[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V3 #6

info-kermit@ucbvax.ARPA (07/22/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>

Info-Kermit Digest         Mon, 22 Jul 1985       Volume 3 : Number  6

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	Kermit-11 User Manual
	Kermit Distribution Updated on Okstate

  MISCELLANY -
	Long Packets and Sliding Windows
	Kermit Problem with Z100 MS-DOS2 Solved
	MacKermit 0.8, UNIX C-Kermit Problems
	Tools for Ascii/Ebcdic Conversion Tables for TSO Kermit
	MS-DOS Kermit vs Professional Graphics Adapter?

Date:     Thu, 18-JUL-1985 16:53 EST
From:     <BRIAN@UOFT02>
Subject:  Kermit-11 User Manual

I will send two files, K11USR.DOC and .RNO, to you after this; this is the
Kermit-11 User Manual, shaped like a Kermit User Guide chapter but written
using Runoff rather than Scribe.  You folks can do with them what you may,
though they should be placed with the rest of the k11 files on cuvma, cu20b,
and your vax that you make the tapes on.

[Ed. - The files are installed with the other K11 files in K2:K11USR.* on
CU20B, and on CUVMA for KERMSRV.  Thanks, Brian! ]

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jul 85 00:23:32 CDT (Sat)
From: vasoll%okstate.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Kermit Distribution Updated on Okstate

I have received and installed the latest Kermit tapes (thanks for sending
them) on our system.  I have moved the distribution area into a more
"normal" location (/usr/spool/uucppublic) on our system and I have split it
into two areas, one for each tape.  The area that was generated from TAPE A
(the micro Kermits) is called /usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-a and the area
that was generated from TAPE B (the mainframe Kermits) is called
/usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-b.

The default directory for our "kermsrv" login will be changed to
/usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-a and users will be allowed to CWD to
/usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-b.  UUCP users will just have to specify the
full path (although ~uucp/kermit-a and ~uucp/kermit-b should also work on
most systems...).  To summarize:

 -  The files that were on TAPE A are in /usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-a/*

 -  The files that were on TAPE B are in /usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-b/*

 -  The Kermit server login "kermsrv" has been modified to use the kermit-a
    area as its default directory and

	REMOTE CWD /usr/spool/uucppublic/kermit-b

    will take you to the other area.  For those systems not supporting
    REMOTE commands, the server will also accept full pathnames in GET
    requests.

Mark

[Ed. - Thanks Mark, and thanks again for providing this service.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 85 09:19:04 EDT
From: Brian_Borchers%RPI-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Long Packets and Sliding Windows

We use Kermit here for host to host transfers over Telenet and Datapac, and
the long packet extension seems ideal for this purpose.

Unfortunately, our operating system (MTS) doesn't really allow asynchronous
reads, which might cause problems with a sliding window scheme.  I'm
interested in seeing the actual proposal.

[Ed. - It will appear in the next digest.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 85 10:17:49 PDT
From: klee@sri-spam (Ken Lee)
Subject: Kermit Problem with Z100 MS-DOS2 Solved

Thanks to all those who responed to my request for help with Kermit on
MS-DOS2.  My version of Kermit worked fine on ZDOS, but failed when I
tried to use it with DOS2.  Apparently, DOS2 causes the Z100 to drop
the data terminal ready (DTR) signal to the modem when Kermit attempts
to receive a file.  The modem interpets this as a signal to quit and
drops the telephone line.  By optioning the modem to ignore the DTR
signal from the Z100, I now have kermit working properly.

Ken Lee

[Ed. - Thanks for the pointer; I've placed it in MSZ100.BWR so others can
benefit from it.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Jul 85 12:24:17 pdt
From: westjw%frog@Nosc (Joel West c/o NOSC San Diego)
Subject: MacKermit 0.8, UNIX C-Kermit Problems

Before I nit-pick, I'd like to say how much I like the keymap program, even
if it was only designed for EMACS hackers. :-) I've chosen the assignment
BS=^H; Shift-BS=DEL; Ctl-BS, Enter=<esc>; although I may change this for vi
later.  (in BSD, you use ~ and ` a lot, and the Ctl-Shift-~ of MacTerminal
is a real pain).

