[net.music.folk] 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home'

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (01/11/85)

>From: dsc@daemon.UUCP (David S. Comay)
>Subject: `When Johnny Comes Marching Home'
>
>Can anyone give me any information about the famous folk song that goes
>`When Johnny comes marching home again ...'?  I am curious as to who
>(if known) wrote the song, when and where it was published (I think it
>is an Irish folk song ...  my favorite!), and if the words and music
>are printed in any books? Thanks very much.
>
>David

The original version of the song is an Irish lament titled "Johnny I Hardly
Knew  You".  I'm  not  sure where you'll find it published, though any good
folk reference should have it.  The verses I remember (as  sung  by  Terrea
Lea) are listed below.

BTW, are there any other Terrea Lea fans out there?  She's been out of  the
music world for some time now (last performance I remember was circa 1973).
She did most of her performing at  The  Garret,  a  coffee  house  in  West
Hollywood (which she owned), but also put out about half a dozen albums and
made numerous TV appearances (remember The Folk World of  Jimmy  Rodgers?).
After  The Garret closed she performed at the Ice House in Pasadena and The
Blah Blah in North Hollywood.  Is this nostalgia to anyone else,  or  am  I
the only old folkie around?

                         JOHNNY I HARDLY KNEW YOU

With your guns and drums and drums and guns
Haroo, haroo
With your guns and drums and drums and guns
Haroo, haroo
With your guns and drums and drums and guns
The enemy nearly slew you.
Oh darlin'John it's been so long.   {or: Oh darlin' dear you do look queer.}
Johnny I hardly knew you.

Where are your legs that used to run?
Haroo, haroo
Where are your legs that used to run?
Haroo, haroo
Where are your legs that used to run
When first you went to carry a gun?
I fear your dancing days are done.
Johnny I hardly knew you.

Where are your eyes that were so mild?
Haroo, haroo
Where are your eyes that were so mild?
Haroo, haroo
Where are your eyes that were so mild
When first my young heart you beguiled?
Oh, why did you run from me and the child?
Johnny I hardly knew you.

You haven't an arm and you haven't a leg
Haroo, haroo
You haven't an arm and you haven't a leg
Haroo, haroo
You haven't an arm and you haven't a leg
You're a hopless shell of a man on a peg
And you'll have to be put with a bowl to beg.
Johnny I hardly knew you.

They're rolling out the guns again
Haroo, haroo
They're rolling out the guns again
Haroo, haroo
They're rolling out the guns again
But they'll never take our sons again.
No they'll never take our sons again
Johnny I'm swearing to you.

   ... sitting in a pile of junk on the runway, wondering what happened ...

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe