[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #21

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (04/26/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu, 25 Apr 1985       Volume 2 : Number 21

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	New Macintosh Kermit Prerelease Available for Testing
	VMS Kermit 3.1.066 Available
	Kermit-11 BITnet Server Available

  MISCELLANY -
	S-1 Mark IIA Kermit
	Commodore-64 KERMIT - a problem
	Kermit for Royal Alphatronic PC?
	Apple II Kermit Support for CCS7710 Serial Card?
	Looking for Kermit for GOULD

Date: Thu 25 Apr 85 14:27:09-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B>
Subject: New Macintosh Kermit Prerelease Available for Testing
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B, Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM

This is to announce a pre-release version of Columbia Macintosh Kermit.  This
program is equivalent to the new C-Kermit in its capabilities, implementing the
full range of encoding, compression, and block check options, and includes a
fairly complete VT102 terminal emulator and a Macintosh-style user interface.

The program is based on C-Kermit, and shares the same C language source for the
protocol-related modules (but the version of these protocol modules is later
than the currently released version of Unix Kermit).  Macintosh Kermit is
presently built using the SUMACC Unix-based cross development environment; a
future release might also allow it to be built using a Macintosh-resident C
language development system.

This pre-release is intended primarily for evaluation at sites familiar with
Kermit.  We are soliciting helpful and constructive comments, suggestions, and
detailed, specific bug reports.  There are some features we haven't put in, but
MAY add in later releases; these are listed just so that everyone won't feel
compelled to suggest them:

. A manual (currently only short help and beware files are included)
. Key mapping, including redefinition/relocation of control and meta keys
. Somewhat more intelligence about Macintosh file attributes & structure
. XON/XOFF
. Server operation (Macintosh acts as server)
. Screen save/rollback (maybe)

The program is currently about as big as a program can get on a 128K Mac (the
SUMACC system does not provide dynamic segment loading).  Some of the missing
features, particularly screen save/rollback and key mapping, could put it over
the edge.

The files are available for anonymous FTP from CU20B as <MACKERMIT>*.*.  The
file CKAAAA.HLP tells what the files are.  The file CKMKER.HLP contains user
documentation (just a little) and installation instructions (most people will
want to simply download the binhex'd MacKermit resource), and CKMKER.BWR lists
the known bugs and limitations.

This prerelease is not really intended for wide distribution.  It is mainly to
get what we've done so far into the hands of those on the net who will be
able to make useful contributions (in the form of bug reports, criticisms, and
suggestions) which will be filtered into the first "real" release of MacKermit
for general consumption.  Please send all such reports to Info-Kermit@CU20B.

------------------------------

Date:     Monday, 22 Apr 85 21:17:41 EST
From:     nbush (Nicholas Bush) @ sitvxb.ccnet
Subject:  VMS Kermit 3.1.066 Available

I have finally put together a copy of VMS Kermit which should be suitable
for release.  This fixes all the bugs I know of (unless I forgot some minor
ones) as well as adding a couple of new features.  Here is a summary
of the changes (also found in VMSV31AN.RNO/MEM):

There have been  a  number  of  new  features  and  fixes  to  VAX/VMS
Kermit-32 3.1.065.

     1.  Send packet buffer size was increased to  allow  for  maximum
         size Kermit packets.  It was previously 4 bytes too short.

     2.  When sending FORTRAN carriage control  files,  if  the  first
         character  is not a valid carriage control character, it will
         be passed along instead of thrown out.

     3.  CONNECT no longer fails in strange ways on DECnet terminals.

     4.  Two (or more) RECEIVE commands in a row now work.

     5.  Kermit-32 now has a TAKE command (also "@").  Kermit-32  also
         performs  an automatic TAKE of VMSKERMIT.INI or whatever file
         is pointed to by the logical name VMSKERMIT.

     6.  LOCAL and REMOTE commands which spawn a subprocess  now  work
         correctly under VMS 4.x.

     7.  Terminal names longer than 7 characters now work  (VTAnnnnn).
         The  limit  for a physical terminal name is now 16 characters
         (I hope DEC doesn't up it anymore).

     8.  VMS 4.x added more bits  to  the  field  where  the  terminal
         parity was.  Ensure we only change the parity.

