[net.music.folk] Which record would you take to a desert island?

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (01/28/85)

For no significant reason, I'd like to conduct a USENET poll (Upoll?
no, I poll... where was I). In short,

	Which record would you take with you on a desert island?

This island is equipped with suitably solar powered audio equipment.
This is a single "unit", i.e. 33 rpm lp, cassette or CD. EPs and 45s
are OK, though I expect one would seek to maximize the amount of music.
Double and triple albums are OK if they were released *together* originally,
so something like "The collected works of the Rolling Stones" (available
on a small, hi-fi label) is not allowed. The unit also has to have been
commercially available at one point (out of print stuff is OK) so
a cassette that you made with your 15 favorite pieces by your 5 favorite
composers/performers is not allowed. Remember, this is a *SINGLE* unit,
that you would be willing to be marooned with for the rest of your life
with no TV, no SO or any other pleasurable items or creatures.

Please mail responses to me, I will post poll results around early March

Marcel Simon
{ihnp4!allegra!vax-135!ulysses}!mhuxr!mfs

kenw@lcuxc.UUCP (K Wolman) (01/30/85)

I hope I get this right:

Beethoven's String Quartet #16, Op. 131
--
Ken Wolman
Bell Communications Research @ Livingston, NJ

". . . Toto, I think we're not in the Bronx anymore. . . ."

3b2adm4@ihlpm.UUCP (Darlene Archibald) (01/31/85)

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (02/01/85)

In article <195@lcuxc.UUCP> kenw@lcuxc.UUCP (K Wolman) writes:

>Beethoven's String Quartet #16, Op. 131

OK, ken, fine.  Now please tell us WHY you would take Beethoven's String
Quartet #16, Op. 131 to a desert Island as your only choice?

(It IS a very fine piece, though.  No argument from me there...)
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (02/02/85)

> > kjf;a
> I hope I get this right:
> >
> > Beethoven's String Quartet #16, Op. 131
> > --
> > Ken Wolman
> > Bell Communications Research @ Livingston, NJ
> > lcuxc!kenw
> > (201) 740-4565
> >
> > ". . . Toto, I think we're not in the Bronx anymore. . . ."
>
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

Sheesh!!! Some people can't follow a simple instruction!!! :-)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE!! ***

I did... I did...

ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) (02/05/85)

I would vote for maybe "HPSCHD" by John Cage and Lejaren Hiller,
or maybe "The Photographer" by Philip Glass. Or
"In A Glass House" by Gentle Giant. Tough choice.

dlb@stcvax.UUCP (David Black) (02/07/85)

I'd take Husker Du's "Zen Arcade," just to hear B. Mould scream
"I will never forget you."  He's got the feeling right.

		David @ if this is chapter 11, what's 12 like?