[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V2 #34

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (06/11/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Mon, 10 Jun 1985       Volume 2 : Number 34

               MS-DOS Kermit Version 2.28 Now Available
               Need Pointer to Victor 9000 Kermit Disk
                       Kermit-MS under Topview?

Date: Mon 10 Jun 85 17:22:15-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit Version 2.28 Now Available
To: Info-Kermit@CU20B, Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB

This is to announce Version 2.28 of MS-DOS Kermit.  MS-DOS Kermit provides
terminal emulation and Kermit protocol file transfer for the following
systems:

. IBM PC, PC/XT, PC/AT and compatibles
. IBM PCjr (RS232 port only)
. DEC Rainbow Series
. Hewlett-Packard 150
. Hewlett-Packard 110
. NEC APC
. Sanyo MBC
. Texas Instruments Professional
. Wang PC
. Heath/Zenith 100
. Generic MS-DOS

The program has been tested at Columbia on the IBM PC, XT, and AT, the DEC
Rainbow, and the HP-150.  Since the system-dependent modules were not noticably
altered, it is expected that it will work on the other systems too -- but
confirmation (to Info-Kermit@CU20B) would be appreciated.

The changes are in several major areas:

1. Bug fixes (many)
2. Size -- new version is much smaller on disk, at the cost of DOS 1.x support.
3. New commands - CWD, TYPE, VERSION
4. Better unique-filename manufacturing algorithm.
5. Additional Heath-19 terminal emulation features and controls.

The files are in KER:MS*.* on CU20B, available to Internet via anonymous FTP:

KER:MS228.UPD  -- List of specific changes from 2.27 to 2.28
KER:MSAAAA.HLP -- List of all the MS*.* files, with brief explanations
KER:MS*.BOO    -- .BOO-format programs for downloading (see documentation)
KER:MSKERM.DOC -- New Kermit User Guide manual chapter for V2.28
KER:MSKERM.BWR -- "Beware File" (list of known bugs & limitations)
KB:MS*.EXE     -- 8-bit binary format Kermit programs for the various systems

The files will also appear at the other Kermit distribution points within
a week or two (BITnet KERMSRV, okstate, etc) and will be submitted to PC SIG
for the benefit of those who want to order MS-DOS Kermit on floppy disk.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 85 14:25:52 cdt
From: ihnp4!shell!buck%Berkeley@columbia.arpa (Lester Buck)
Subject: Need Pointer to Victor 9000 Kermit Disk

Could you direct me to a source for a version of kermit that runs on a Victor
9000 that is actually on a Victor 9000 format disk?  I would gladly pay some
$$$ to anyone and I am not in a terrific hurry (next three or four weeks).  I
would like to avoid downloading the versions I have on the distribution tapes.
I note that the Victor versions have changed around alot from the distribution
tape last August to the tape this March - no more vic*.* files for msdos, but a
bunch of new ones called sir*.* which I guess are identical (?).

Thanks for any pointers,

A. Lester Buck @ Shell Development Co.
{ihnp4, pur-ee, ut-sally}!shell!buck

[Ed. - There were actually several different Victor/Sirius Kermit
implementations, based on various releases of Version 1.x IBM PC Kermit.
We're only distributing the latest one.  Can anyone help him out?]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 10 Jun 85 13:28:03-PDT
From: Jim Celoni S.J. <Celoni@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit-MS under Topview?

What are the correct program parameters to give Topview so that Kermit-MS 2.27
runs best under it?  Is there a .pif file for Kermit?  If Kermit can transfer
files in the background and not mess up the screen, that would be great...

Thanks.  +j

[Ed. - Has anybody really gone through the bother of doing this?  If you have,
please feel free to contribute your work to Info-Kermit!]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------