[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #31

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (05/31/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu, 30 May 1985       Volume 2 : Number 31

Departments:

  C-KERMIT 4C -
	C-Kermit Parity
	More Problems on Kermit 4C?
	System V C-Kermit 4C Works
	System V 4C C-Kermit Racal-Vadic Control Fixed!
	C-kermit on 4.1bsd

  MISCELLANY -
	Kermit for Atari ST
	TRS-80 III Kermit Users Wanted
	PC/AT Serial Adaptor problems
	CP4KERMIT on Superbrain

From: <hplabs!amdahl!drivax!alan@Berkeley>
Date: Tue, 28 May 85 22:48:33 PDT
Subject: C-Kermit Parity

I hope that this is the right place to send this. I am using C-Kermit 4.2,
and I noticed that it does not set the parity on the com. line when a set
parity even/odd/mark/space command is issued.  This is a problem for me
because our VAX (System V) defaults differently than the other machines here
(iNTEL 310 w/System V, VME/10 w/System V).

Thanks,
Alan Fargusson.
DIGITAL RESEARCH INC.
60 GARDEN COURT
BOX DRI
MONTEREY, CA. 93942

[Ed. - C-Kermit certainly makes every attempt to transmit the desired
parity.  The question is whether the System V implementation sets the tty up
in an appropriate mode to allow the C-Kermit software to do this.  Some
changes have been made in this area since release 4.2 -- you may find that
release 4C does it right.  I hope so.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon May 27 1985 10:57:27
From: Marco Papa <papa%usc-cse.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: More Problems on Kermit 4C?

I am sorry to say, but the problem reported by Yigal Arens on Kermit 4C
about timeouts on large files under System V is present also in the Berkeley
version.  I run the following test: I tried to transfer the new ckuker.mss
(34 TOPS-20 Pages) from ECLC (TOPS-20) to uscvax (Berkeley-UNIX 4.2).
Everything went well until after about 160-200 dots(.) were on the screen.
Then suddenly a sequence of T%T%T%T%T%T%T% started coming. Only way to get
out was to abort the batch transfer.  The UNIX kermit was saying it had
timed out, and the TOPS-20 kermit was back to the KERMIT-20 prompt. I tried
this twice with the same result.  Both machines were totally unloaded (I was
the ONLY user on TOPS-20 and there were 5 other users on the VAX).  This
seems to be a bug of the new 4C version of Kermit, not present in the
preceding 4.2 version (which I used to transfer all 4C files between the
above mentioned machines).

------------------------------

Date: Tue 28 May 85 13:19:16-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: Re: More Problems on Kermit 4C?
To: papa%usc-cse.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

Were you running the very latest release, 4C(049), circa 8:00pm EST Monday?
I just used it to transfer ckuker.mss from the DEC-20 to a 4.2bsd system and
didn't get a single timeout.  Then I did it again.  Then, just to make sure
this wasn't a fluke, I sent my mail.txt file -- 205 DEC-20 pages, or 514453
characters, or 502.4K, or half a megabyte (that's about a week's worth of
mail for me).  There were 70 jobs on the 2060, the 15 minute load average
was about 6.00; there were 8 users on the VAX-11/750, load below 1.0.  The
two systems are connected by a direct line between the DH11 on the DEC-20
and a DMF32 on the VAX, running at 9600 baud.  The transfer took about 38
minutes; there were 6 timeouts -- one burst of three (%T%T%T), one of two,
and one single timeout.

I don't think a file this big could be transferred if there were some
intrinsic flaw in the program.  Maybe you're running a slightly older
version, and were hit by a bug that has since been fixed.  More likely, it's
just something in 4.2bsd.  We have seen terminals hang quite often on our
4.2bsd systems (the longer the system is up, the more it happens), and
recently installed a patch (from Usenix?) to the DMF driver that may have
alleviated the situation somewhat.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 85 21:46:43 pdt
From: tweten@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Dave Tweten)
Subject: System V C-Kermit 4C Works

Good news!  The latest version has cleared up the problem with remote
commands for System V C-Kermit.  I tested them all and they now all
work.  Unfortunately, the dialer problems are still there for System V
and Racal-Vadic modems, but progress is being made!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 85 15:49:27 pdt
From: tweten@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Dave Tweten)
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA
Subject: System V 4C C-Kermit Racal-Vadic Control Fixed!

I have found a fix for the System V Racal-Vadic modem problem.  The problem
was that tthang was dropping DTR for the modem AND LEAVING IT LOW.  After I
examined the code for ttopen, tthang, and ttpkt, I concluded that if ttopen
needed the "close(open( . . ." magic, tthang probably did too.  The magic is
there, but it is surrounded by "#ifdef PCIX".  I removed the "#ifdef PCIX",
and the problem went away!

[Ed. - Good news!  Change installed.]

By the way, while playing with C-Kermit 4C, I noticed that the bsd version
is compiled without optimization.  I tried compiling it with optimization,
and it seems to work well, while generating a somewhat smaller executible
file.  Why no "-O" for bsd?

[Ed. - You're free to add -O if you want; I'd rather distribute without it
so there's one less thing to blame when things break.]

