[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #26

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (05/14/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Mon, 13 May 1985       Volume 2 : Number 26

Departments:

  C-KERMIT 4C
	Bug in New Macintosh C-Kermit
	C-Kermit 4C Bugs

  DIALUP DISTRIBUTION
	Kermit Distribution Available via Kermit Server
	Change Of Kermit-11 Update Procedure

  MISCELLANY -
	Computer Vision Kermit?

Date: Fri 10 May 85 21:38:53-EDT
From: Bill Schilit <SY.BILL@CU20C>
Subject: Bug in New Macintosh C-Kermit
To: sy.fdc@CU20C

I sent a file from the Mac, I started a new transaction and emergency-
exited with Command-.; C kermit deleted my file.

[Ed. - Oops, sorry.  This bug effects Mac Kermit only, even though the guilty
code appears in the common protocol module -- only the Mac can cancel a
transaction before the first data packet has been sent.  The emergency exit
code should not delete any files.  The code is now fixed, see below.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 May 85 15:46:35 pdt
From: tweten@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Dave Tweten)
Subject: C-Kermit 4C bugs

I got a copy of C-Kermit 4C, Friday evening, May 10.  I built it on both
our 4.2 bsd Vax and on one of our System V Vaxes.  I found three new
problems, and noticed that a fourth problem I've been trying to find in
C-Kermit 4.2 is still present, though in a slightly changed form.  They
follow, in no particular order.

1.   When getting a binary file, if the local kermit is the 4C bsd
     version, all will go well except that at the end, "Z [discarded]"
     will appear.

[Ed. - This problem was introduced by adding code to zchout() to check
when putc returns an error code -- the old char/int/sign-extension mixup.]

2.   In server mode, remote commands issued by C-Kermit cause version 4C
     to hang the transfer with a continuous stream of NAKs.  The remote
     commands I tried were "rem dir" and "rem host ls -l".  The tests
     below were conducted with "rem dir".  I tested the following
     combinations:

[Ed. - This problem was introduced by adding code at the last minute to make
the Macintosh version work better and then assuming it still worked on Unix.]

3.   C-Kermit 4C Racal-Vadic modem support doesn't work with our
     Racal-Vadic modem on the System V machine.  The bsd machine's modem
     line has been munged by uucp and needs superuser service, so I
     can't test that over the weekend.  The gross behavior is the same
     behavior I observed with an early version of the dialer code, which
     was sent to me by Herm Fisher: it always times out.

     With Herm's code running on our bsd machine, I inserted prints to
     stderr, and observed that the conversation with the modem went as
     expected, until the actual dialing began (modem says "DIALING:  "),
     at which point the modem seemed to go to sleep.  My version of
     Racal-Vadic support (inserted into version 4.2) works.  As I told
     Herm, by reading his code, I couldn't see why his shouldn't work.
     It did use the input buffer flushing routine (which was a no-op
     under 4.2's Vax bsd version) whereas my code does reads, but I
     modified the 4.2 buffer flushing routine to actually do something,
     and that didn't seem to help.

[Ed. - Herm's away for the month, and I don't have a Racal-Vadic modem to
fool with.  If you or anyone can offer code that works, please send it in!]

4.   Sending a binary file to C-Kermit often doesn't work. This isn't
     new with version 4C.  I've been trying to track it down in version
     4.2.  Though it isn't entirely new, as you can see below, the
     variety of behavior has become richer.

[Ed. - Same problem with zchout().]

That's the C-Kermit bug picture as I see it.  Unfortunately, I won't be
able to pursue them further, in the immediate future.  Other deadlines
approach, you understand.  For the time being, I think we'll continue
using version 4.2.  It has fewer bugs which impact us.

[Ed. - Thanks for the quick report.  We've fixed (I think) all but the
Racal-Vadic modem support problem.  The new files are in <CKERMIT> as
CKCFN*.C, CKUFIO.C, CKVFIO.C, CKMFIO.C, CKCPRO.W, CKCKER.H, CKCMAI.C, and
CKMKER.HQX (and .RSRC) available from CU20B via anonymous FTP.  Some
reorganization was required to fix bug number 2, and it has not been tested
in the VMS version.  Again, everyone who's interested please take these
files away and try them out and report back whether they work on all the
various systems and machines.  Once the major kinks are out, C-Kermit v4C
can be added to the normal distribution -- tapes, okstate (see below), etc.]

------------------------------

Subject: Kermit Distribution Available via Kermit Server
Date: 10 May 85 12:03:41 CDT (Fri)
From: Mark Vasoll <vasoll%okstate.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

	We have set up a specialized version of the C-Kermit server that
will allow access *only* to the Kermit Distribution area on our system.
This service will be sharing the phone line with the UUCP account, so the
line will probably be busy quite a bit.

	Anyway, access to the Kermit Distribution area is now available
using the following dialing/login information:

              UUCP                                  KERMIT SERVER

     Phone:   (405) 624-6953                 Phone:   (405) 624-6953
Login name:   uucpker                   Login name:   kermsrv
  Password:   thefrog                     Password:   piggy

The UUCP distribution will function as before.  The KERMIT SERVER login
will drop you right into a conversation with the server.  The best place
to start after logging on is "REMOTE HELP", followed closely by "REMOTE DIR".

Mark

------------------------------

Date: 13 MAY 85 11:12-EST
From:  BRIAN%UOFT02.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
To:  info-kermit@cu20b
Subject: CHANGE OF KERMIT-11 UPDATE PROCEDURE

This to announce that Kermit-11 updates should now be obtained from  the
University  of  Toledo's  VAX  11/785 instead of the PDP 11/70, which is
being removed from service. The dialup  number  for  the  VAX  is  (419)
537-4411.  The  front  end is a Dual PACX 4, which will autobaud on a CR
and then prompt for 'Service Class ', which is VX785A. The VMS  username
is  KERMIT  with  a password of KERMIT. All source files are in KER: and
Kermit-11 binaries are in KERBIN:. Please note that  the  VMS  Kermit-32
server  should  be  set to FILE TYPE FIXED in order to transfer any .SAV
or .TSK files.  This also means that a Kermit-11 getting  files from the
VMS server should have SET FIL BIN set for task and save images.

                                                brian nelson
                                                brian@uoft02.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 9 May 85 21:58 CDT
From:  "David S. Cargo" <Cargo@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Computer Vision

Does anybody out there have a version of Kermit working for Computer
Vision computer aided design systems?

David S.  Cargo (Cargo@HI-Multics)

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------