[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #23

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (05/04/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Fri,  3 May 1985       Volume 2 : Number 23

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	New Minor Release of DEC-20 Kermit

  MACINTOSH KERMIT -
	Mac Kermit bomb
	New Mackermit problem
	MacKermit V0.6(4) Comments
	MacKermit and Disk Default

  C-KERMIT -
	C-Kermit for Amdahl UTS?
	C-Kermit under Xenix? (Several Messages)
	C-Kermit with Compressed Files
	Bug in C-Kermit

  MS-DOS KERMIT -
	Kermit 2.27/Rainbow MS-DOS 2.11
	Data General D200 Terminal Emulation for IBM-PC Kermit?
	KERMIT for TI-PRO with TI Internal Modem?

  MISCELLANY -
	To Ship Files up to a Cray

Date: Thu 2 May 85 14:31:52-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: New minor release of DEC-20 Kermit
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA

This is to announce a minor new release of DEC-20 Kermit, version 4.2(256),
which fixes several small problems:

. Kermit-20 would ACK an EOF packet even if it couldn't close the incoming
  file.
. Remote directory commands with no arguments to Kermit-20 server sometimes
  crashed Kermit-20.
. I/O errors (e.g. quota exceeded) while writing debug log file would crash
  Kermit-20 .
. Incoming filenames that started with dot could not be reasonable renamed
  by Kermit-20.
. The "push" command message was misleading if "push" command issued from
  prompt level.
. The "server" command message was misleading if Kermit-20 in local mode.

The source file is in KER:20KERMIT.MAC, the binary in KB:20KERMIT.EXE, and a
list of known bugs and restrictions for this version in KER:20KERMIT.BWR, all
available from CU20B via anonymous FTP.  Other files (documentation, etc) have
not changed.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 1 May 85 01:16:37-PDT
From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: Mac Kermit bomb

I have a Mac Kermit configuration file in which all I've done is set
the speed to 1200 baud.  I can start Kermit without trouble by double
clicking on that file.  If, however, I duplicate the file with the
Macintosh clover-D command and then try double clicking the copy to
start Kermit, I get a system error, ID=03.  This is repeatable.

[Ed. - The problem was that SUMACC had an erroneous definition.  A
workaround has been installed in the current release, 0.6(5), and the
problem reported to the SUMACC folks.]

I am also having difficulty convincing a VM/CMS Kermit to talk to this
one but that is probably my own fault for not being comfortable on the
IBM machine.  I can't get anything at all to happen.  We speak to the
IBM 4381 thorugh an "IBM 7171 ASCII Device Control Unit."  What should
the proper settings be on both ends?  What settings correspond to the
"IBM" setting mentioned in the Kermit User's Manual?

[Ed. - We use Mac Kermit to talk to our VM/CMS Kermit all the time.
HOWEVER...  we're not going through a 7171 (equivalent to a Series/1 with
the Yale IUP).  The reason you can't transfer files through it is that the
7171 is merrily converting your packets into the ASCII equivalent of 3270
screen commands.  The solution: wait until version 2.00 of VM/CMS Kermit
comes out (next week, I hope), which will include code to communicate
through front ends like this.]

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 1 May 85 08:47 CDT
From:     Stewart_French <french%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject:  New Mackermit problem

I am attempting to use the New Mackermit and am having an interesting problem.

I have the following setup that I use to communicate with our VAX/VMS system.
I have Kermit version 3.0.052 for VAX/VMS.

[Ed. - Diagram omitted.]

The Novation talks to the Mac at 8-bit no parity, then converts it to
7-bit odd parity to talk with the LAN  (Novation command "%F 2" converts
to 7-bit odd parity) over the phone lines.
The novation intercepts '%' characters, the LAN intercepts '~' characters.
Both can be changed.

I want to transfer simple ascii text files (at least for now).  The old
MacKermit worked just fine when I made the attention characters CONTROL-G
for the novation.  I did not have to change the LAN attemtion character '~'.
The new MacKermit will not talk at all through this set up.
It immediately attempts retransmissions until it fails.

Can you help me??

