[net.music.folk] Future of Silly Wizard and The Boys of the Lough

sofo@ihuxm.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (12/10/84)

   One or two months ago I had heard something to the effect that Aly Bain
   from the Boys of the Lough and Phil Cunningham from Silly Wizard were
   involved in an automobile accident that killed Aly and injured Phil
   so badly that he'll never be able to play again. I haven't heard
   anymore about this and was wondering if anyone out there can substantiate
   this horrible news.
                                              Thanks
                                              Terry Bermes

rgs@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Robert Stockton) (12/12/84)

Andy Stewart was recently playing here, and mentioned (to the best of my
recollection) that the all of Silly Wizard (including both Cunninghams) would
be touring again as soon as Phil recovered from his injuries.  I would
therefore have to assume that Phil was not as badly injured as you heard.  I
don't recall having heard anything about Aly Bain though.

                                        Robert Stockton
					ARPA: rgs@CMU-CS-SPICE.ARPA
					UUCP: ...!seismo!rgs@CMU-CS-SPICE

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (12/12/84)

>    One or two months ago I had heard something to the effect that Aly Bain
>    from the Boys of the Lough and Phil Cunningham from Silly Wizard were
>    involved in an automobile accident that killed Aly and injured Phil
>    so badly that he'll never be able to play again. I haven't heard
>    anymore about this and was wondering if anyone out there can substantiate
>    this horrible news.
>                                               Thanks
>                                               Terry Bermes

I first heard about the accident by word of mouth, and there was a mention
on the Prairie Home Companion once (perhaps this should be in net.wobegon..).
I later read something -- I think in the obit column of the Black Sheep
Review (a folk rag out of Boston) or Come For To Sing (out of Chicago).
It was a freak accident - something like a tree falling on the car (this
is the part from word of mouth).

Tich Richardson (the guitarist from Boys of the Lough) was the one killed,
not Aly Bain.   I heard that Phil Cunningham's hand was severely damaged
and that they were going to operate, but it was unclear whether or not
he would be able to play again.  Let's hope and pray.

As for the future of Silly Wizard, I was under the impression that they
had more or less broken up -- Phil Cunningham was supposed to be touring
last month with Andy Stewart (Manus Lunny (Donal's brother) from the
band The Wild Geese substituted on the tour),  and Martin Haddon
(the keyboard and bass player) is touring this month with Jane Rothfield
and Alan Carr (plug: they will be playing in San Francisco at Plowshares,
Fort Mason Center, this coming Sunday 12/16).

--
	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598

mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (12/12/84)

In article <1172@ihuxm.UUCP> sofo@ihuxm.UUCP (Terry Bermes) writes:

>   One or two months ago I had heard something to the effect that Aly Bain
>   from the Boys of the Lough and Phil Cunningham from Silly Wizard were
>   involved in an automobile accident that killed Aly and injured Phil
>   so badly that he'll never be able to play again. I haven't heard
>   anymore about this and was wondering if anyone out there can substantiate
>   this horrible news.
>                                              Thanks
>                                              Terry Bermes

   Almost correct.  It was Tich Richardson, the guitar player from the
Boys of the Lough, who was killed.  Phil Cunningham, who was driving,
injured his hand, but was otherwise not badly hurt and was released
from the hospital after a few days.  It's not clear how much permanent
injury he will have.

   I haven't heard what the immediate plans for the Boys of the Lough are.

						Matt Fichtenbaum

keesan@bbncca.ARPA (Morris Keesan) (12/12/84)

-----------------------------------
Aly Bain is alive and well, to the best of my knowledge.  Tich Richardson, the
most recent addition to the Boys of the Lough, was killed in the car accident
which injured Phil Cunningham.

    I had heard that Silly Wizard had disbanded before the accident.  Certainly
Johnny Cunningham hadn't been with them for some time, since he lives in
Philadelphia now.

    The Boys of the Lough have regrouped three times previously, so I would
expect them to be performing again with a replacement for Tich within a year
or so.
--
			    Morris M. Keesan
			    {decvax,linus,ihnp4,wivax,wjh12,ima}!bbncca!keesan

wdr@faron.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (12/13/84)

	From: keesan@bbncca.ARPA (Morris Keesan)
	Subject: Re: Future of Silly Wizard and The Boys of the Lough
	Date: Wed, 12-Dec-84 12:21:01 EST

	Aly Bain is alive and well, to the best of my knowledge.  Tich
	Richardson, the most recent addition to the Boys of the Lough,
	was killed in the car accident which injured Phil Cunningham.

True.  Haven't heard that Aly Bain has had any accidents.  Phil is
expected to be fine; his hand has recovered sufficiently that he has
been playing piano again since October.

	I had heard that Silly Wizard had disbanded before the
	accident.  Certainly Johnny Cunningham hadn't been with
	them for some time, since he lives in Philadelphia now.

True.  Johnny dropped out after the '81 tour to move to Philly.  He
joined them as a guest at Sanders Theatre on their '82 and '83 Farwell
Tours.  Johnny & Phil did a tour together last year.  Phil was
scheduled to do a Tour with Andy M. Stewart, lead singer for Silly
Wizard, which he had to drop.  (Manus Lunny of County Kildare, guitar,
bouzouki, and gaelic singing, filled in.).  Andy announced at the gig
at the Old Irish Alehouse and other gigs of the tour that Silly Wizard
would make a Reunion Tour May of '85--Andy, Johnny, Phil, Martin
Hadden, and Gordon Jones, and possibly including Manus, too.

	The Boys of the Lough have regrouped three times previously, so
	I would expect them to be performing again with a replacement
	for Tich within a year or so.  --

They are booked for Sanders Theatre in Cambridge March 1st, '85.

--

  William Ricker
  wdr@MITRE-Bedford.ARPA					(MIL)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".