[Ed. - Of course, you can have as many different settings files as you like;
just double-click the one you want to start up Kermit with the appropriate
settings and key map.]

Two problems with MacKermit:

    #1  files never go into folders, always desktop.  This must
	be a "feature", since it's easier to default the file to
	the disk (FlFldr=0) than to the desktop (FlFldr=-2)

[Ed. - Like it says in the manual, they go into whatever folder the settings
file was in that you started Kermit from, otherwise on the desktop.]

    #2	if you receive a file (interactive), toggle disk drives
	and insert a new disk, it bombs during initialization.
	The only time this happened was using RAM Disk "RamStart"
	off of net.sources.mac.

[Ed. - This will be added to the beware file.]

Also, I'm using the April C-Kermit (BSD 4.2) off of mod.sources.  When I
upload files from UNIX to the Mac, I'm not getting a size packet -- or at
least, the Mac isn't printing the expected size.  This is the only thing I
like better about MacTerminal than Kermit -- but the keymap and more
reliable transfers means I've thrown MacTerminal away.

[Ed. - Unfortunately, this requires the sender to include an "attribute
packet", which C-Kermit does not yet do.]

Keep up the good work.

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 85 21:18:22 PDT
From: VSS7853@UCLAVM
Subject:  Tools for Ascii/Ebcdic Conversion Tables for TSO Kermit

Enclosed are three Fortran 77 programs I wrote as aids to installing TSO
Kermit when non-standard TCAM tables are used by MVS to communicate with
Ascii terminals.

The first two programs, ATOE.FOR and ETOA.FOR take the actual tables used by
TCAM, which are obtained from the communication's people at one's
installation, and generate assembler source code to replace the tables in
Kermit.  The third, TCAM.FOR, takes the output of the first two and checks
whether the ETOA table is indeed the inverse of the ATOE on the printable
subset as required for Kermit to operate.

If the test fails, Kermit will not run with the existing TCAM tables.  I
suspect, however, that so long as all of the Ascii printables map to
distinct Ebcdic representations, and so long as the range of the Ebcdic-
to-Ascii contains all the Ascii printables, that Kermit could still be made
to work by employing an ETOA which is the inverse of TCAM's Ascii-to-Ebcdic,
an ATOE which is the inverse of TCAM's Ebcdic-to-Ascii, and an additional
ETOA with range contained in the printable subset (and null).  This would
require a bit of analysis and a modest amount of reprogramming on someone's
part but it might add to the number of mvs systems which support Kermit.

The listings include actual output which includes an echo of the input.  The
programs were developed on VAX but the language should be standard 77 except
for the Z format extension.

I hope this helps someone.

 Glenn E. Thobe
 EE dept. UCLA
 iva3get.uclamvs (bitnet)

[Ed. - Listings omitted; they're collected together in K2:TSOETOA.FOR.]

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jul 1985 1354-EDT
From: LCG.KERMIT@MARKET
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit vs Professional Graphics Adapter?

We are having trouble with MS-DOS Kermit V2.27 on an IBM AT with the
professional graphics adapter/display.  At speeds above 1200 baud characters
are lost in terminal emulation mode.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

Carl Houseman
GENICOM Corporation
703-949-1323

[Ed. - On the IBM PC/AT, terminal emulation is very slow if EGA card is
present because the program waits for the vertical retrace operation to
complete, which should not be done with the EGA.  Apparently the same is true
of the Professional Graphics Adapter.  Until this is fixed in the next
release, EGA (and PGA?) users can patch the routine SCRWAIT in MSYIBM to
just return.  If anyone with the PGA tries this, please report the results
to Info-Kermit.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------