fraternity, mail it to info-kermit@ucl and our mailing system will expand
and forward.

3.  I will serve as a relay for info from Columbia which is not new
versions of Kermits. This principally means the information digests.  As
each one comes in I will move it into /44d/kermit/infodig and send a copy
of its contents-header to info-kermit@ucl-cs; you can then extract it
either by NIFTP or by Kermit.

     In line with this, I am removing the majority of the source texts
from the /44d/kermit directory.  They are in any case now about a year
old.  I will try to hold as much text information online as possible.

     If anyone has trouble importing the larger documents, let me know.  I
could split them up into chapters.

                                        Chris K.

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 3 Apr 85 08:55 EST
From:  Wiedemann@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  Need KERMIT for DG/One
To:  info-kermit@CU20B.ARPA

We have need for a KERMIT for our new Data General/One portable.  These
are IBM clones with the exception of the communications UART.  In an
effort to keep power consumption to a minimum, DG opted for an 82C51
UART instead of the 8250 the IBM uses.  This precludes the DG/One from
using IBM communi- cations software.

If necessary, I can provide a driver routine (in 8086 assembler) from
the DG/One programmers manual which details the command structure for
the 82C51 as well as the DG/One power management scheme.

Thanx for your help!

Wolf Wiedemann RADC-MULTICS

[Ed. - Many have expressed interest, but no one has offered the driver
routine before.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 3 Apr 85 16:18:25-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: Unix Questions

A couple possible solutions for C-Kermit problems:

1. Recursive directory listings produced by "directory" command, or by
server when given "remote directory" with no argument or "*" -- use "ls
-ld" rather than "ls -l".  I checked in 4.2bsd, ATT System V, and Venix
manuals, and all support "ls -ld".  Are there any Unix systems that don't?

2. It is considered desirable to use the user's shell for any system
commands, or executing "!" commands.  Can this be done in all versions of
Unix by making a string of the form "$SHELL -c " concatenated with the
desired command, and then feeding it to system()?  Not elegent, but then
neither is fork/pipe creation/deletion.

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 3 Apr 85 18:53 EST
From:  "John C. Klensin" <Klensin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  MS-KERMIT 2.26/Multics-KERMIT

Well, MS-KERMIT works, but you have probably gotten into the midst of
the Multics kermit mess.  Without reciting the history and boring
everyone else, there are four known versions of Multics kermit on the
MIT Multics machine, none completely satisfactory.  They are, in no
particular order:

   Oakland version I, as modified by MIT (the one you find if you don't
do anything special).  This version does not do binary transfers
correctly, and sometimes randomly decides that it is in eighth-bit
quoting mode, resulting in some arbitrary character being consistently
garbled.  This version understands something about Multics text files,
and translates names to lower case, and so forth.  The MIT
modifications, in addition to the text handling, include making the
thing work satisfactorily with the X.25 PDNs.

   A further modification of Oakland version I, with the 8th bit bug
fixed and some additional code to properly canonicalize text to Multics
standards.

   Oakland version II, which is believed to have a few of the same
problems for MIT use as version I, including difficulties with the X.25
PDNs and mode-setting problems for some other devices.  It also lacks
the extensive transaction-tracing facilities that were added to the
versions above in the process of getting them working.  This version is,
we believe, the version that exists as the official Multics kermit at
Honeywell.

   Calgary/Honeywell "official" kermit prerelease.  This version, which,
unlike the others, has a user interface consistent with other Multics
subsystems and quite similar to the ARPANET user ftp program on Multics,
is the precursor of what will eventually be released.  It does not have
the special text canonicalizing features of the first and second
versions listed above and is arguably not too bright about the handling
of names.  It does binary downloads correctly ONLY in seven-bit mode,
with eighth-bit quoting on; it will not do them when told to use an
eight-bit data path.  This bug is claimed to be fixed in the official
release, which will certainly get here someday.

At MIT, we are ignoring Oakland II, and have stopped work on the MIT
modifications to Oakland I (we have not even bothered to install the
second version mentioned above).  We are concentrating our efforts on
trying to find problems and suggest fixes to Calgary/Honeywell Multics
kermit, which seems to work if you are careful.

If you have further problems, or cannot figure out which version here is
which, the IS Microcomputer Center has official responsibility for
kermit on MIT-Multics and you may want to contact them.

------------------------------

Date: 23 March 1985, 20:32:28 MEZ
From: Bernhard Nebel            +49/30/314-5494      NEBEL    at DB0TUI11
      TU-Berlin
      Sekr. FR 5-8
      Franklinstr. 28/29
      D-1000 Berlin 10
Subject: KERMIT on M6800

Dear Daphne,
I've written a KERMIT for a M6800 running under MDOS (a operating
system written by myself), which is similar to MINIFLEX V1.0 (Technical
Systems Consultant). But anyway, it should be possible to rewrite
the operating system interface. Are you interested to receive the
KERMIT?

- Bernhard

[Ed. - Anyone interested?  Send him mail.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------