-Stewart French
 french%ti-eg@csnet-relay

[Ed. - The problem is that the new Mac Kermit does data compression using
tilde ('~') as the lead-in character for a compressed sequence.  If the
old Kermit worked at all, it was only because your data never happened to
contain a '~' character.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85  9:31:32 EDT
From: Dave Swindell <dswindel@bbn-labs-b>
Subject: MacKermit V0.6(4) Comments

I just finished installing MacKermit V0.6 on a thin Mac and thought I
would pass on a few comments.  All of the major commands I tried, such
as SEND FILE, RECEIVE FILE, GET FILE, and the REMOTE commands worked
as advertised.  I was a little supprised to see that I had to open a
special window on the MAC in order to see the output from the remote
servers (I tried MacKermit with a Tops-10 Kermit as well as CKermit).
Might it be better to offer distinct 'CONNECT' and 'CLOSE Connection'
menu items on the Mac?  This would make the program more similar to
its counterparts on other microprocessors.

[Ed. - You're right about the remote command window -- it should pop up
automatically for remote commands that cause text to be sent back.
Mac Kermit is connected by default mainly because there's no reason not
to be, and this seems more in keeping with the Macintosh style.]

The VT102 (?) terminal emulation worked well, for the most part.
MacKermit correctly processed the ANSI codes for screen erase, cursor
positioning, video attributes, and scroll region select.  I was not
able to generate any of the special line drawing characters which are
present on a VT1xx terminal equiped with AVO (advanced video option).
Will these characters be supported in the final release??

[Ed. - Mac Kermit uses an ordinary system fixed-width font for terminal
emulation; no VT100 drawing characters, nor double-width/height equivalents
are available in that font, and won't be added to Kermit in the forseeable
future because of space restrictions.]

As a final comment, I noticed that when I used the RECEIVE FILE
command, I could not specify a new file name for the received data, as
is possible with Kermit-65 and MS-Kermit.  You are given this option
when you GET files from a remote server.  I think that the ability to
specify a new name for received files is important and hope that the
this feature will be added to the 'real' release of MacKermit.

[Ed. - Agreed; this will be in a future release.]

All in all, I was very pleased with the New MacKermit.  I was able to
transfer resource and data files with no problems.  Thanks for all of
the hard work!

Dave Swindell
BBN Labs

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 May 85 10:34:14-PDT
From: Doug Brutlag <brutlag@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: MACKERMIT AND DISK DEFAULT

	I am still having difficulties with MacKermit 0.64 not receiving
files onto the default disk.  When you use GET.. from a server at the
other end, MacKermit always saves all the files on the disk from which
Kermit was launched.  If you change the DEFAULT disk from internal to
external using DISKINFO disk utility MacKermit still stores files on the
internal disk.  Most other Mac software respects the setting of Default
disk and does all of its file i/o to the default disk.

	I tried your suggestion of GETing files and specifying the disk
name in the AS box like this:  GET *.INIT AS EXT-DISK:*.INIT.  MacKermit
stored the first file on the EXT-DISK but with the filename *.INIT (!).
Then it stored all subsequent files with there normal file names on the
internal disk.  Maybe I should have just specified EXT-DISK: with no
filename but it sure would be nice if MacKermit would save to the
default disk like WORD, FILE, MacWrite, MacDraw etc...

Doug Brutlag

PS.  I noticed that the Command-. abort was still not documented in the
file-transfer progress box, nor did the number of Kilobytes register
when GETing files from a server.

[Ed. - We're working on new send/receive dialog boxes, but they won't be
ready for a while.]

------------------------------

Date:  2 May 1985, 18:38 EDT
FROM:  ACDMAYER%UOGUELPH.BITNET@WISCVM
Subject: C-Kermit for Amdahl UTS?

    What is the state of the UTS version of C-Kermit (4.2)?  If it is
    going to be a while before it's released, maybe I will do the conversion
    myself.  (At least as best as UTS will allow).