     9.  STATUS command had the headers  backwards.   Fix  headers  to
         correspond to data values being output.

    10.  SET IBM_MODE now  simply  sets  the  individual  items.   The
         values for IBM mode can be specified at link time by defining
         the global symbols:

         1.  IBM_MODE_CHARACTER  =  character   value   of   handshake
             character

         2.  IBM_MODE_ECHO = 1 for local echo, 2 for no local echo

         3.  IBM_MODE_PARITY = (0 = none), (1 = mark), (2 = even),  (3
             = odd), (4 = space).

         If not specified, Kermit will continue to use DC1, local echo
         and odd parity for IBM_MODE.

    11.  Kermit-32 now has a SET HANDSHAKE  nnn  command  to  set  the
         handshaking  character.   This  is  any  octal  value  or the
         keyword NONE to turn off handshaking.

------------------------------

Date: 24 APR 85 10:58-EST
From:  BRIAN%UOFT02.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Subject: Kermit-11 BITnet Server Available

There is a BITNET Kermit server running on node UOFT02 with username
of KERMSRV. This is intended to facilitate transfer of fixes or mods
to Kermit-11 over Bitnet. It is a very simple-minded server, all  it
can do is return file(s) and directory listings. The system is a VAX
11/785 running VMS 4.1 with jnet.  All file naming  conventions must
follow VMS rules, as in:

VMS requestor:  $ SEN/REM UOFT02 KERMSRV SEND K11CMD.MAC
CMS requestor:  CP SMSG RSCS MSG UOFT02 KERMSRV SEND K11CMD.MAC

Wildcarding is available. No directory names or logical names can be
present in the filename.  No binary files (.sav and .tsk) files  are
available via bitnet.

As always, the Kermit-11 edit history is in K11CMD.MAC.

                                                brian@uoft02.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 85 19:36:02 pst
From: John Bruner <jdb@mordor.ARPA>
Subject: S-1 Mark IIA Kermit

Here at the S-1 Project at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
we are doing supercomputer research.  We have completed our
current generation machine, the S-1 Mark IIA and we recently
brought up multiuser UNIX on it.

The S-1 talks to the outside world through attached I/O processors.
At the present time there are no network connections and we haven't
finished debugging the magnetic tape.  We were forced to use a very
contorted path to transfer files to the S-1 from our VAXes.

Recently, however, we were successful in bringing up a very
simple KERMIT on a serial line.  Now we transfer source files in
and out via a 9600 baud link to our VAX.

The S-1 Mark IIA is probably the largest machine so far to run
KERMIT, and almost certainly is the largest machine which depends
upon KERMIT for access to the outside world.  (The S-1 Mark IIA
has an 80ns cycle time, a very complex instruction set, and
128 megabytes of main memory.)

The availability of KERMIT made life much nicer for us as we
finished our UNIX port.  While I anticipate that UUCP will supplant
KERMIT, I wanted you to know how much we appreciated having it.
(Besides, I thought you might find it amusing that such a large
machine benefitted greatly from it.)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Apr 85 14:48 +0100
From: Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Commodore-64 KERMIT - a problem

I have been testing Commodore-64 KERMIT version 1.3 with mixed
success. Two problems ocurred:

(a) 1200 baud did not work for file transfer (but worked OK in
CONNECT mode).

(b) After having started Commodore-64 KERMIT, the SEND command
did not work. If however, I first made a GET command, then
SEND did work after that.

My test were made against a computer with CP/M-86 KERMIT.

[Ed. - Your message has been relayed to the author, who is working on a
 new release of the program.]

------------------------------

From: pur-ee!pur-phy!duncan!mike@Berkeley
Date: Thu Apr 18 15:44:19 1985
Subject: Kermit for Royal Alphatronic PC?

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of Kermit for the Royal PC?
I would really appreciate any info.
					Mike

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 1985 10:08:22 EST (Monday)
From: John Shaver STEEP-TM-AC 879-7602 <jshaver@apg-3>
Subject: Apple II Kermit Support for CCS7710 Serial Card?

Is there a Kermit for the Apple CCS7710 serial card?  If not is there
an assembly source for another similar source which might be adapted?

------------------------------

Date: Mon 22 Apr 85 17:16:14-EST
From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.ARPA>

The CCS7710 card should be supported in the next release, which is getting
near. We hope to add a number of cards in this one.
								peter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 85 14:40:50 EST
From: Pamela J. Saia <psaia@BBNCCC.ARPA>
Subject: Looking for Kermit for GOULD

	I am looking for KERMIT which runs on a
	GOULD Concept 32/27 computer  operating
	system:mpx  rev 3.2A

	Prefer Fortran 77 but any information would
	be appreciated.

	Please respond to this address or call
	Gary Gustafson at (617)861-4178  (Hanscom Airbase)

	Thank you

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------