[fa.info-kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V3 #27

info-kermit@columbia (10/29/85)

From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>

Info-Kermit Digest         Mon, 29 Oct 1985       Volume 3 : Number 27

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	CU20B Address, Info-Kermit-Request Mail Trouble
	New Release of BBC Acorn Kermit
	Kermit for GEC-4000 Minicomputers
	New ACT Apricot Support for MS-DOS Kermit 2.28
	Kermit for RMX86

  MISCELLANY -
	MacKermit vs Cray
	C-Kermit 4.2(030) Source Wanted
	VMS Kermit-32 bug fix
	CMS-Kermit Expanding Tabs on Receive
	C-Kermit on Diskette for Chromatics 7900?

Date: Mon 28 Oct 85 12:42:42-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: CU20B Address, Info-Kermit-Request Mail Trouble

Apologies to all who have had trouble with the host address change for CU20B.
It was announced correctly in the last issue of Info-Kermit, but unfortunately
it was reported incorrectly to the NIC, which had CU20B listed as [128.59.32.1]
rather than [128.59.32.128] for several days.  Apologies also to those who
had trouble mailing to Info-Kermit or Info-Kermit-Request at CU20B, even when
the host address was right -- it all started when a disk filled up...
Everything should be back to normal now.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 28 Oct 85 12:42:30-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New Release of BBC Acorn Kermit

This is to announce Version 1.02 of BBC Acorn Kermit from Alan Phillips of
Lancaster University, UK.  It includes significant improvements and bug
fixes over the current release, and is in extensive use in the UK.  The files
are in KER:BBC*.* on CU20B, available via anonymous FTP.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 28 Oct 85 12:45:02-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit for GEC-4000 Minicomputers

This is to announce Kermit for the British GEC 4000 Series minicomputers with
OS4000/RAL from Martin Loach of Rutherford-Appleton Laboratories.  The files
are in KER:GEC*.* on CU20B.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 28 Oct 85 12:50:08-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New ACT Apricot Support for MS-DOS Kermit 2.28

This is to announce a new release of the ACT Apricot support for MS-DOS
Kermit 2.28 from Ralph Mitchell of Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex,
UK.  The files are in KER:MS*APR.* on CU20B.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 28 Oct 85 12:52:52-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit for RMX86

This is to announce a second Kermit program for Intel x86/xx systems with
the RMX86 operating system.  This one is written in PL/M by Robert Schamberger,
Wilson Lab, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14583.  It is available on CU20B as
KER:RMX*.* (the other one is in KER:I86*.*; they are completely different
programs -- reviews or comparisons would be appreciated).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 85 12:18 pst
From: "pugh jon%b.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: MacKermit vs Cray

I have been trying to use the MacKermit version 0.8(33) with our Cray
supercomputers and it has failed to go.  I have an earlier version of
Kermit from Stanford that does work.  The PC Kermit also works, but only
version 2.27 which is because it ignores an echoed packet, or so I am told.

I have tried using Kermit-PC version 2.26 with our Crays and it exhibits
the same symptoms MacKermit does.  I was wondering if MacKermit could be
modified by the creator there at Columbia to ignore the echoed packet that
gets returned.  Perhaps an investigation into the changes between the two
versions of Kermit-PC would be helpful.  I am willing to help in any way
that I can, including lots of testing.

For information purposes, I am a consultant at the National Magnetic Fusion
Energy Computer Center in Livermore, California, and we have users all over
the country using our four Crays.  It would be beneficial if we could have
Kermit working for all the physicists trying to use their Macs with our
Crays.  I would personally hate to see people forced to use a PC.  Yuck!

                                                Yours Truly,
                                                  Jon Pugh

[Ed. - MacKermit suffers from a bug endemic to all the current releases of
C-Kermit, having to do with padding.  The problem is that whenever padding
is being used, and the padding character is not null (0), the checksum is
calculated incorrectly, and seems to only effect the Crays, since they are
the only ones that need non-null padding on Kermit packets.  The problem
will be fixed in the next release.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 85 10:34:39 CDT
From: Gregg Wonderly <gregg%okstate.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: C-Kermit 4.2(030) Source Wanted

We want to update our Kermit server to the current release level, but have
misplaced the original source we worked from, preventing us from getting
diffs to show the changes we have to install to the current release.  Does
anyone out there have vanilla source for the C-Kermit which announces itself
as "C-Kermit 4.2(030) PRERELEASE # 2, 5 March 85"?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 85 16:35:33 edt
From: jso@edison.Berkeley.EDU (John Owens)
Subject: VMS Kermit-32 bug fix

Here is code for two changes to VMS Kermit 3.1.066.  In the diffs I changed
the version number to 3.1.067, but you should do whatever is appropriate with
that.  The first change is to the VMSMSG module to correct a bug with CRC mode.
Previously, if you sent 8 bit data without 8 bit quoting, the CRC would be
computed incorrectly, since the code stripped the high bit if parity was none.
The fix is just to reverse the condition and strip the high bit if the parity
is NOT none.  Diffs to the .MAR file are enclosed, but you should rebuild it
from the .BLI file instead - my changes are just hacks by hand, since I don't
have a BLISS compiler.

[Ed. - Code omitted, but added to KER:VMSMIT.BWR.]

The second change is optional, and is just my preference.  This change, to
the VMSMIT module, makes FINISH not cause the program to exit, but just to
return to the Kermit-32 prompt, so that, for example, statistics could
be printed.  This agrees with what C-Kermit does, but I believe Kermit-20
exits the program on a FINISH....  Remember not to even bother with the diffs
to the .MAR file if you have access to a Bliss-32 compiler - my changes are
definitely not what the compiler would do.

[Ed. - Code also omitted, but added to KER:VMSMIT.BWR.]

John Owens				UUCP:
General Electric Company		  ...!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!edison!jso
Factory Automated Products Division	Compuserve: 76317,2354
Charlotesville, VA			Phone:	(804) 978-5726

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 85 21:44:59 pst
From: gts%ucbopal@columbia.arpa
Subject: CMS-Kermit Expanding Tabs on Receive

I struggled over whether to expand tabs during receive or not.  Clearly
leaving the file alone is more flexible for the experienced CMS user.
However, most of our users do not want to bring up XEDIT and EXPAND tabs on
every file they upload.  Most of the systems that use Kermit to send to CMS
use the tab8 convention and use it freely without the users direct knowledge
of it (msdos,cpm,unix).  I have decided to make tab expansion on receive the
default and use a modeless prefix to disable it.

Also, that mod I submitted (UCB09) is flawed because it depends on being
able to overflow the ARBUF by 8 characters which is only OK because
CMS-Kermit 2.01 misallocates the buffer in the first place.  Please remove
UCB09 until I fix it.

Greg Small                                    (415)642-5979
Microcomputer Networking & Communications     gts@ucbopal.Berkeley.ARPA
214 Evans Hall CFC                            ucbvax!ucbjade!ucbopal!gts
University of California                      SPGGTS@UCBCMSA.BITNET
Berkeley, Ca 94720

------------------------------

Date: Fri 25 Oct 85 13:14:50-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: C-Kermit on Diskette for Chromatics 7900?

Gina Morinaka of Hercules Aerospace in Utah needs to get C-Kermit on an
8" diskette for the Chromatics 7900 workstation.  If you can help her,
please call 801-250-3776.

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------