  (ALASTAIR MAYER  <ACDMAYER@UOGUELPH.BITNET>)

[Ed. - We have UTS version 2.4 at Columbia, but we're about to retire it
in favor of their new system V version.  I gather that everyone else will
be doing the same, since Amdahl is "desupporting" the old one after six
months, and it doesn't cost much (at least to universities) to upgrade.
Since they seem to be shipping the new one now, it would be a waste to
adapt C-Kermit to the old one.  If you want to adapt C-Kermit to the old
UTS, be my guest.  But wait until the new C-Kermit comes out (version 4C,
probably next week).]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 85 08:09:37 pdt
From: Bob Rendler <ren@lbl-ux4>
Subject: C-Kermit under Xenix?

Does anyone have Ckermit running on an IBM PC/AT under Xenix?  Following
the instructions in the makefile we did a "make xenix" to make kermit on
the PC.  We are having problems with 'connect'.  When the carriage-return
is typed to get the prompt to log into the remote we get "Communications
Line Failure".  We are using the same line for MSkermit and do not
experience this problem.  Thank you.

Bob Rendler

[Ed. - See below.]

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 29 April 1985  14:47-MDT
From: Jim Scardelis <ihnp4!timeinc!wcom!frodo@Ucb-Vax>

Has anyone gotten C-kermit successfully running under Xenix 3.0?
I have given up trying to get it to run on an IBM PC/AT Xenix system...

					Jim Scardelis

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 May 85 09:32:57-PDT
From: Herm Fischer <HFISCHER@USC-ECLB.ARPA>
Subject: C Kermit and Xenix for the IBM PC/AT

C Kermit does indeed run on the IBM PC/AT Xenix.  You should have no
problem if you use "make xenix" to make it.  The IBM PC/AT has
been one of the prime development machines for the recent versions
of C Kermit, and thus your query surprises me.

If you totally fail to be able to get C Kermit up, the only suggestion I
could make is to obtain a binary copy directly from another PC/AT which is
using it.  It has been tested on "stock AT's", "xtal-speedup AT's",
modems, modems using the old serial cards, and LANs with flow control.

  Herm Fischer

[Ed. - Versions prior to 4.2 lacked the data-carrier-detect/CLOCAL code
that overcomes the most commonly reported problems.  The next release,
version 4C, will have additional improvements in this area.]

------------------------------

From: trwrb!trwspp!spp3!kurisaki@Berkeley (Lance R. Kurisaki)
Date: Fri, 3 May 85 08:00:46 pdt
Subject: C-Kermit with Compressed Files

In volume 2 number 4 of Info-Kermit, James Woods tells us how we can use
the kermit to transfer compressed files, and increasing the effective
transfer rate.

I have been trying to use kermit in the way described and have been having
some problems.  When I receive a file "passively" with the "-k" option,
kermit seems to be adding a leading CR, so that when this is piped to
compress, it comes back with "not in compressed format".  This happens
even on text files.

Has this behavior been noticed by others, or am I doing something wrong
here?

By the way, I'm using 4.2 C-Kermit to transfer files between two Pyramid
90x's under the 4.2bsd universe.

				Lance Kurisaki
				{ucbvax|decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!kurisaki

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85 21:16:29 edt
From: xp!tony@nyu-cmcl2 (Tony Movshon)
Subject: Bug in C-Kermit

This one may be known, but it should be fixed. A user under the
misapprehension that it is necessary to "set line" to his home tty (i.e.
if you are already on /dev/tty05, "set line /dev/tty05") will be
permitted to do this. He may also "set baud" to something other than the
current line rate. At that point, "connect" connects you to your own
terminal, at a different baud rate. !>poof<!

Fix: C-Kermit should trap the case when the argument to a "set line" command
is the same as /dev/tty (this can be done by checking the device numbers).

Tony

[Ed. - It's a bug all right, but it's not obvious to me how to determine
that /dev/tty is the same device as /dev/tty05 (in a way that will work on
most or all Unix systems).  If anybody knows, let me in on it.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 85 13:37:33 edt
From: xp!tony@nyu-cmcl2 (Tony Movshon)
Subject: Kermit 2.27/MS-DOS 2.11

A quick note about the problem with MS-Kermit V2.27 and DOS 2.11 on the
Rainbow that came up in the Info-Kermit newsletter, vol. 2 no. 22. I have
been using this setup happily for several months without problems, both
using hard-wired and modem lines. I suspect that you are correct in
suspecting the DTR control stuff, since I use my modems with DTR detection
disabled (DTR control has been a problem on the Rainbows all along, so I
long ago just decided to bag it).