------------------------------

Date:           Tue, 28 May 85 10:06:38 PDT
From:           Dave Flamm <flamm@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
Subject:        C-kermit on 4.1bsd

The latest version of C-kermit still won't "make" successfully on our 4.1
bsd.  It still looks for "time.h" without success.  It would seem that
whatever means is used for detecting 4.1 versus 4.2 is not foolproof?

> I think I see the problem.  It's in ckutio.c...  all the nested #ifndefs
> around "#include <sys/time.h>" need an additional #ifndef BSD41...#endif.
> Try that and let me know if everything else is ok for 4.1bsd.  Thanks!

(later...)

That seems to have done it.  Thank you.

Dave

[Ed. - It looks now as if 4C pretty much works as advertised on all systems
except 2.9bsd.  The next issue of Info-Kermit will announce it "for real".]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 28 May 85 13:52:27-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit for Atari ST
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA

I got a call from someone in Canada who said that Atari is distributing what
appears to be the old Unix Kermit (command line operation only) in the
developer kit for the new ST computer system, source not included.  The caller
wanted to know why it wouldn't transfer binary files in "image mode" -- it
seems it stops sending as soon as it hits a control-Z in the file.  Sounds
like the file system must be in the CP/M style.  It's nice that Atari is
promulgating Kermit, but if they also included the source then maybe some of
their developers could fix the bugs, or even adapt the new C-Kermit...

------------------------------

Date: Tue 28 May 85 13:55:52-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: TRS-80 III Kermit Users Wanted

John A Ball of the Northeast Radio Observatory Corporation, Haystack
Observatory, Westford MA 01866, 617-692-4764, would like to make contact
with users of TRS-80 Model III TRSDOS Kermit.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 85 09:35:36 PDT
From: Bruce_A._Cowan%SFUG-MTS%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA,    Info-Kermit@CU20B.ARPA
Subject: PC/AT Serial Adaptor problems

There is a lot of misinformation going around about the serial ports on a
PC/AT and their compatibility with the PC. The 16450 chip (and 8250A chip
from National Semiconductor) has quite a few bug fixes compared to the 8250
and 8250B. One of those bug fixes breaks many interrupt-driven PC
communications programs.  The typical result is missing characters at speeds
of 1200 bps and above.

Now, the bug is that the 8250 pulses (low) its interrupt line when the
condition causing the interrupt is satisified even if there is another
interrupt condition pending. NatSemi thought that action was incorrect so
they fixed it in the 8250A and 16450 - for those chips the interrupt line
will stay high until ALL pending enabled interrupts are satisfied.

The problem this causes with PC communications programs is that many of them
assume the interrupt handler will get entered for every interrupt
individually. This happened because the pulsing interrupt line would make
the PC's 8259 interrupt controller think there was a new interrupt pending,
so it would present it to the CPU chip immediately upon receiving the EOI
(end of interrupt) for the previous interrupt. With the interrupt line not
pulsing on the new chips, the 8259 doesn't think there is a new interrupt
pending even though the 16450's interrupt line remains high. That is because
the 8259 is in edge-triggered mode.

Now, the solution is to poll either the 8250 status register or the
interrupt identification register before exiting from the interrupt handler.
For instance, the following logic works for the receiver data ready
interrupt:

    Interrupt handler:
        save whatever is necessary
        while status register says data ready
           process data
        whend
        send EOI to 8259
        restore whatever was saved
        exit

You might now be saying "But I only enable received data interrupts so there
can never be more than one interrupt pending at a time so I don't need to
worry about this." Well, I thought so too, but the situation is that if the
next received character is ready to be transferred to the receiver buffer
register by the time the CPU reads the receiver buffer register, then the
receiver data ready interrupt will remain pending. Hence you need logic like
the above.  (I've tried this and it does solve the problem.)

There are other bug fixes in the 8250A/16450 which can cause troubles, but
they are much more obscure and much less likely.  They have to do with
transmitter interrupts but I can't recall the details right now and I don't
have my copy of the NatSemi errata sheet handy to refer to.

I hope this helps all you people out there. For those who seem to think all
these problems are caused by the IBM Professional Graphics Controller,
please note that while it may cause some, it is not the ONLY cause, as
should be evident from the above description.

------------------------------

Date:  29 May 1985 08:03:15 IST (GMT+2)
To:  SY.FDC@CU20B.CCNET
From: PHR00JG@TECHNION.BITNET
Subject: CP4KERMIT on Superbrain

Hello Frank !

I was delighted with Version 4 which together with Version 2 under CMS makes
the use of KERMIT even more efficient than it was before.  Also I was very
happy to find a version tuned to my Lobo MAX-80, although I had been happy
before with the CPM-Plus version.  The availability of server mode is great,
and I take this occasion to thank you again.

The version running on Superbrain does not generate a break.  I did not look
into the source code to see why, but I thought that the following listing of
a tiny dumb terminal program I have written here may help clear out the
problem, IF there is a problem (perhaps I missed something).

                                            Regards \ Jacques

[Ed. - Jacques' code forwarded to Charles Carvalho for inclusion in the next
release of CP/M-80 Kermit.  No estimate when it will appear.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------