Recommendation: don't try to use DTR on the Rainbow at all. Then everything
will work fine.

A second beware: DOS 2.11 is fussier than 2.05 about the way in which
resident utilities load themselves -- the problem may not be directly
related to Kermit, but to some other utility interfering with things.
Be sure to check out all resident utilities that used to work with 2.05
specifically for 2.11.

Tony

------------------------------

Date: 3 May 85 18:15:29 EDT
From: RL0Q@CMU-CC-TD
Subject: Data General D200 Terminal Emulation for IBM-PC kermit

I would like to connect to a Data General MV/4000 using my IBM-PC as a
terminal.  Is there any ms-dos version, out there in kermit land, that
would allow my PC to emulate a D200 terminal instead of a Heath-19?

                                                Rich Lunak

[Ed. - I'm sure there are Dasher emulators out there in PC land.  The
trick is not to put them in Kermit -- where will it end, after all? -- but
to write them as loadable console drivers (like ANSI.SYS), which can be
run in conjunction with Kermit (SET HEATH OFF).  We expect (hope) to see a
high quality VT102 driver in this vein pretty soon, lawyers willing.]

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 3 May 85 15:59 CDT
From:     Richard_Berke <rjbm%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject:  KERMIT for TI-PRO with TI Internal Modem?

I have looked on the DEC-Marlboro system CURRENT.DOC file, but I don't
find a TI-PRO version of KERMIT for the TI-INTERNAL
modem.  Joe Smith's version 2.27 is for the normal sync/async card,
and using an external modem.

If you know of any version for the TI internal modem, please let me know.
If there is no official notice of a version, can you include my query
in a future issue of KERMIT DIGEST?

Also... I have tried Joe Smith's TI-PRO v.2.27 with Tek4010 emulation.
When I run a SAS job on our IBM4341, specifying a device type of TEK4010,
I get rows of horizontal bar characters across the top of the screen in
addition to my graphics, and if the SAS job results in normal text characters
as part of the output (such as labels on a pie chart), the text gets printed
on the screen right after the two rows of horizontal bars.  It appears that
real cursor positioning, and intended cursor position requests are not
working so good.

[Ed. - I trust you told the PC that you were talking to an IBM system,
using "do ibm" or the appropriate "set" commands.]

I understand that Joe Smith has left CSM.  Is anyone else aware of the
problem I have described?  How can a fix be pursued?

(I am not familiar with internals of the KERMIT programs.  I just enjoy
its functionality in my work with mixed computer systems at TI.)

Richard Berke
Texas Instruments
Equipment Group
PO Box 405   MS 3454
Lewisville, Texas 75067

(214) 462-5918

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 85 13:48:56 mdt
From: djw@LANL.ARPA (David Wade)
Subject: To Ship Files up to a Cray

I have been getting a lot of long distance phone calls from people trying to
talk to the crays with kermit.  They don't have our mskermit.ini file to
make a few simple changes to make the cray kermit work better.

Therefore, here it is:

set baud 1200
set parity even
define cray set end 23, set send padch 26, set send padding 1

This makes a few adjustments to the "end, padch, & padding" characters.
If you adjust your kermits to:

set the "end of packet" character to ^W (Control W)  i.e. 23
set the "padding" character to ^Z (Control Z) i.e. 26
set the number of padding characters to 1

These changes will allow you to talk with the Cray kermits directly.

There is a special case at Los Alamos that applies to people coming in
over arpanet.  The front end machine runs an abbreviated Unix(tm) system
and that includes the Unix kermit.  Use that one to get your files to
Los Alamos if you are on Arpa.  Then convert the files to "Standard
Text format" and "Move" them to the Cray of your choice.

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------